• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Coin is Coming!

424 posts in this topic

So I read your site. I definitely need to know a little bit about you because the words you are using are words, that's for sure, but none of them make sense in the order you use them.

Could you please state some facts as to why we should invest $5,000 (the approximate conversion price of 1,000,000 Comic Book coins) to you? What guarantee is there that the currency will have any exchange value following its release? What are your qualifications to manage a $5,000 hedge of funds to purchase comics that will increase in value and raise the value (and dividends!) of the stock excuse me coin?

Whoa. There are absolutely, unequivocally zero, none, and less guarantees that the currency will have any value whatsoever. Anyone with that thought should stop even thinking about this coin, and for that matter any crypto coin at all. The market will decide the price of the coin -- period. Full stop.

--- Now, separately from the market trading of CBC, let's say for the sake of argument that CBC raises $1,000 (to use easy numbers), goes out and buys approximately $1,000 in comic books and the coin just slowly fades downward to a total value of say, one dollar. Well, at that point, in the unlikely event that no one buys those coins and interest has just gone away, then we can just sell the comics, pay out everyone's share of the proceeds and call it a day. The coin will then close up shop and we all move on to Comic Book Coin 2 (kidding! :D).

But, that is very different from any guarantees of any trading value or day-to day market price of the coin. They are two separate concepts. If there is confusion on that part, then please don't even think about getting any CBC.

--- As for "qualifications" to run a "hedge fund", I have quite a bit actually, but that is besides the point, because this is not a hedge fund. There will be no hedging, or leveraging or any other investment strategies employed which are commonly associated with hedge funds. Now, if you mean what qualifications do I have to buy comic books for CBC, I have none, especially as I am not sure what they would be. This has never been done before quite like this for comic books that I am aware of. I am not some famous collector or anything, if that is what you mean.

--- And, finally, there is also no guarantee that any comic books will increase in value. Comic books are notoriously finicky and volatile commodities. Both short-term and long-term valuations can depend on many factors in both micro and macro terms. A simple uptick or downtick in the economy, for example can be a factor which alters prices, not to mention what may happen to certain individual comics. Anyway, you all get the idea.

I advise you to contact a team of attorneys immediately. If this actually goes live tomorrow then you are going to need them.

No he won't. You are obviously not familiar with cryptocurrency. There are absolutely zero legal concerns for him in selling his cryptocoins. Nothing illegal about it, nothing required to back it up. He has a stated plan of using those funds to back the coin's value with a comic collection. However crazy that plan may or may not be, he will not require legal services.

Maybe in the UK you are right. I go there often but do not practice law there. I know plenty about cryptocurrency. I also know US law intimately, specifically securities law. Section 5 of the Securities Act requires registration unless it has a qualified exemption. Here are two examples of cryptocurrencies being prosecuted under Section 5.

http://www.sec.gov/News/PressRelease/Detail/PressRelease/1370541972520#.VLZkm8aabM_

Interesting, but that was Voorhees (who I am well aware of) selling shares in SatoshiDICE (a bitcoin gambling website) without the proper paperwork. He's done just fine for himself by the way. He sold SatoshiDICE for 126 thousand Bitcoins. Niiiice.

But your point is taken. I spoke too quickly and assuredly. He can invent and sell cryptocoins til he's blue in the face, but a promise of a share in a material investment could find itself straying into legal responsibilities.

Friday or bust!

I know nothing about crypto beyond an article I read a year ago that basically said I'd need to devote a spare bedroom to coolants for my computers if I wanted to try to be a player in the bitcoin mining game.

But my 10 second Google search of "asset-backed crypto" yielded this:

http://voin.co/beware-the-asset-backed-cryptocurrency-tidal-wave/

And the top hit for "bitcoin" right now:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/as-bitcoins-price-slides-signs-of-a-squeeze/?_r=0

If Bitcoin's plummeting, won't Ripple (the underlying value backing the CBC) be falling as well?

My understanding is that CBC are purchased with Ripple. It's just an intermediate. Ripple price changes wouldn't matter, assuming they aren't sitting on their Ripple.

And yeah Bitcoin has been boringly and reliably downhill for a while now. Ooh just checked and it's gone below $200 now. Ouch.

