• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAMBIT MOVIE MADE OFFICIAL (2016)...GOTTA GET X-MEN 266

317 posts in this topic

Who thinks Channing Tatum will be a good choice to play Gambit?

Channing Tatum, and Channing Tatum's agent.

lol This!

I can't see Tatum pulling off a character as unique as Gambit. Keep in mind he didn't land the gig because he's got the look and acting chops to give Gambit justice. He was a shoo-in from the start because Lauren Shuler has a school girl crush on him. According to her...

"He's a rascal, just like Remy LeBeau."

"How can anyone resist Channing? He's such a sweetheart."

:facepalm:

I really hope Tatum proves me wrong.

this threads title was funny when it was made and is still funny. Channing Tatum as Gambit is almost as bad as Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, both are JUST terrible and would never be cast if Marvel had control.

Affleck as Batman is almost as bad, anyone who doesnt realize you want YOUNG and TALENTED actors to turn into stars, not name actors to bring in audiences, is very very far behind the times. It's why First Class DID do well, and why all the Marvel movies do well.

Quality over name recognition....always.

this threads title was funny when it was made and is still funny. Channing Tatum as Gambit is almost as bad as Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, both are JUST terrible and would never be cast if Marvel had control.

Affleck as Batman is almost as bad, anyone who doesnt realize you want YOUNG and TALENTED actors to turn into stars, not name actors to bring in audiences, is very very far behind the times. It's why First Class DID do well, and why all the Marvel movies do well.

Although Affleck was not high on my Batman selection list, he seems to have worked to fit the role. Even beefing up to make his performance more believable. Since I haven't seen the movie yet, I can't judge if he hit a home run or not. But his past few movies demonstrated an actor that has matured into better performances.

Tatum has been one of those announcements I felt like there is just no fit. I hope I am wrong. Fox may have been better off with Taylor Kitsch.

While I think Tatum as Gambit is a brutal choice - you can't really say that Marvel movies in general don't have big star power in them (star power prior to being in their movies) - Sam Jackson, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlet Johansson, Paul Rudd, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Ruffalo/Ed Norton - these were all/are all big name actors prior to their Marvel debuts. So its not like Marvel is just creating good actors out of the unknown - hell you could easily argue Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner were big actors prior to their Avengers stints.

But what Marvel does well is choose the actor based on the role and not try to shoe-horn an actor into a specific role (i.e., RDJ is the real life version of Tony Stark (minus the genius thing)).

Edited by Chillax23

you can't really say that Marvel movies in general don't have big star power in them

But what Marvel does well is choose the actor based on the role and not try to shoe-horn an actor into a specific role (i.e., RDJ is the real life version of Tony Stark (minus the genius thing)).

Robert Downey Jr. - When they cast him it was considered a big risk, due to his past. They both needed each other, and both took a chance on the other(Marvel Studios being unproven), and everybody won.

Sam Jackson - is not much more than a plot device, but I think they chose a name actor that people like because he was the one to be teasing the shared universe.

Scarlet Johansson - she was already a big name, but not top tier, they have cemented her there.

Benedict Cumberbatch - big name, which is not the norm for marvel, but selected because of his acting skills, not his name recognition.

Paul Rudd - not a big name

Mark Ruffalo/Ed Norton - neither were big stars

Chris Evans - not a big star, and was already a MCU character under fox, they knew better

Jeremy Renner - not a big star

As well you left out:

Chis Hemsworth - not a big star

Chris Pratt - not a big star

and the first Class actors I mentioned:

James McAvoy - not a big star

Michael Fassbender - not a big star

Jennifer Lawrence - not a big star (when cast)

Nicholas Hoult - not a big star

"So its not like Marvel is just creating good actors out of the unknown." - i didnt say they were making them good, I said they were making them into "suprestars", they were chosen because they were talented.

And guys like Rudd, Boseman, etc, will become A-list stars as well. Marvel is churning out the mega-stars and making careers left right and center.

DC has learned from this, and has improved their casting choices, and started modeling it after what Marvel has done. Affleck is the last of the old way of doing things, and his increased success at the academy was how they justified casting him.

People dont want name actors, they want GOOD movies. 10 years ago, you would see people like Will Smith cast as the Black Panther, or Tom Hanks as an older Hank Pym, etc. Thank goodness those days are dead and gone.

Although Affleck was not high on my Batman selection list, he seems to have worked to fit the role. Even beefing up to make his performance more believable. Since I haven't seen the movie yet, I can't judge if he hit a home run or not. But his past few movies demonstrated an actor that has matured into better performances.

It's not about whether he can look the part, or do a good job acting in it (which will hinge more on the -script then him). It's about whether when you are watching it you think, "Batman", or "Ben Affleck". No matter how good he does, or how good the material is, if the actor distracts from the character it diminishes the experience. I want to see Batman, not Ben Affleck 'as' Batman. Same with Ryan Reynolds in ANYTHING, and Channing Tatum as a superhero.

Edited by CBT

you can't really say that Marvel movies in general don't have big star power in them

Robert Downey Jr. - When they cast him it was considered a big risk, due to his past. They both needed each other, and both took a chance on the other(Marvel Studios being unproven), and everybody won.

