• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ExNihilo said:
  Hide contents

There are 7 million scenarios in which he gives up the stone.  In 3.5 million of those scenarios, Tony lives.  In only one of those 3.5 million, do they win.  All I'm saying is that in order to achieve that 1 scenario for victory, he has to give up the stone first.  The action of natural selection occurs after Strange willingly gives up the stone.  There is no connection between giving the stone up and guaranteeing Stark lives.  Strange just knows that giving up the stone yields a 0.000000000000001% chance of victory while all other actions would yield a 0% chance.

I think we're on the same page, we're just going about different ways of saying it maybe.

Spoiler

Yeah, I agree it's two different things, both playing apart in Thanos' downfall. Strange doing what he did, and Thanos choosing natural selection instead of specific selection.

Thanos, 

Spoiler

the ultimate environmentalist wacko, green peace activist, global warming huckster.  Was going to put PETA but not sure if the animals were protected from termination. (shrug)

8 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:
  Hide contents

A point on the randomness of Thanos' Universe destruction:

Thanos is using natural selection to eliminate half the Universe. From a story teller perspective, this makes sense, because that specific decision, ends up playing a part in his demise. Remember the one in 14 million chance to survive? Natural selection MISSES Tony Stark, and as Doctor Strange has foreseen, HE is the key to victory (which is why he gave up the stone for Stark's life).

If Thanos was CHOOSING who he eliminated, he'd do the smart thing and kill off the smartest and most powerful of his enemies. 

His ego for having the perfect plan (Like nature, 'natural selection'), is part of what will come back to haunt him.

I suspect.

Spoiler

Not to mention, as I stated in an earlier post, it would literally be impossible for Thanos to travel the entire univere to check on each planet to see what the situation was in regards to population and resource depletion. He wouldn't even be able to cover 1% of the universe given how massive it is. So it makes perfect sense that he would just decide to wipe out 50% of the entire population of the universe. 50:50 is a perfectly balanced ratio and as its told many times, this is all about balancing the universe. What Thanos is doing makes perfect sense given what he is trying to accomplish. Just don't understand how people can find fault in this part of the movie at all. It makes 100% perfect sense. 

8 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Fidelity to the source material should never go out of style. 

Personally, I want Marvel to do its own thing with the films. Where is the fun in watching a film when you know exactly what is going to happen. I have absolutely NO desire for Marvel to feel like they have to follow the comics to the letter. And thus far in this regard, they have yet to disappoint me. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

Disney Reveals Financial Muscle Of 'Avengers: Infinity War'

Marvel-table-1200x669.jpg

Production for seven of the movies based on Marvel Comics superhero characters has taken place in Britain, and as the table below shows, the cost so far of Infinity War is surpassed only by the $495.2 million (£306.1 million) spent on its prequel, 2015 blockbuster Avengers: Age of Ultron. There is good reason Disney has thrown its weight behind it.

Infinity War is the latest in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film series, which began in 2008 with the release of Iron Man, starring Robert Downey Jr. as the eponymous armored hero. It was a critical success and grossed $585.2 million, according to Box Office Mojo. The year after it premiered, Disney bought Marvel for $4 billion, and it has gone on to make 17 more movies in the series.

Infinity War is the culmination of all of them and could be the most lucrative. It is said to have a shot of surpassing the record $248 million earned in North America by fellow Disney pic Star Wars: The Force Awakens over its opening weekend. Its cast list reads like a roll call for an awards ceremony.

CFUkaEw.jpg

Incredible! A superhero movie setting a high bar once again.

:whee:

Edited by Bosco685

43 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Serious question:  Is this the pinnacle?  Can Marvel stay so strong after part 4 next year?  I feel the audience might need a real break after these movies...

may be the pinnacle, but we can surely live with some lesser peaks around it for the next several years, I hope.

7 hours ago, fett said:
  Hide contents

if he was looking into the future and saw Thanos defeated because of Stark, I would think he would rightly conclude that Stark had survived the purge. Plus they made the point several times throughout the movie about how one life matters etc., and that this was Starks fight the last several years.

Spoiler

He saw multiple future outcomes.  He has no idea which is the one that will play out.  He only knows what HE needs to do to best ensure that outcome.  Beyond that, all other actions/decisions are outside his control.

