• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, marvelcollector said:

I actually don't go to see these movies; I see them later.

And to be clear: I don't think they are bad. I think I said in a previous post that they are ok (even good) on their own merits. They've just strayed further and further from the comics, either for political reasons  (Mandarin is a good example), or for some swelled head director to infuse their ideas into the narrative. I just can't get that excited about them. It's not surprising; we comic readers are not the target audience, and the studio doesn't care if they dischant us, as long as they maximize profits.

I'm happy (I guess) that the characters are exposed to a larger audience (I've always said the general public became more aware of the Hulk via the TV series as opposed to the comics), but I would have liked them to see a truer version.

As if that changes anything at all. Your still watching the movies. As for your feelings on the movies, your posts certainly don't come off the way yur describing here at all, at least not to me. Either way, my advice would be to not get so defensive and take things so personally. Again, I wasn't attacking your opinion at all. I was simply making a very common sense suggestion if you really didn't like what Marvel was doing with the MCU. 

21 hours ago, N e r V said:

I’m curious how Avatar 2 is going to play some 11 years after the originals release. I never like to doubt anything James Cameron touches but I remember more than a few people going to the original for the then novel 3D (in 2009) effects and thinking the actual film was so-so.

I like the movie OK but some 9 years later I can’t say it has built any great following on the level of a Star Wars. Still James Cameron always seems to surprise so we’ll see...

Never underestimate James Cameron. Not only is he a master at the medium of directing and storytelling, but he is also pretty much a genius when it comes to technology. The guy has invented and patented quite a few things in his time.

Cameron's inventions/patents

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/james-cameron

I for one am most excited for his Terminator sequel, which will ignore all of the previous films post Terminator 2. 

3 hours ago, bane said:

I really can't be bothered to go through all the points of why I didn't like Ultron.

I'm glad you liked it and hold it in high regard. (thumbsu

My biggest problem with Ultron was they took the humor aspect of the film too far. One of the most impressive aspects of the VAST majority of Marvel films has been thier ability to mix and balance the action scenes, the more serious exposition scenes, humor, and legitimately moving character interactions. Black Widow & Cap in Winter Soldier is a perfect example. Had the interactions between Widow and Cap not ben in Winter Solider, it would not have been nearly as good of a film. IMO, this is really where Marvel puts DC to shame. Unfortunately with Utron, that balance was nowhere near what we have seen with most of the other films. 

I still enjoyed the film, but it would definitely be way down the ladder if I were to rank all of Marvels films. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Kathleen Kennedy might be the most worthless person in Hollywood right now.  I take that photo as a sign they should let Marvel Studios run the Star Wars and not that cuckold Rian Johnson and SJW Kathleen Kennedy.

6 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I saw IW last night. Though I enjoyed the humor and actions scenes,  I was overall a bit disappointed.

I get that's your opinion, but I just can't grasp how anyone who loves Marvel characters can be dissapointed in Infinity War.  How else should they have handled it?

I know I say polarizing things so I stand by the fact I consider people who thought Star Wars: The Last Snowflake was a great movie complete dopes and people who didn't enjoy Infinity War impossible to please.

Looks like its broken another record, and by a pretty big margin. The previous record was Universal’s Furious 7 ($14M on April 6, 2015). Infinity War almost doubled that amount.

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Posts April Monday Record With $25M+

http://deadline.com/2018/05/avengers-infinity-war-monday-box-office-second-best-marvel-1202380127/

Edited by OrangeCrush

Honestly I thought IW was middle of the road, same for Black Panther. I enjoyed them both, but it blows my mind how much each has made. I think if you look at the top 5 MCU grosses, only the bottom of that list (Civil War) in my opinion is in the upper 3rd marvel movies content/execution wise. Great movies like Ragnarok, Winter Soldier, and GOTG are like 8, 10, and 12 on the list money wise.

2 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I get that's your opinion, but I just can't grasp how anyone who loves Marvel characters can be dissapointed in Infinity War.  How else should they have handled it?

I think there's quite a few "purists" out there who complained about the way Thanos was characterized.  They disliked the absence of Death as a motivating factor.  They disagreed with Thanos crying and loving Gamora.  They seem to want the movie to play out the same way as in the comics.  The source material is meant to be used as inspiration and frankly, some of the scenes are clearly derived from moments in the book.  Honestly, the fan service from some of the scenes was truly great to see on screen (Mantis/Drax on Knowhere, Iron Spider, the last scene, etc).

4 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Honestly I thought IW was middle of the road, same for Black Panther. I enjoyed them both, but it blows my mind how much each has made. I think if you look at the top 5 MCU grosses, only the bottom of that list (Civil War) in my opinion is in the upper 3rd marvel movies content/execution wise. Great movies like Ragnarok, Winter Soldier, and GOTG are like 8, 10, and 12 on the list money wise.

I don't get how Ragnarok is a great movie.  It was basically a Guardians of the Galaxy clone tonally and a very poor one at that.  The jokes were forced and not nearly as funny as GotG.  Korg got way too much screen time because its the director (and I legit hope he died in IW).  Bottom 5 Marvel for me.  I literally left the theater thinking "please Marvel, no more Thor movies."

Winter Soldier and GotG are for sure top 5 films (along with Civil War).

