• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection Cornerstones

37 posts in this topic

The interesting thing about the term "cornerstone" is that it is reflective of the general budget of the individual collector.

I would love to have a couple Frazetta Conan cover paintings as my cornerstones, but instead I've got Byrne X-Men, and Miller Daredevil interiors.

The interesting thing about the term "cornerstone" is that it is reflective of the general budget of the individual collector.

I would love to have a couple Frazetta Conan cover paintings as my cornerstones, but instead I've got Byrne X-Men, and Miller Daredevil interiors.

Yup. I'd love to have Byrne X-men or Miller Daredevil, but instead I have Cockrum X-men (2nd run) and William Johnson Daredevil as my cornerstones.

1sf8f8.jpg

Is he about to take a leak . . . or just a 'big boy'?

:jokealert:

Yeah, the giant butt would be less noticeable if this had come with the title overlay, but I still love it as it is. :cloud9:

Just a note - I really enjoyed reading many of the replies. It is obvious that a collection cornerstone represents a lot of nostalgia for many.

As I tried to go through my collection recently (New Year, time to reflect and make some cuts/reclaim some wall space) I took to heart a lot of what was written. You guys are often a great sounding board.

JH

1sf8f8.jpg

Is he about to take a leak . . . or just a 'big boy'?

:jokealert:

Yeah, the giant butt would be less noticeable if this had come with the title overlay, but I still love it as it is. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

I actually really like the cover, butt and all.

To me, the distinction is simple. 'Cornerstones' you own, 'Grails' you don't.... yet.

Hands-down, my cornerstone is the complete Michael Golden issue #11 of MICRONAUTS from 1979. The whole issue (less the cover, anyone know where it might be??) is in my CAF gallery here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=58556

EtBWaMw.jpg

When it comes to 'grails' I still have a few - but they are well documented elsewhere.

Andrew

To me, the distinction is simple. 'Cornerstones' you own, 'Grails' you don't.... yet.

I think that pretty succinctly says what I was trying to express. :thumbsup:

Well said, I agree. I have a buddy who just acquired his true grail and it took him 10 years to get it. It was the one single page which he wanted over all others so it meets the true definition. I was very happy for him when he was able to make a deal.

No, you definitely can own your grail. It doesn't cease being your grail once you have attained it.

Avengers 225 was the first comic I ever read. I won the cover in an auction years ago. It's far from my most valuable piece, and never generates much conversation when people flip through my collection. I would still consider it my "grail" though not necessarily a cornerstone.

No, you definitely can own your grail. It doesn't cease being your grail once you have attained it.

Avengers 225 was the first comic I ever read. I won the cover in an auction years ago. It's far from my most valuable piece, and never generates much conversation when people flip through my collection. I would still consider it my "grail" though not necessarily a cornerstone.

Right! That summarizes my views better than whatever I said earlier. I have a few cornerstones of my collection, but only one grail. And, the classification is driven by memories, not by value.

Ron

I like the term cornerstone because it doesn't sound as elusive as a grail and is something all of us have.

Having a huge bias for DC Comics stuff, my cornerstone is the alpha male of all comics - Superman. I have this piece of board signed by:

Jerry Siegel - Superman co-creator

Joe Shuster - Superman co-creator

Bob Kane - Batman co-creator

Julius Schwartz - Father of the Silver Age - the most enduring DC characters to date

Joe Kubert - A Legend whose comic art school spawned so many comic artists

and a couple more...

To have all those signatures in one board is just amazing, and I'm not sure there are many boards with Siegel, Shuster, and Kane on it! So this is like "the" piece to start off my entire collection:

ePZ3XV5N_2410131327481.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1064935

Ok, I may have been "cheating" on the answer above since it's not really original comic art - just a set of signatures on art board. So my other answer would be this Super Powers page - which is the last known published interior page Jack Kirby ever pencilled. Kirby is regarded as the greatest superhero comic artist to walk this earth, and what more fitting way then to pencil Superman - the superhero who started it all and the cast of the rest of the DC heroes. So this can also be considered a "cornerstone" for me.

Super-Powers-6-Page-23-Kirby-CAF-1250.jpg

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=981327

Again, thanks for the term cornerstone. Otherwise, I don't really have a true holy grail in my collection - just personal grails which are better referred to as cornerstones.