• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #2 CGC 9.4

383 posts in this topic

If it's just the resto bringing down hammer prices, if the label color has nothing to do with it, then all those blue-label Golden Age books with a "very small amount of color touch" should be selling for PLOD-level prices, but they're not. In fact, they repeatedly sell at the same level as truly unrestored copies.

There's only one logical takeaway from that. Label color, not just resto, affects hammer prices.

If it's just the resto bringing down hammer prices, if the label color has nothing to do with it, then all those blue-label Golden Age books with a "very small amount of color touch" should be selling for PLOD-level prices, but they're not. In fact, they repeatedly sell at the same level as truly unrestored copies.

There's only one logical takeaway from that. Label color, not just resto, affects hammer prices.

I do see those GA books with "very slight- XXXXX" restoration on blue labels going for less. There are many collectors who are on the record saying they will only pay PLOD prices for those books. They do go for more than straight purple labels however, but that's just as likely because the market is factoring in that the "very small amount of"-whatever can be removed with minimal or no damage to the book in grade. The greater the restoration the greater the discount regardless of the label, and as stated on those GA "blue labels" those books always have a very small amount.

-J.

and how many times do we overlook notes saying "minor color touch or glue" on a blue label...especially on tough GA...notes like that on purple books will tend to make someone think twice or just crack it out. We associate colors well---stop/go (red/green) or in this case blue (good)/purple (bad). I will say that seasoned GA collectors tend to not let PLODs bother them as much when it comes to Minor work on expensive/difficult books.

I do see those GA books with "very slight- XXXXX" restoration on blue labels going for less. There are many collectors who are on the record saying they will only pay PLOD prices for those books.

-J.

Give me one example of a blue-label "very slight" book going for a PLOD price.

and how many times do we overlook notes saying "minor color touch or glue" on a blue label...especially on tough GA...

All the time.

I do see those GA books with "very slight- XXXXX" restoration on blue labels going for less. There are many collectors who are on the record saying they will only pay PLOD prices for those books.

-J.

I didn't say they would go for a PLOD price. I said they often go for less than a blue label with no such notes, and perhaps something approaching a blue label price due to the fact that the "resto" is in fact "very minor". And again, even PLOD'S reach a higher percentage of FMV of blue label the less work was done to those books.

People actually read the labels they're not just dazzled by colours. Especially in the GA market. I really think collectors swimming in that end of the pool deserve the benefit of the doubt on that. Does the purple label cause many collectors to skip right over and shun a book? Yes of course. But that's only because the book is restored. If you don't like restored books you will automatically ignore purple label slabs. Does that affect the price ? Nope. Those people wouldn't bid on those books anyway.

Seems to me the only real purpose for pairing restored books with blue labels is to confuse buyers and perhaps trick them into clicking on a certain book and "giving it a chance".

This only helps the seller and not the buyer. In this case I would argue that the buyer's interests should take priority and that restored books should be clearly flagged as such as they are now.

-J.

-J.

I didn't say they would go for a PLOD price. I said they often go for less than a blue label with no such notes, and perhaps something approaching a blue label price due to the fact that the "resto" is in fact "very minor". And again, even PLOD'S reach a higher percentage of FMV of blue label the less work was done to those books.

-J.

But the fact of the matter is, the "very minor amount" books are slightly restored books. CGC doesn't assign them a PLOD because of an agreement made with long-time dealers prior to CGC opening its doors. But they ARE slightly restored. And yet, they sell for 90-100% of unrestored market value. Are you suggesting that a PLOD that read "very minor amount.." would still sell for 90-100% of unrestored blue-label value? Really?

-J.

-J.

But the fact of the matter is, the "very minor amount" books are slightly restored books. CGC doesn't assign them a PLOD because of an agreement made with long-time dealers prior to CGC opening its doors. But they ARE slightly restored. And yet, they sell for 90-100% of unrestored market value. Are you suggesting that a PLOD that read "very minor amount.." would still sell for 90-100% of unrestored blue-label value? Really?

