• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Ashcan Scan

143 posts in this topic

I'm willing to admit that I've never seen or heard of that ashcan before... I'm also willing to admit I'm not yet convinced it's real, but if it is it's a pretty big deal.

ravencomics is that yours or did you just get the scan from someone? There are a few things about that image that make me suspicious.

I don't think it's real. I doubt that there would have been that kind of half-tone shading on Batman's costume back then.

I'm also leaning towards it not being real, but the "half-tone" shading isn't that problematic. If this was real, they probably would have printed the cover using only the Black plate from the original four color plate set. A dark blue on the original 'Tec #35 would have been a moire pattern of black printed over blue.Gray would have been a less dense moire with a little blue or nothing under it. If you look at the Superman ashcan, notice the interior of Supe's cape- this also looks "half-tone" in a small image (like the one posted in the Superman ashcan thread). We would need to see a much larger and sharper image of the supposed Batman ashcan to know what the deal with the gray is.

Also, raven: If you want to lend credence to this thread, you might want to let us know the origin of the image.

On second thought, the "half-tone" IS important... But not on Batman's costume. Where it's important is on the thin sliver of wall above the door and behind Batman's head. On the Detective #35 cover, this area is bright red- even if it was slightly darkened, there would be very little black involved. On the ashcan cover, this area is something like a 50% gray- way too dark to have been on the original 'Tec #35 black plate. If it was part of the plate, the diagonal banner on the left of the cover (which is the same color on the #35 cover) would have the same "half-tone". Whoever Photoshoped this mock-up cover must have missed that..

Detective #35:

tec_35.jpg

close-up:

tec_35c.jpg

Same area on "Ashcan":

batmanash.jpg

PS- If this turns out to be real, I will eat yummy yummy crow, happily.

what do you think!

raven

I think it's a joke and that this post (and every other one you've made on the subject so far) highlights the fact that it's a joke, in lights.

I'm not sure why any critical debate is going on and rather think that you should be given an A for effort in the keeping us amused department. [Let's face it, you even "drew a picture" here!]

Also, from the look of the black in the ashcan logo, it looks like whoever printed that cover needs to clean the heads on their ink-jet...

Exactly. The printer lines are a dead give-away. Everyone knows they used laser printers to create ashcans.

that sliver above batman's head is white on the original like i said before took picture of comic bad picture then i scanned it and posted it .

raven

In my best caveman voice *ahem* - "Mmmm....took picture. Bad picture. Bicture BAAAAD!"

Thank you. Thank you very much. acclaim.gif

if you do not like Batman comics scan do not reply, i thought some comic guys would find it interesting and maybe a little topic for discussion.Otherwise I am happy with my book and golden age interior which is inside is Detective #37 batman story only. Any questions in regards to if it is real all i can say is it smells real to me , and that is all that matters, anyone that has anything constructive to say post otherwise go look for your own under the Alamo or in your kitty litter box, I thought this forum was for discussion not third degree on every post someone makes, so happy comic searching!!

raven thumbsup2.gif