• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color-touched ASM 50 for sale on eBay...dishonest seller alert!

44 posts in this topic

He responded to me with this:

I appreciate the consideration but I purchased this unrestored and had a gentleman at a comic book store today tell me he does not believe it is restored. I have sent the potential buyers additional pictures of the inside cover as they said that is typically an easy way to identify it and they have not replied so I will let them make the determination.

Thank you

I wonder if the guy at the comic store was blind, or maybe that's the guy who sold it to him as unrestored lol

I appreciate the consideration but I purchased this unrestored and had a gentleman at a comic book store today tell me he does not believe it is restored. I have sent the potential buyers additional pictures of the inside cover as they said that is typically an easy way to identify it and they have not replied so I will let them make the determination.

Thank you

I wonder if the guy at the comic store was blind, or maybe that's the guy who sold it to him as unrestored lol

here is the gentlemen reviewing another document....

mr_magoo-29549.jpg

Just got these responses:

Hi there,

I purchased the book unrestored and will be posting pictures soon of the inner cover as I understand this may be an indicator of restoration. I am also going to visit a local comic store for their opinion as well. I am in no means a professional I just collect for the sake of collecting and wouldn't be selling if it wasn't for a family emergency. Will let you know once the picture is up.

Thank you

and

I have posted a picture of the inside cover for review. Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Marcus

hm

Here's the pic of the inside FC:

$_57.JPG

-slym

Thank you

That was my guess. "[Hmm. He actually has the book in hand, yet is still asking me if it has restoration hm ... :idea: ] 'No sir, no retoration on this book.'"

Thank you

That was my guess. "[Hmm. He actually has the book in hand, yet is still asking me if it has restoration hm ... :idea: ] 'No sir, no restoration on this book.'"

followed by the old standard... "but I'm no expert grader"

Did you check inside the cover for evidence of CT? Run it with a black light? From the images it doesn't seem to CTed

I can see color touch in the pic....look at the 2nd crease on the open edge under the "N" in Spider-Man and also at the lower staple right off the top of it. Red marker in both places.

Did you check inside the cover for evidence of CT? Run it with a black light? From the images it doesn't seem to CTed

You can see it on the cover's right edge underneath the N of the logo, and likely along the black line of the spine as well. (But yeah, very hard to spot from the pic unless you're looking for it.)

Thanks for the heads-up, IF!

Aaah...beat me too it. I will have to look closer at the black line.....

At least he owned up to his mistake. Possible he's not an experienced seller... Fixing the problem and not letting it happen again are the most important things. Thanks for the heads up though.

At least he owned up to his mistake. Possible he's not an experienced seller... Fixing the problem and not letting it happen again are the most important things. Thanks for the heads up though.

He didn't own up to his mistake. He took back the return as required and then re-listed the restored book again without mentioning the color touch.

He didn't own up to his mistake. He took back the return as required and then re-listed the restored book again without mentioning the color touch.

The lack of integrity is a shame.

I am not even sure that being straight forward with the colour touch would cost him a sale -- some potential customers might turn away -- but the book would still sell* and probably for a reasonable price. (shrug)

*There seem to be lots of comic book collectors who collect somewhat indiscriminately and within a wide range of conditions. This is not a bad thing. They just want a copy and are comfortable with the price. The significance of colour touch would simply be outside of their definition of due diligence.

Exactly. Plus I emailed him reminding him of the color touch, and several boardies have also inquired about the color touch to which he simply feigns ignorance and says "let the buyer decide". All he did was add a pic of the inside cover...but against a black background so you can't really see how much bleed-through there is along the edge and bottom corner.

Buying raw, expensive books on eBay is Tricky, especially from people with low feedback. His feedback wasn't that bad, but the "I'm not an expert grader" and sellers indirectly dodging resto questions always raises red flags. I give credit to all those who buy expensive raw on eBay. Here is another example why I stay away.

This guy is horrible. I've gotten burned twice by people who say the exact same thing. "I bought it from a guy who said it was unrestored." I'm glad you got your refund man. People like this (in my experience) are reluctant to give refunds.

Buying raw, expensive books on eBay is Tricky, especially from people with low feedback. His feedback wasn't that bad, but the "I'm not an expert grader" and sellers indirectly dodging resto questions always raises red flags. I give credit to all those who buy expensive raw on eBay. Here is another example why I stay away.

This guy is horrible. I've gotten burned twice by people who say the exact same thing. "I bought it from a guy who said it was unrestored." I'm glad you got your refund man. People like this (in my experience) are reluctant to give refunds.

Good for you. :applause: I have never been burned on eBay,but I haven't bought books on there for many years now.I figure I would rather just deal with my few sellers that I trust here on the boards.That way of thinking has served me well,and I have been very happy with my decision. (thumbs u

If more people were willing to leave negative fb, eBay would be a safer place to buy books.

I hear you, and agree...but since he did promptly refund my money it just didn't seem right to leave a neg. So I chose to go this route, I hoped outing him here knowing he would be bombarded by boardie questions and comments may shame him into disclosing the resto. It may have worked...he has pulled the listing! :wishluck:

My very first post on this site in 2013 was the result of buying this same comic, submitting it, and having it come back with color touch.

The poster took it back, apologized, then reposted it exactly the same way a week later until I notified Ebay.

Such is Ebay.