Yes I agree those books should also have purple labels. I personally wouldn't consider those books for my own collection either regardless of the label colour. I didn't make the rules though. I would probably put the number closer to 80-90% though and I think as time goes by the separation in pricing will increase as the market sees them for what they really are (I actually see the seeds of it happening already). Obviously the rarer and bigger the book the less it will matter , but the same could be said for all potential defects in a book.

I would imagine that's why CGC has made their restoration notes and classification more detailed so that the market can judge these restored books on more of a sliding scale. I believe that to be a fair compromise. The more information the better when it comes to restoration.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Yes I agree those books should also have purple labels. I personally wouldn't consider those books for my own collection either regardless of the label colour. I didn't make the rules though. I would probably put the number closer to 80-90% though and I think as time goes by the separation in pricing will increase as the market sees them for what they really are (I actually see the seeds of it happening already). Obviously the rarer and bigger the book the less it will matter , but the same could be said for all potential defects in a book.

I would imagine that's why CGC has made their restoration notes and classification more detailed so that the market can judge these restored books on more of a sliding scale. I believe that to be a fair compromise. The more information the better when it comes to restoration.

-J.

Regardless of the percentage, 80-90% or 90-100%, are you claiming that the hammer price on the "very minor amount..." books would be the same regardless of the label color? Because that's the crux of your argument, and it falls apart with this example. A PLOD with that notation would sell for at least 50% less than a blue label with the same notation.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Regardless of the percentage, 80-90% or 90-100%, are you claiming that the hammer price on the "very minor amount..." books would be the same regardless of the label color? Because that's the crux of your argument, and it falls apart with this example. A PLOD with that notation would sell for at least 50% less than a blue label with the same notation.

I'm not sure about that. They may apply in SA (where the label would be purple regardless) but not necessarily in the GA. You'll find AF 15's with light resto in PLODS going for as much as 80% blue label price sometimes. Again, I think people are "reading" these labels not just looking at the colour, and the colour is not affecting the price, the amount of resto and type is. Another example is the Cap 1 0.5 PLOD that recently sold for more than any blue label 0.5 has ever sold for. The label colour obviously did not deter boisterous bidding on that one. The reality is that the only thing the oriole label really does is alert prospective buyers to the presence of restoration. The books are therefore graded on a completely different kind of scale and criteria. That's why they do not get "universal grades". They get "restored grades" based on the type and amount of restoration done. If anything that is "more" fair to the restored books in my opinion because they are in fact being judged on the quality and quantity of the work done. The market then determines the "value" of said work.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

I'm not sure about that. They may apply in SA (where the label would be purple regardless) but not necessarily in the GA. You'll find AF 15's with light resto in PLODS going for as much as 80% blue label price sometimes.

-J.

That's simply not true. Looking at a recent example, an AF15 CGC 7.0 sold last August for $41,000. A 7.0 SP sold just this month for $8800. That's 21.5% of the blue label price, a far cry from the 80% you mentioned above.

-J.

-J.

-J.

I'm not sure about that. They may apply in SA (where the label would be purple regardless) but not necessarily in the GA. You'll find AF 15's with light resto in PLODS going for as much as 80% blue label price sometimes.

-J.

That's simply not true. Looking at a recent example, an AF15 CGC 7.0 sold last August for $41,000. A 7.0 SP sold just this month for $8800. That's 21.5% of the blue label price, a far cry from the 80% you mentioned above.

The spread becomes greater in higher grades (as it should). The higher percentages are certainly realized in the lower grades however.

Point being that no one should be "expecting" to get full universal grade value on a restored book, regardless of the colour of the label.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

The spread becomes greater in higher grades (as it should). The higher percentages are certainly realized in the lower grades however.

Point being that no one should be "expecting" to get full universal grade value on a restored book, regardless of the colour of the label.

-J.

No, that's not the point at all. The point is that buyers sellers ARE getting unrestored market value, or very close to it, for the "very minor amount" books, but they're getting a fraction of that for SP PLODS. Both examples are slightly restored, but they have different colored labels, causing a huge difference in prices realized. Therefore, the label color is causing the variation in hammer price.

And again, if you don't agree, then ask yourself if the "very minor amount" books would still achieve the prices that they do if they were PLODs. The answer is clearly no.

That AF 15 7.0 PLOD you mentioned for $8800 was a bogus sale, so let's not use that as an example. 