Sam Jackson - is not much more than a plot device, but I think they chose a name actor that people like because he was the one to be teasing the shared universe.

Scarlet Johansson - she was already a big name, but not top tier, they have cemented her there.

Benedict Cumberbatch - big name, which is not the norm for marvel, but selected because of his acting skills, not his name recognition.

Paul Rudd - not a big name

Mark Ruffalo/Ed Norton - neither were big stars

Chris Evans - not a big star, and was already a MCU character under fox, they knew better

Jeremy Renner - not a big star

As well you left out:

Chis Hemsworth - not a big star

Chris Pratt - not a big star

and the first Class actors I mentioned:

James McAvoy - not a big star

Michael Fassbender - not a big star

Jennifer Lawrence - not a big star (when cast)

Nicholas Hoult - not a big star

"So its not like Marvel is just creating good actors out of the unknown." - i didnt say they were making them good, I said they were making them into "suprestars", they were chosen because they were talented.

And guys like Rudd, Boseman, etc, will become A-list stars as well. Marvel is churning out the mega-stars and making careers left right and center.

DC has learned from this, and has improved their casting choices, and started modeling it after what Marvel has done. Affleck is the last of the old way of doing things, and his increased success at the academy was how they justified casting him.

People dont want name actors, they want GOOD movies. 10 years ago, you would see people like Will Smith cast as the Black Panther, or Tom Hanks as an older Hank Pym, etc. Thank goodness those days are dead and gone.

It's not about whether he can look the part, or do a good job acting in it (which will hinge more on the -script then him). It's about whether when you are watching it you think, "Batman", or "Ben Affleck". No matter how good he does, or how good the material is, if the actor distracts from the character it diminishes the experience. I want to see Batman, not Ben Affleck 'as' Batman. Same with Ryan Reynolds in ANYTHING, and Channing Tatum as a superhero.

Renner - before playing Hawkeye had two academy award nominations in Hurt Locker (2009) and the Town (2010) - so pretty sure that qualifies as being a big deal.

Johansson - IMO already was top tier and would have been top tier regardless of Black Widow fame

Ed Norton - had several big movies to his name (Primal Fear, American History X, The Illusionist, Rounders, Painted Veil, Italian Job, Red Dragon, 25th hour) before he played the Hulk. Not to mention winning Golden Globes and being nominated for Oscars.

Paul Rudd - had several big movies before agreeing to be Antman (Anchorman 1 and 2, 40 year old virgin, I Love you Man, Knocked Up, This is 40, Wanderlust). So while Antman is certainly a departure, Paul Rudd is a very well known and big actor prior to him agreeing to do Antman.

I can agree on the Chris trimumverate for Marvel not being household names and agree on the first class cast. But Marvel is at best 50/50 when it comes to not choosing big stars.

But I also agree with you - I don't want well known actors to play superheroes - and I think choosing Affleck as Batman was a poor choice.

Edited by Chillax23

In your opinion, why is Ryan Reynolds a bad choice for Deadpool? Because he's a well known actor?

In your opinion, why is Ryan Reynolds a bad choice for Deadpool? Because he's a well known actor?

He's great in rom-coms, terrible in everything else. Green Lantern (or wolverin origins, blade 3 if you like), is all that really needs to be said about his superhero resume

Renner - before playing Hawkeye had two academy award nominations in Hurt Locker (2009) and the Town (2010) - so pretty sure that qualifies as being a big deal.

Ed Norton - had several big movies to his name (Primal Fear, American History X, The Illusionist, Rounders, Painted Veil, Italian Job, Red Dragon, 25th hour) before he played the Hulk. Not to mention winning Golden Globes and being nominated for Oscars.

Paul Rudd - had several big movies before agreeing to be Antman (Anchorman 1 and 2, 40 year old virgin, I Love you Man, Knocked Up, This is 40, Wanderlust). So while Antman is certainly a departure, Paul Rudd is a very well known and big actor prior to him agreeing to do Antman.

None of them were house hold names, or A-list actors prior to their Marvel movies. I wasnt meaning they discovered them completely, but they werent taking proven box office drawing actors and forcing them into characters.

Johansson - IMO already was top tier and would have been top tier regardless of Black Widow fame

I did say something pretty similar about her, but Marvel cemented her as top tier, and after which she was headlining big budget movies (Lucy for instance) instead of being a supporting Actress.

I can agree on the Chris trimumverate for Marvel not being household names and agree on the first class cast. But Marvel is at best 50/50 when it comes to not choosing big stars.

But I also agree with you - I don't want well known actors to play superheroes - and I think choosing Affleck as Batman was a poor choice.

Agreed

For me, A-list actors, are ones who get big budget movies specifically for them. Ben Affleck has been that for many years, those are NOT the kind of people you want cast into characters as it is distracting.

Adding them in supporting roles (Nolan's batman for example) is a great way to add gravitas to a movie, but you want your main character to be someone up and coming, with great acting chops. That's the recipe for success imo.