• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #2 CGC 9.4

383 posts in this topic

PLOD is a PLOD is a PLOD. (shrug)

It is a restored book, and the final price will certainly reflect that. Doesn't mean it doesn't look remarkable though.

-J.

My guess is it will sell for 2-4 X more than any public unrestored copy ever has ;)

It is a restored book, and the final price will certainly reflect that. Doesn't mean it doesn't look remarkable though.

-J.

My guess is it will sell for 2-4 X more than any public unrestored copy ever has ;)

Pretty tough to argue with that. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

CGC graded this book conservation. It's not restored.

Same difference.

-J.

The market will eventually differentiate, I suspect.

-J.

Same difference.

-J.

The market will eventually differentiate, I suspect.

I would suspect that was the idea. :baiting:

-J.

There is a subset of collectors in the comic community known as The Cult of Damage (I think it was founded in the1940s by Fu Manchu, but I'm not sure). For them, the comic itself is not important, it is the damage that it has accumulated that is sacrosanct.

Sure... adding paper, color, chemical bleaches, etc., is restoration for better or worse depending upon the situation, and has clearly altered the item itself. But the idea that a careful removal of dust, dirt, skin oils, teriyaki sauce, etc., has "harmed" or "devalued" an item (even though all of the above will continue to inflict even more long-term damage) is a bit bizarre.

I suspect there is not a single Old Masters painting hanging in a museum that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned... for its own benefit. I'm sure there is no Gutenberg Bible that hasn't been rebound, repaired, and deacified. I still wish books would just be given a final-assessment grade rather than a "restored grade", or an "apparent grade", or a "conserved grade" or a "qualified grade"... but I really do think in the end there is a decided difference between conservation procedures, restoration procedures, and just plain amateur taping and gluing. It is not all the "same stuff".

Totally agree.

I personally would be much more interested in a "Conserved" label than a normal PLOD. I think there is an important distinction here. At least with a Conserved label you do not need to wonder how much of the book was replaced / reconstructed.

-J.

Same difference.

-J.

Exactly. If it ain`t untouched, then in the eyes of some collectors, it`s untouchable.

I didn't realize that cover cleaning was conservation. I thought most methods other than dry erasing involved chemicals that could damage the paper and ink. I'd be interested in knowing how the cover was cleaned.

No, big difference between conserved and a frankenbook.

Not in the minds of collectors who only want untouched books.

"9.0 is high grade..."

"Not in the minds of collectors who only want 9.2+..."

OK...clearly the point here is that, for several OTHER collectors in the hobby (myself included), there is a TREMENDOUS difference here. I could not be less interested in frankenbooks, but would certainly be more than happy to consider a Conserved book, especially if priced accordingly. I am sure I am not alone, and I expect prices to bear this out. There is plenty of room between Franken-PLOD and true blue bliss - especially on the high end keys.

But they have been touched. They've been abused by whatever foreign substances have been heaped upon them. And they will continue to degrade forever more while those substances remain on the surface. If you can at least terminate the continuing damage, why not do it?

Now I don't know what the cleaning process was on this... but assuming it is archivally sound, then in some ways a case could be made that a book properly conserved is worth more than one that isn't. Should we have let the Constitution continually erode... or should it have been cleaned, deacidified, and placed in a neutral gas chamber to protect it?

Frankly... simply placing a book in a CGC container, or a mylar for that matter, is a form of conservation. To be properly "untouched", no book should ever be spared from the ravages of time, handling, and soiling.

I didn't realize that cover cleaning was conservation. I thought most methods other than dry erasing involved chemicals that could damage the paper and ink. I'd be interested in knowing how the cover was cleaned.

The book was likely given a chemical bath to make it "look" better. Clearly it worked, but it is certainly restoration, whether the "label" says it or not. Cleaning the cover does not actually or necessarily "conserve" anything, but it has indeed "restored" it to a more pristine state. Comic books are not one of a kind paintings on canvas by great masters. They are mass produced, disposable items, regardless of how old they are. They are more like antiques and will always be far more desirable and pricey the closer they are naturally to their original state as possible. This is not a knock against this book, but it has been restored, and while CGC has clearly tried to do it a favor by dropping it into this holder with this kind of label, it is still a restored book nonetheless, and the price will reflect that, as many potential suitors will choose to temper their bidding or remain on the sideline altogether.

-J.

Many PLODS have been touched by markers to a far lesser degree than books in blue labels. Yet they are worth less because the valuations are out of balance.

Just as many blue labels have been touched so that chunks of the book fell off. Yet they are valued more than PLODS which have that same piece intact, yet with a tiny dot of glue on it.

Just as many blue labels have been touched by foreign substances worse than glue, yet are valued more than PLODS with tiny bits of removable glue or archive tape.

Which isn't to say some people don't (or shouldn't) actually prefer the greater damaged books because of the way they were damaged or the perceived thought process behind it. Some do and they can. But their influence on price has gone beyond an accurate reflection of how many people feel the same way.

Frankly... simply placing a book in a CGC container, or a mylar for that matter, is a form of conservation. To be properly "untouched", no book should ever be spared from the ravages of time, handling, and soiling.

I think you're confusing preservation with restoration/"conservation" a bit here. :baiting:

-J.