And yes I believe that restored books have prices realized based on the amount and type of work done regardless of the colour of the label. Is it silly that CGC opted to exempt some GA books with very slight resto from PLOD's? Yes it is. Those books are restored. But given that said restoration is always very minor I would expect them to realize a higher percentage regular blue label FMV versus another GA book that had so much more extensive work done that it had to be put into a PLOD. And yes I would therefore expect that book to sell at a greater discount as a result. I'm not sure where the disagreement is because this plays out on a regular basis. 

-J.

That AF 15 7.0 PLOD you mentioned for $8800 was a bogus sale, so let's not use that as an example. 

And yes I believe that restored books have prices realized based on the amount and type of work done regardless of the colour of the label. Is it silly that CGC opted to exempt some GA books with very slight resto from PLOD's? Yes it is. Those books are restored. But given that said restoration is always very minor I would expect them to realize a higher percentage regular blue label FMV versus another GA book that had so much more extensive work done that it had to be put into a PLOD. And yes I would therefore expect that book to sell at a greater discount as a result. I'm not sure where the disagreement is because this plays out on a regular basis. 

-J.

So just to be clear, you believe that the "very minor amount" books would achieve the same hammer prices if they had PLOD labels rather than blue?

-J.

At times, blue labels go for less than Guide too, but a purple or green label almost guarantees a 50% to 75% drop over the same grade in blue regardless of the type or application of the restoration. As I see it, the Conserved label Action #2 should be an excellent test case for how well the new label will be received by the market.

People actually read the labels they're not just dazzled by colours. Especially in the GA market. I really think collectors swimming in that end of the pool deserve the benefit of the doubt on that. Does the purple label cause many collectors to skip right over and shun a book? Yes of course. But that's only because the book is restored. If you don't like restored books you will automatically ignore purple label slabs. Does that affect the price ? Nope. Those people wouldn't bid on those books anyway.

Reading involves no risk, buying does. 3rd party grading and encapsulation solved the disclosure problem insuring long term market stability and growth, but don't be mislead into thinking that label color isn't a key motivator in the high end comic market.

One potential threat to continued stability (besides the SA-Modern bubble) is the perception that any disclosed manipulation that results in a purple or green label ...regardless of type or degree... limits desirability, seriously impacting resale value. Fortunately, the Conserved label addresses this by expanding the grading system with revised labeling.

Seems to me the only real purpose for pairing restored books with blue labels is to confuse buyers and perhaps trick them into clicking on a certain book and "giving it a chance".

Wow, that's about the best darned "baloney" sandwich I've ever been served. On the one hand, GA collectors "read the labels they're not just dazzled by colors", then in the very next paragraph "restored books with blue labels" would "confuse buyers and perhaps trick them into clicking on a certain book...".

Which is it, do GA collectors actually read the labels or are they easily confused by the color? (shrug)

This only helps the seller and not the buyer. In this case I would argue that the buyer's interests should take priority and that restored books should be clearly flagged as such as they are now.

-J.

Expanding the grading system with more nuanced labels works for everybody. I applaud CGC's decision to introduce a Conserved label. IMO, the new label brings restoration & grading guidelines more in sync with other valued paper ephemera that share interest in the marketplace. As I've said before, it demonstrates a maturation of our hobby. (thumbs u

The reason those slight amount of ct or glue books ended up in bluevlabels and not purple is because the 'resto' on those books does not increase the grade, so it's not really 'restored' in that sense. The ct and glue is incidental and is factored in as a defect when the book is graded.

In my opinion it would be unfortunate to put a book like that in a purple holder. If you did, the books would be done a disservice.

In this case the label color makes all the difference.

I do see those GA books with "very slight- XXXXX" restoration on blue labels going for less. There are many collectors who are on the record saying they will only pay PLOD prices for those books. They do go for more than straight purple labels however, but that's just as likely because the market is factoring in that the "very small amount of"-whatever can be removed with minimal or no damage to the book in grade. The greater the restoration the greater the discount regardless of the label, and as stated on those GA "blue labels" those books always have a very small amount.

-J.

I don't believe this is true. Apart from you, I've never heard anyone make such a statement.