• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bank vault safety deposit boxes?

53 posts in this topic

I've seen comics have staples badly rusted in some fireproof safes and the paper actually begin to mold

Really, ...I'd like to know the evidence you've seen. hm

It would be helpful if you indicated which brand(s) of fireproof safe should be avoided.

Sentry brand is one. That's the one that ruined a few of my comics (the paper was "wet" and moldy and the staples rusted after only a year

do you think that living in one of the most humid climates in the country, as you do, might also be a contributing factor?

I've seen comics have staples badly rusted in some fireproof safes and the paper actually begin to mold

It would be helpful if you indicated which brand(s) of fireproof safe should be avoided.

Sentry brand is one. That's the one that ruined a few of my comics (the paper was "wet" and moldy and the staples rusted after only a year

do you think that living in one of the most humid climates in the country, as you do, might also be a contributing factor?

If stored outside, Absolutely. That said the safe is in a climate controlled environment ...so no bearing on results ...as I've changed to a climate controlled safe and have had no issues since

OK, now I understand. I used one of those turkeys for a year or so back in the late 70's. Even kept my Mile High Silver Steak #7 in it briefly. :ohnoez:

You're right, the interior sweated and desiccants didn't help. I started worrying about the humidity, removed all my books and got rid of the safe.

What I'd recommend today is a data-grade Phoenix fireproof safe. It doesn't sweat internally. Installation requires some sweat, but the design is bulletproof. (thumbs u

http://www.keystoneoffice.com/safes/phoenix-media-safe-4623.html

Not cheap by any means, but well worth the investment, IMO.

9A0E4B48-EC88-454C-81B4-0E9B372A2229-42038-000030859BEEBAFF_zps6c9899c4.jpg

You've seen some of my raw & slabbed books up close at the RHG get-together. Did they look moldy or rusted to you?

Your comics must be kept in a cool, dark and dry environment. Most banks safe deposit box areas are not cool or dry at night or when the vault is closed.

Here's what to ask the bank manager tomorrow. Do you turn off the air conditioning at night in the safe deposit box area? Do you have a de-humidifier in the safe deposit box area? What is the humidity and temperature in the vault area at night?

He will most likely not know the temp and humidity. He/she may not even know the answers to the first two questions.

In the northwest suburbs of Chicago, no vaults in the banks I called are temperature and humidity controlled.

Thankfully the bank where mine are stored must be cool/dry enough since I've not experienced anything negative so far. :wishluck: I have both raw and slabbed books in my box.

I have had my Tec 1-3-5-10-12 27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35 Two Bat 1s Sup 1-2-3 14 Action 1-2-7-10-11-12-13-15- for over 20 years in 2 diff boxes NOT climate controlled .

OH 3 cap 1s Torch 1 Sub 1 more than i can say 3 Superman 1s

I can't seem to process this. My brain must be mis-firing.

Yeah, It's so dry here in AZ that I take a putty knife and spread a little mold and mildew on my books once in awhile for good measure...I also like to mist them with a spray bottle, they seem to enjoy that... :insane:

What the heck are they produce!

I did not want to start a war I appreciate Gators input but my guess there are many people here that have questions regarding my topic.

No war, not even a skirmish. :gossip:

Gator's a friend and I hold his opinion in high regard. He's just misinformed on the subject of fireproof safes based on a terrible experience with an inferior product. The information you requested has been provided, but I'd recommend doing more research to determine which solution works best for your particular needs. What you choose to do is entirely up to you.

(thumbs u

Ah, finally...a person with a sense of humor...

You must've missed Primetime's passport comment to ciorac. :baiting:

That was a coffee spewer. lol

Yeah, It's so dry here in AZ that I take a putty knife and spread a little mold and mildew on my books once in awhile for good measure...I also like to mist them with a spray bottle, they seem to enjoy that... :insane:

What the heck are they produce!

Brian is still hoping his suppliers will drop prices or give away free samples on aisle 10. :grin:

I've kept my valuables in a Stack On Elite safe for years with no problems. Even my ultra nice slabbed AF15 and gold watches (on watch winders) are in there. I check the books frequently for staple rust, cover toning, etc. No problems. Many safes are safe. I keep a cheap humidifier (with moisture packs) in mine to minimize moisture.

(thumbs u

I agree that most bank safety deposit boxes are safe. I have had my high end books in safety deposit boxes from two different banks and would periodically check on them to see if they were in the same condition I placed them in. Still looking the same for me with no evidence of staple or paper degradation. I've been storing my keys for the past 10 years or so now.

I agree that most bank safety deposit boxes are safe. I have had my high end books in safety deposit boxes from two different banks and would periodically check on them to see if they were in the same condition I placed them in. Still looking the same for me with no evidence of staple or paper degradation. I've been storing my keys for the past 10 years or so now.

:wishluck::takeit:

Ditto.

Concerning the issue with safes causting rusty staples - read this.

1174902-Hulk182TopStaple.jpg

What conditions are like in the bank vault after hours with the temperature controls off (as they are usually, but not always, are) would depend, I would think, on the outside temperature/humidity. It would be interesting to know from someone who may have worked in a bank in, say, Florida what the vault is like when opened up first thing Monday morning.

One significant advantage to the safety deposit box versus the home safe is that, alas, most home safes can be quickly opened by a knowledgeable thief. Of course, the random druggie looking for a quick grab and go would probably pass it by.

Ditto.

Concerning the issue with safes causting rusty staples - read this.

1174902-Hulk182TopStaple.jpg

Well in short, I would not trust putting comics in a fireproof safe. It is different from storing books in a safety deposit box. Just to make that clear.