• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

Enjoyed the movie last night.  There was a girl that was crying at the end who seems to think the Marvel universe is real.  Movie spoilers below...

Spoiler

In Groot language

I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. 

That should be everything

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Looks like someone is planning future scenes.

That scene depicts Dr Strange approaching Eternity, from Strange Tales #138, the 1st Appearance of Eternity!:whee:

1966-strange-tales-138.nocrop.w426.h2147483647.2x.jpg

Edited by Dick O.

24 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

From what I have read, Kevin Fiege has stated that Disney is not exerting any creative control at all over Marvel Studios. They simply purchased them, just like Pixar, and are letting the people that have been so wildly successful with both studios remain in creative control. So the Disney reference that people keep bringing up really is misguided. 

Couldn't agree more. It gave the character more depth and made him out to be more than just some psycho titan with no remorse over what he is doing. 

Good point,  let me offer a rebuttal:

Spoiler

A point on the randomness of Thanos' Universe destruction:

Thanos is using natural selection to eliminate half the Universe. From a story teller perspective, this makes sense, because that specific decision, ends up playing a part in his demise. Remember the one in 14 million chance to survive? Natural selection MISSES Tony Stark, and as Doctor Strange has foreseen, HE is the key to victory (which is why he gave up the stone for Stark's life).

If Thanos was CHOOSING who he eliminated, he'd do the smart thing and kill off the smartest and most powerful of his enemies. 

His ego for having the perfect plan (Like nature, 'natural selection'), is part of what will come back to haunt him.

I suspect.

31 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

It's not that.

It's just the 'movie wasn't how the comic was!' is sooooo 2002.

Fidelity to the source material should never go out of style. 

41 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:
  Hide contents

Natural selection MISSES Tony Stark, and as Doctor Strange has foreseen, HE is the key to victory (which is why he gave up the stone for Stark's life).

Spoiler

When Strange gives up the Time Stone, he has no idea which multiversal future will emerge.  He only knows that the path to victory requires him to give it up.  There was a 50% that he could have given up the stone and that Tony would have died, thus securing the Avengers defeat.  But as it stands, his roll of the dice has led to the correct path thus far.  Basically I'm saying that giving up the Time Stone wasn't a means of saving Starks life.

Edited by ExNihilo

33 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Reveal hidden contents

When Strange gives up the Time Stone, he has no idea which multiversal future will emerge.  He only knows that the path to victory requires him to give it up.  There was a 50% that he could have given up the stone and that Tony would have died, thus securing the Avengers defeat.  But as it stands, his roll of the dice has led to the correct path thus far.  Basically I'm saying that giving up the Time Stone wasn't a means of saving Starks life.

Spoiler

Strange said there was only one possible scenario where they could win, and early on he said he wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice them to save the stone. He made it a point to emphasize, your lives don't matter, compared to my role in protecting this stone. To me, that says that in the one scenario where he DOES give up the stone, Tony lives, and they have a chance. That's how I took it.

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

Hide contents

that says that in the one scenario where he DOES give up the stone, Tony lives, and they have a chance.

Spoiler

There are 7 million scenarios in which he gives up the stone.  In 3.5 million of those scenarios, Tony lives.  In only one of those 3.5 million, do they win.  All I'm saying is that in order to achieve that 1 scenario for victory, he has to give up the stone first.  The action of natural selection occurs after Strange willingly gives up the stone.  There is no connection between giving the stone up and guaranteeing Stark lives.  Strange just knows that giving up the stone yields a 0.000000000000001% chance of victory while all other actions would yield a 0% chance.

I think we're on the same page, we're just going about different ways of saying it maybe.

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

if he was looking into the future and saw Thanos defeated because of Stark, I would think he would rightly conclude that Stark had survived the purge. Plus they made the point several times throughout the movie about how one life matters etc., and that this was Starks fight the last several years.

Edited by fett
forgot to spoiler-yikes