See when I think of Hoboken(and I've never looked it up or anything. Know absolutely nothing about it) it reminds me of the panel in Maximum Carnage where Shriek is saying she would follow Carnage to hell. He says no, not there. And she says Hoboken. And he says close enough lol

Hey guys. I just wanted to take a moment and announce Comic Book Coin is coming out very soon. We are happy to display the comic book associated with Comic Book Coin in our shop (in fact, we already have the first one).

I find this concept pretty interesting and am excited to see how it turns out. It seems like a fun way to help our hobby and to look at our CGCs in a different way. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. I should be able to answer them for you.

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in the new idea. Take a look!

http://www.comicbookcoin.com/

You can also go to www.bitcointalk.com and search for Comic Book Coin. The official announcement is on there.

Cheers!

Just in case you wanted a serious question about this scheme:

1) Is the intention to cash in the Ripple and use it to purchase comics for 'the collection'?

2) Will you take an administrative fee/slice first? If so, how much?

3) Will you publish the details of all purchases for the collection, including who the seller was?

4) Will the coin be traded on exchanges? (In the model I'm assuming, the value would be pretty much fixed by the current estimated value of the collection).

If operated transparently and ethically, I see no problem with it (though not my thing). If the operator lacked integrity, it is easy to abuse.

Although, I have a phobia about decaying paper and some of the comics I've owned with marginal or worse paper quality terrified me. Could this be the answer? What's going on inside that slab? A deadly stew of gasses killing those pages! What happens every time you return a book to it's sleeve? Knicks and tears and other awful things. Comic coin could be big.

Hey guys. I just wanted to take a moment and announce Comic Book Coin is coming out very soon. We are happy to display the comic book associated with Comic Book Coin in our shop (in fact, we already have the first one).

I find this concept pretty interesting and am excited to see how it turns out. It seems like a fun way to help our hobby and to look at our CGCs in a different way. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. I should be able to answer them for you.

You can also go to www.bitcointalk.com and search for Comic Book Coin. The official announcement is on there.

Cheers!

1) Is the intention to cash in the Ripple and use it to purchase comics for 'the collection'?

3) Will you publish the details of all purchases for the collection, including who the seller was?

4) Will the coin be traded on exchanges? (In the model I'm assuming, the value would be pretty much fixed by the current estimated value of the collection).

If operated transparently and ethically, I see no problem with it (though not my thing). If the operator lacked integrity, it is easy to abuse.

True...but when have you ever heard of collectors and dealers lacking integrity in our beloved hobby/business?

Cheers!

True...but when have you ever heard of collectors and dealers lacking integrity in our beloved hobby/business?

Or the cryptocoin hobby/business for that matter!

OK, guys, you will be happy to hear that this is my last post on this subject!

Well, unless pulled back by popular demand! (Yes, a joke).

It has been, well....I guess, "unusual" might cover it! :D Whether CBC is a success or, as many of you predict, a total bomb (and we will have an inkling soon enough as it opens for trading in less than 6 hours), I will not be bothering you about it any more.

Thanks to all who read the posts and even those giving me...uh...advice! It has been fun and I appreciated the opportunity to discuss CBC with you all.

Hopefully, I can come back some day and post about a comic book or two. And maybe I will see one or two of you on some crypto forums! Thanks again!

I may be mistaken but this is about the fifth time you have said "this is my last post"

He stated earlier in the thread that this altcoin will be traded only on ripple and it was supposed to start today, but I have yet to see it pop up.

I, for one, think this is a great idea. This is the Chicago-style deep dish pizza thread, right?

(opens new browser window…clicks link to Comic Book Coin explanation…head explodes from sheer awesomeness of idea…no wait…sheer bizarreness of idea…then posts)

Oops…my bad. Wrong thread… :facepalm:

Great...now I'm craving Giordanos, thank you. It's only an eight hour drive :sorry:

Jim

:acclaim:

Don't worry…ended up making myself hungry, too. :tonofbricks:

Old Chicago Pizza :cloud9:

Yea no.... Chicago doesn't make pizza. They make Sauce Pie. It's gross. Please NEVER refer to that stuff as pizza.

THIS is pizza

20101029-pizza-lab-1.jpg

Quoted for truth.

You people are all BEGGING for someone to start complaint threads about being off-topic.

:rulez:

:signofftopic:

(Yes, I'm poking fun at the OT police.)