28 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I have to agree on Black Panther. I really enjoyed it and thought it was very good film, but it appears to be one of the most popular films in the MCU to date and that just isn't the case for  me. It would probably rank around 7 or 8th if I were to make a favorite MCU film list. 

17 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't get how Ragnarok is a great movie.  It was basically a Guardians of the Galaxy clone tonally and a very poor one at that.  The jokes were forced and not nearly as funny as GotG.  Korg got way too much screen time because its the director (and I legit hope he died in IW).  Bottom 5 Marvel for me.  I literally left the theater thinking "please Marvel, no more Thor movies."

I loved Ragnarok as it was very different from everything we have seen thus far.I thought Cate Blanchet did a great job as Hela and I LOVED Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie. And that scene near the end when Thor starts attacking the soldiers on the bridge to the Led Zeppelin song was one of the best scenes I have seen to date in the MCU. 

Again, as always to each thier own.

Edited by OrangeCrush

2 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Kathleen Kennedy might be the most worthless person in Hollywood right now.  I take that photo as a sign they should let Marvel Studios run the Star Wars and not that cuckold Rian Johnson and SJW Kathleen Kennedy.

I know I say polarizing things so I stand by the fact I consider people who thought Star Wars: The Last Snowflake was a great movie complete dopes and people who didn't enjoy Infinity War impossible to please.

Honestly? I feel like I need to watch the film again. There was just so much to take in. Some things I loved, and some things I hated. I think I need a second viewing to establish a solid opinion. Right now, It's a love-hate perspective I have towards the film.

Edited by Darkowl

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
14 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Ragnarok was great because it took the traditional and played with it in a way GoTG cant. GoTG from out of the gate established its brand with Star Lord dancing on his way to the stone, so all 3 times we have seen them its been the same story line/techniques and devices. I LOVE GoTG don't get me wrong, but its an established path.

Ragnarok took the established and turned it on its ear. It gave us an actually humor first story-line and character set. It was going above the genre and taking it apart. It was closer to Deadpool than GoTG. The Master was amazing, the humor was unforced and slightly insane. It gave you unexpected responses to normal comic book situations. From Thor begging Stan after the bravado to not cut his hair, to the shocking him when he goes into epic hero mode. Nothing was sacred, nothing was off limits, and nothing followed the standard formula. Man they started off by just running the warriors 3 through with swords without warning...they closed on absurdity. And between all that humor that perfect timing of music and theme drove the action. Cutting to Immigrant song also in fights just were perfect. The entire 70's comic vibe of graphics and soundtrack was intentionally and lovingly created by people who truly understood the era's aesthetics and "The Kirby Look".

Anyway, I liked it a lot for multiple reasons.

Additionally, the Kirby-esque guards of The Master were just breathtaking and geeky perfect.

6 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I loved Ragnarok as it was very different from everything we have seen thus far.I thought Cate Blanchet did a great job as Hela and I LOVED Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie. And that scene near the end when Thor starts attacking the soldiers on the bridge to the Led Zeppelin song was one of the best scenes I have seen to date in the MCU. 

Again, as always to each thier own. 

Yeah, I fully realize i'm in the minority when it comes to holding Ragnarok in such low regard.  When it came out, critics and fans were singing its praises alike.  Hela felt very one dimensional (which surprised me considering the talent that is Cate Blanchet), and Valkyrie did nothing for me until the end when her tragic backstory was revealed.  But by then, most of the movie had passed and I just didn't care enough at that point.  I also didn't like the treatment of Loki.  He went from a chaotic mischievous God to a goofy mischievous one.  I always enjoyed the original premise of the first Thor movie: Marvel meets Lord of the Rings.  And while I get that that didn't work for moviegoers, I don't think copying another successful Marvel franchise was the answer either.

Spoiler

Speaking of Valkyrie, do we know what happened to her? Wasn't she on the ship that Thanos attacked at the beginning of Infinity War? They never showed what happened to her. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

Does IW suffer from the buffet problem? 

(I havent seen it yet so Im asking) 

Based on what some of you are saying it's the old issue of trying to cater to too many tastes, leads to middling results for all. 

Or by trying to give some attention to too many characters leads to no meaningful development for any. 

Too many plot points moving slightly forward, makes it feel like the overall plot barely moved... 

and so on. 

Is that the vibe?

35 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Does IW suffer from the buffet problem? 

(I havent seen it yet so Im asking) 

Based on what some of you are saying it's the old issue of trying to cater to too many tastes, leads to middling results for all. 

Or by trying to give some attention to too many characters leads to no meaningful development for any. 

Too many plot points moving slightly forward, makes it feel like the overall plot barely moved... 

and so on. 

Is that the vibe?

I would say about four big characters get a lot of screen time and good development.  Most of the others get their moment, but that is about it.  For the most part even some big ones get surprisingly little screen time.  Then there is Thanos, he is the central  character of the film, gets the most screen time, and by far the most to do.  How they seemed to solve the so and so character may get short changed problem, is relegating most characters to smaller rolls and letting him take center stage.  In my opinion this avoided the buffet problem and worked, because I already know a lot about the other characters from the previous 18 films. The character you know the least about, Thanos, is given time so you can get to know and understand him. If it were not for the other films, they way it was done would not have worked.

Edited by drotto

I'm going to see it tonight for the 1st time.  Can't wait to see what all the hype is about.  Pip the troll!