• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

And just for good measure since we are winging the skys, you can't do that without your "Wings Of America" pilots badge. (Offered right on the cover of the very first issue). Also pictured is the "Junior Flying Legion" brass wings badge from Ace Comics in the early 1940's.

comicbookbadges_zps93aca84f.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Wonderful stuff Rob.

These have to be the best preserved (colour wise) Wings covers ever. It's fantastic seeing exactly how they must have presented on the newsstands of the day, rather than the almost universally faded copies so often found today.

Sure, they're trimmed in the binding process, but if that's the price to be paid for preserving the rest of the book in such a lovely fashion, then so be it.

Why did Tuska note specifically #5? He has a credit in #1 (shrug)

It must have been a secretary or some one with a little time on their hands. I doubt they had to sign many because I have only seen one other one. The "To my Pal Silver Streak" is printed with a space for the kid's name in center. Mine is pretty beat but I was glad to find it.

Anyone got a Silver Streak that offers it?

17615234336_4255d95b0f_c.jpg

Bob, did you get the Wings bound volume from Dan Medart (Altair-4)?

As a matter of fact yes. Did you see it with him? He also had the second volume of Planet but had it promised to some one else. Was that you? It had the nicest #15 that probably exists!

Previous one is a fiche scan from SS 8 and this one is from SS 10.

17454471588_f7233a06fe_b.jpg

17642294835_b19c333e91_b.jpg

Thanks BB! That's what I wanted to see. I wonder how many issues it was offered.

That's a great catch - really interesting considering how the contest ran after Daredevil & Company had basically already taken over the magazine.

Bob, did you get the Wings bound volume from Dan Medart (Altair-4)?

As a matter of fact yes. Did you see it with him? He also had the second volume of Planet but had it promised to some one else. Was that you? It had the nicest #15 that probably exists!

I was at Dan's house back in the day and saw them on his bookshelf (they weren't for sale at that time).

I have no idea who got the Planet second volume - I would have bought it in a heartbeat if I had known it was for sale.

Hey Gang, Any more Wheel Men out there? I have had a long love affair with the wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth. Nothing like dropping a gear and rolling back the throttle...

A funny cover with a nice bike image. A nice fat 1950 crime comic.

comrealcluecrimemotorcycle_zpsmgidiyyi.jpg

Edited by Robot Man