• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Ashcan Scan

143 posts in this topic

In my conversations with Paul Levitz and others, DC was very skittish back in the 30's and 40's regarding trademarks and copyrights. This was the result of Donenfeld's pulp roots where they may have gotten burned once or twice. They would even produce ashcans in anticipation of publishing a new title - just in case they ever did. The obvious missing DC ashcans are Batman and Green Lantern. Why these have never turned up is open to speculation. All signs point to their existence, but none have ever been found.

It a beater, but it's my beater! Just picked this up recently on Ebay. Hope to upgrade eventually, but for now I'm just happy to have a filler

I hear that. There's no beater like the one you actually own! I've added that puppy to my want list - maybe Wondercon will come through! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I've been meaning to ask, is the "dope" those kids are on marijuana or something else - I collect pre-code marijuana stories, but not drug stories in general, so I'm curious. Or is this along the lines of issue #45, which if I recall - either doesn't actually contain a "hop-head killer" story - or it's text only.

I've been meaning to ask, is the "dope" those kids are on marijuana or something else - I collect pre-code marijuana stories, but not drug stories in general, so I'm curious. Or is this along the lines of issue #45, which if I recall - either doesn't actually contain a "hop-head killer" story - or it's text only.

In this case, the hot-rod gang does smoke pot- "reefers" that they buy with the money from a brutal mugging. It's only covered in a few panels an it's not especially over-blown.

Maybe I'll post the story. It's actually pretty decent. This copy is beat up enough that scanning it probably won't do any more damage to the copy. Is there a board policy against posting stories where the publisher is long out of business?

This copy is beat up enough that scanning it probably won't do any more damage to the copy. Is there a board policy against posting stories where the publisher is long out of business?

Actually, placing it on a scanner bed might actually end up pressing this book up a grade or two!

But seriously, I doubt you have anything to be worried about from a copyright angle. It's not like you're selling it on a t-shirt either......yet.

I don't think it's going to happen... If it was going to why not just provide that information up front? I figure we've seen the last of raven (at least under that name). I hope I'm wrong though, because this has been fun. devil.gif

i will not provide any more details, I enjoy all my comic books, most are stored in a safe, all that matters to me is for my enjoyment, I thought true comic fans would love to see a scan of the ashcan, I was either right or wrong , but I guess it does not matter ,from now on i will just discuss early action,tecs etc.

thumbsup2.gifraven

Anything doing with Batman Ashcan ask Gary sent him a real high resolution scan,

otherwise let's discuss action ,tec's my superman #1 etc

I do have an ashcan of the new testament if anyone is interested.

raven angel.gif

I believe Gary said he never heard from you.