• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #2 CGC 9.4

383 posts in this topic

It's great book. I was just wondering whether it had more ct than they are willing to put in a blue label. (It looks like there may be a fair amount in the red area.)

In other words, would one of the books with "minor" or "very minor" amounts of ct (rather than a "small amount" of ct) that is currently in a blue label still go in a blue label if it were graded today. My guess is that it might.

I am quite sure that it all depends on how the CT affects the grade, meaning it's relative to the grade of the book the CT is on.

I guess that is what we are still wondering. Jimbo thought this book might be an indication that CGC has moved away from putting slight ct or glue books in blue labels even for high-grade GA.

Your position, as I understand it, is that for GA books, CGC puts a book in a blue label provided the ct or the glue do not appear to have raised the grade.

The points I wonder about are:

1) Is this your inference from observing books? In other words, has CGC ever publicly stated that this is their policy?

2) Those dealers or collectors who did the ct or glue must have thought they were raising the grades (pre-CGC, the grades, of course, would have been the old letter grades) or they wouldn't have done it. So your position seems to be that these are failed attempts to raise the grades of the books. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Let's take a GA book that would have been given, say, a grade of 9.4 if it had had no resto. The resto fails to raise the grade to 9.6, so the book qualifies for a blue label under your rule. Does it then receive a grade of 9.4 or is it knocked down to, say, 9.2 because it has the resto that other 9.4 books lack?

3) If CGC's position really were that books with ct and glue are ok and the book will receive a blue label (and have it's grade lowered?) provided the result of the resto isn't to raise the grade, then the policy seems rather innocuous and it's hard to understand why they wouldn't have applied it across the board, rather than just to GA books.

Of course, we wouldn't have to guess about these things if CGC were more transparent in its grading rules.

It's great book. I was just wondering whether it had more ct than they are willing to put in a blue label. (It looks like there may be a fair amount in the red area.)

In other words, would one of the books with "minor" or "very minor" amounts of ct (rather than a "small amount" of ct) that is currently in a blue label still go in a blue label if it were graded today. My guess is that it might.

I am quite sure that it all depends on how the CT affects the grade, meaning it's relative to the grade of the book the CT is on.

I guess that is what we are still wondering. Jimbo thought this book might be an indication that CGC has moved away from putting slight ct or glue books in blue labels even for high-grade GA.

Your position, as I understand it, is that for GA books, CGC puts a book in a blue label provided the ct or the glue do not appear to have raised the grade.

The points I wonder about are:

1) Is this your inference from observing books? In other words, has CGC ever publicly stated that this is their policy?

2) Those dealers or collectors who did the ct or glue must have thought they were raising the grades (pre-CGC, the grades, of course, would have been the old letter grades) or they wouldn't have done it. So your position seems to be that these are failed attempts to raise the grades of the books. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Let's take a GA book that would have been given, say, a grade of 9.4 if it had had no resto. The resto fails to raise the grade to 9.6, so the book qualifies for a blue label under your rule. Does it then receive a grade of 9.4 or is it knocked down to, say, 9.2 because it has the resto that other 9.4 books lack?

3) If CGC's position really were that books with ct and glue are ok and the book will receive a blue label (and have it's grade lowered?) provided the result of the resto isn't to raise the grade, then the policy seems rather innocuous and it's hard to understand why they wouldn't have applied it across the board, rather than just to GA books.

Of course, we wouldn't have to guess about these things if CGC were more transparent in its grading rules.

My position comes from conversations I've had with graders combined with my personal experiences.

If there is a perceived difference in standards its possible that it's just CGC's inconsistency rather than a different standard.

I'm not sure if CGC has ever made a public statement on the topic.

Re: 2) I believe that if the resto does not increae the grade, the book is graded as it sits, the additional material (glue or CT) is treated as a defect, and the book is graded accordingly and put into a blue label.

Re: 3) GA books have always been treated differently than newer books. Even Overstreet changes grading and resto standards based on era. Older books have more liberal rules than newer books.

It is possible for the resto to increase the grade of a book at some point in the past but then have that book deteriorate over time to the point where the resto no longer improves the grade.

At that point the 'resto' is no longer restoring a book to a previous condition. IMO, this is a very real scenario and one reason why all 'resto' is not the same.