Edited by ExNihilo

2 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:
  Hide contents

Not to mention, as I stated in an earlier post, it would literally be impossible for Thanos to travel the entire univere to check on each planet to see what the situation was in regards to population and resource depletion. He wouldn't even be able to cover 1% of the universe given how massive it is. So it makes perfect sense that he would just decide to wipe out 50% of the entire population of the universe. 50:50 is a perfectly balanced ratio and as its told many times, this is all about balancing the universe. What Thanos is doing makes perfect sense given what he is trying to accomplish. Just don't understand how people can find fault in this part of the movie at all. It makes 100% perfect sense. 

Spoiler

Why is it impossible for Thanos to check on every planet?  The wielder of the Gauntlet/Gems is omnipotent/omnipresent/all knowing.  He is God having the power of all knowledge over all time.

That being said, the 50/50 approach is much more elegant and fair.  The idea of balance just feels so much more poetic.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Disney Reveals Financial Muscle Of 'Avengers: Infinity War'

Marvel-table-1200x669.jpg

CFUkaEw.jpg

Incredible! A superhero movie setting a high bar once again.

:whee:

And Disney bought Marvel for just 4 Billion, lol. That will go down as one of the biggest deals in corporate buyout history. They got over 5000 Marvel characters (now up to 8000) and have already made over 13 billion just at the box office alone. That doesn't include merchandising rights, which is a BIG one when it comes to both DC and Marvel. They make a decent amount of money off of merchandising. Not to mention Blu-Ray/DVD sales. Again, easily one of the best deals in regards to buyouts in the entire history of corporate America. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

1 minute ago, OrangeCrush said:

4 Billion, lol. That will go down as one of the biggest deals in corporate buyout history. They got over 5000 Marvel characters (now up to 8000) and have already made over 13 billion just at the box office alone. That doesn't include merchandising rights, which is a BIG one when it comes to both DC and Marvel. They make a decent amount of money off of merchandising. Not to mention Blu-Ray/DVD sales. Again, easily one of the best deals in regards to buyouts in the entire history of corporate America. 

You are not kidding!

Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney can keep printing money for years through movies, TV shows and merchandising. Not even considering comic books from all these characters.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You are not kidding!

Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney can keep printing money for years through movies, TV shows and merchandising. Not even considering comic books from all these characters.

Plus they have PIxar and animated films always do very well at the box office. Disney should just take over from the Federal Reserve for printing money as they really are just one big printing press for money now. Makes me VERY thankful I purchased Disney stock many years back

So...Infinity War's made more in its opening weekend than Justice League did in its entire domestic run?

Also, James Cameron needs to stop with the superhero hate.

First, he hates on Wonder Woman purely because she was not unattractive...

Now he's hating on the Avengers films because this one (and next year's) are likely to surpass his Avatar sequels at the box office.

Cameron was one of the best directors of his generation and had an absolutely unimpeachable record through Titanic.

And then he just stopped -- opted to make literally just one more movie in the next 21 years.

Say what you want about Spielberg's output over the last two+ decades (since his high water-mark of 1993 w/ Schindler's List & Jurassic Park) -- at least he's kept at it, experimented & continued making movies without the burden of every single one _having_ to break box office records.

I hope the next Avatar film crashes and burns just so Cameron can take a step back and realize it's okay to make non-animated films again. To see the genius behind such films as Rambo, Aliens, True Lies,  & Titanic whining about superhero fatigue when it's clearly just box office jealously is one thing -- but the greater sin is his depriving us of all manner of solid sci fi films, thrillers, etc. over the last two decades while he (supposedly) concentrates exclusively on his Avatar universe.

10 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
  Hide contents

Why is it impossible for Thanos to check on every planet?  The wielder of the Gauntlet/Gems is omnipotent/omnipresent/all knowing.  He is God having the power of all knowledge over all time.

That being said, the 50/50 approach is much more elegant and fair.  The idea of balance just feels so much more poetic.

Spoiler

Your kidding right? Do you have any idea how many planets there are in the universe? Sure, they only show a couple in the films populated by people, but one has to expect that there are millions, if not billions more. The concept of Thanos taking a trip through the entire universe checking on each individual planet is nothing short of absurd, no offense intended. 

4 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Plus they have PIxar and animated films always do very well at the box office. Disney should just take over from the Federal Reserve for printing money as they really are just one big printing press for money now. Makes me VERY thankful I purchased Disney stock many years back

I wonder how many other entertainment providers can claim the same series of massive acquisitions. Though there is concern with one massive provider like this that may hold back on certain productions like a Deadpool or Logan.