• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #2 CGC 9.4

383 posts in this topic

By some of the comments I have read here the reasoning seems to be that if you left a car in the garage for seventy years and decided to open up the garage to dust off the car, the car was devalued because it was cleaned. Some of you would rather keep the dust on the car because then the car is in its natural state and not conserved.

There are some ridiculous thoughts in this hobby sometimes.

By some of the comments I have read here the reasoning seems to be that if you left a car in the garage for seventy years and decided to open up the garage to dust off the car, the car was devalued because it was cleaned. Some of you would rather keep the dust on the car because then the car is in its natural state and not conserved.

There are some ridiculous thoughts in this hobby sometimes.

Wow you learn something everyday DONT WASH YOUR CAR (tsk)

Nice way to completely misinterpret and distort what was said. :facepalm:

Nice way to completely misinterpret and distort what was said. :facepalm:

I said for some comments.

Some of you argue that the purple labels intent was to reduce the values of the restored books. But to NOT label them clearly (and color coding is an effective classification tool for sorting and labeling) would not be "protecting" collectors effectively enough. If you recall, CGC in the early days promoted their use as the hobby's police to clean up the streets of Dodge City, fostering a more secure, and safer collecting environment compared to the Wild Wild West it had always been.

If they have erred to some degree, or if their solution and labeling could have been more thorough, etc, sure... All the better.

But the color coded labels did NOT cause the stigma that so many always complain about. We who don't care to buy restored books still ignored all wall books so marked. If you recall, the problem was always that only say half of all restored books (if that many) were ever clearly marked as such. The rest were sold as unrestored to unsuspecting buyers. After the purple label, that doesn't happen any more (unless they get cracked out and sold as is again. Etc etc)

I don't think anyone is saying that the label colors were introduced to cause a reduction in values of restored books.

I also don't think anyone disagrees that it's the resto that causes the reduced interest, but I do personally believe that segregating the books into a separate colored label has increased the distance that many people took from restored books and has caused a greater reaction towards the books than if they had originally been just put into blue labels with clear descriptions of restoration.

The point stands firm that words can convey the same messages that colors do, but will allow people to better understand what that message is rather than just show a color and invoke a Pavlovian response.

And just to show that I'm not trying to be biased, I can even understand why people will disagree on the above point. Everyone is different. Everyone has different personalities. Everyone sees things differently (or wants to see things differently).

It really is a judgement call and in the end it's my personal opinion that the purple label did more to discourage the market than it was originally supposed to do.

Some of you argue that the purple labels intent was to reduce the values of the restored books. But to NOT label them clearly (and color coding is an effective classification tool for sorting and labeling) would not be "protecting" collectors effectively enough. If you recall, CGC in the early days promoted their use as the hobby's police to clean up the streets of Dodge City, fostering a more secure, and safer collecting environment compared to the Wild Wild West it had always been.

If they have erred to some degree, or if their solution and labeling could have been more thorough, etc, sure... All the better.

But the color coded labels did NOT cause the stigma that so many always complain about. We who don't care to buy restored books still ignored all wall books so marked. If you recall, the problem was always that only say half of all restored books (if that many) were ever clearly marked as such. The rest were sold as unrestored to unsuspecting buyers. After the purple label, that doesn't happen any more (unless they get cracked out and sold as is again. Etc etc)

I don't think anyone is saying that the label colors were introduced to cause a reduction in values of restored books.

I also don't think anyone disagrees that it's the resto that causes the reduced interest, but I do personally believe that segregating the books into a separate colored label has increased the distance that many people took from restored books and has caused a greater reaction towards the books than if they had originally been just put into blue labels with clear descriptions of restoration.

The point stands firm that words can convey the same messages that colors do, but will allow people to better understand what that message is rather than just show a color and invoke a Pavlovian response.

And just to show that I'm not trying to be biased, I can even understand why people will disagree on the above point. Everyone is different. Everyone has different personalities. Everyone sees things differently (or wants to see things differently).

It really is a judgement call and in the end it's my personal opinion that the purple label did more to discourage the market than it was originally supposed to do.

CGCs intent IMO was to visually distinguish restored label from non-restored. As such, color is a more immediate and effective solution. I think their color coded labels system was an elegant solution! And I feel it's too bad the market may have reacted negatively to it. Just using the word "restored" subtlely on the blue label would not have been enough back then when CGC hired themselves as Sheriff. It wouldn't have protected the buyer strongly enough.

Maybe it was an overreach. Certainly you and other restored collectors feel thats the case.

CGCs intent IMO was to visually distinguish restored label from non-restored. As such, color is a more immediate and effective solution. I think their color coded labels system was an elegant solution! And I feel it's too bad the market may have reacted negatively to it. Just using the word "restored" subtlely on the blue label would not have been enough back then when CGC hired themselves as Sheriff. It wouldn't have protected the buyer strongly enough.

Maybe it was an overreach. Certainly you and other restored collectors feel thats the case.

It's slab profiling. Nobody questions blue, but a sizable number of collectors have decided that purple can't be trusted without even looking beyond the label. In the eyes of many an entire class of comics is judged as undesirable and devalued based on a prior generation's view that restoration is deceptive, therefor evil.

CGC meant no harm in identifying by color and labeling. In fact, the idea was to make this class of books easier to self-identify. But the time has come for a universal identity and compassionate acceptance. We should cherish differences and embrace them.

Books have a right to be seen as individuals, to wear their history proudly, without discrimination by color. :sumo:

"colorful" analogy! But the solution to profiling is education! Only when all collectors learn accept "all colors of the rainbow" labels without their pre-conceived stereotyping will the hobby reach its shining city in the sky.

right back atcha!

"colorful" analogy! But the solution to profiling is education! Only when all collectors learn accept "all colors of the rainbow" labels without their pre-conceived stereotyping will the hobby reach its shining city in the sky.

right back atcha!

The solution is education and integration. (thumbs u

Certainly you and other restored collectors feel thats the case.

All collectors have had some work done. I broke my elbow about ten years ago and had to have it set. Also got a couple of new crowns and a dental implant a few years back. The wife tells me I should do something about the wrinkles that I call laugh lines.

right back atcha!

The solution is education and integration. (thumbs u

The solution has never been about "sameness" but acceptance. The difference in label colours is perfectly fine and appropriate, because restored and un-restored books are not "the same". It is up to the individual buyer to decide whether or not to "accept" a restored book. Deciding to pass on a restored book does not amount to "discrimination" however. It is a buying decision. The greatly reduced market value of restored books versus blue label books is a result of a very large block of collectors deciding that restored books are not for them. If one day a significant percentage of those buyers suddenly one day decide that restored books should become a part of their collecting focus, then values of those books will surely rise. And that will happen regardless of the label colour.

-J.