• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DAREDEVIL #1 CLUB
15 15

940 posts in this topic

Sweet copy. Pence copies should be worth just as much as US versions.

Yup.

Are any foreign printings of comics worth as much as the original American versions? (shrug)

-J.

No, because they're reprints. :shy:

They're not technically reprints but they are foreign and they were released after the original american copies. Most collectors don't want them in their collection regardless of how steep the discount. That will likely always keep them at around 50-60% FMV of the American copies.

-J.

They're absolutely NOT reprints. Much research has gone into this... they were printed at the same time, on the same presses, and some thoeries even suggest before the USA versions!

They are "original editions with UK price variants"

And probably 50-100x rarer than the corresponding cents copies!

It's the same principle as the famous 30 & 35 cent variants... just imagine Britain being one of the states where the variants were distributed :o

However, I can understand the market but it's slowly changing - certainly massively in the last 20 years. :cloud9: <3

As true as all that may be, most collectors simply don't want foreign books mixed in with their original American runs.

They're interesting as a novelty or for those who specifically pursue or want them however. :foryou:

-J.

Sweet copy. Pence copies should be worth just as much as US versions.

Yup.

Are any foreign printings of comics worth as much as the original American versions? (shrug)

-J.

No, because they're reprints. :shy:

They're not technically reprints but they are foreign and they were released after the original american copies. Most collectors don't want them in their collection regardless of how steep the discount. That will likely always keep them at around 50-60% FMV of the American copies.

-J.

They're absolutely NOT reprints. Much research has gone into this... they were printed at the same time, on the same presses, and some thoeries even suggest before the USA versions!

They are "original editions with UK price variants"

And probably 50-100x rarer than the corresponding cents copies!

It's the same principle as the famous 30 & 35 cent variants... just imagine Britain being one of the states where the variants were distributed :o

However, I can understand the market but it's slowly changing - certainly massively in the last 20 years. :cloud9: <3

As true as all that may be, most collectors simply don't want foreign books mixed in with their original American runs.

They're interesting as a novelty or for those who specifically pursue or want them however. :foryou:

-J.

I understand that J :)

But they are NOT "foreign" - they were copies printed on American presses the same time as the cents copies, the only difference is the pence price and that they were intended for a foreign market

They are a 100% genuine and legitimate - and much rarer - price variant

However, all is cool and I love cents copies as well :angel:

They are absolutely not reprints.

They are also absolutely just as cool as US versions and I agree, are no different than a 1939 $0.15 GA Canadian book that otherwise sold for $0.10 in the US or the $0.30/$0.35 price variants of the BA.

And I'm betting that one of the reasons the US market hasn't accepted them as equals is because most people don't realize the above.

And I'm betting that one of the reasons the US market hasn't accepted them as equals is because most people don't realize the above.

Yup

Perhaps, if the big comic book auction houses had some HG slabbed key pence copies and did their research and provided thorough descriptions about their history, low print runs/rarity and than the controversy that surrounds them. Than advertised and marketed the you know what out of them, as the next undervalued and or rare "variant" that has collectors talking, received some decent bidding and a new, way higher GPA or two....I think awareness, knowledge => acceptance will grow.

Yup

Perhaps, if the big comic book auction houses had some HG slabbed key pence copies and did their research and provided thorough descriptions about their history, low print runs/rarity and than the controversy that surrounds them. Than advertised and marketed the you know what out of them, as the next undervalued and or rare "variant" that has collectors talking, received some decent bidding and a new, way higher GPA or two....I think awareness, knowledge => acceptance will grow.

I think people know.

I also think that what has driven pence copies to the level they are at even now has more to do with the regular American cents copies becoming increasingly cost prohibitive and the pence copies being perceived as a more affordable alternative. They aren't "variants" in the 35-cent-price-variant sense. They are foreign versions of American comic books (regardless of where or when then they were actually printed).

And me pointing this out should not be construed as "dissing" the niche market for such copies.

-J.

I think this is the 4th "Daredevil #1 Club!" thread I've posted mine in.. Is search really that hidden?

Nothing like some of the sweet copies already shown, but at least this one's mine..

15585f.jpg

Is search really that hidden?

???

The first post of the Club threads with the list lock after awhile. I have to reboot. I came up with a solution in THIS thread using a Google Sheets doc. Now if it locks, it doesn't matter. I update offsite. (thumbs u

I only wrote "variant" for lack of better words, because what I know from other threads about Pence copies and than this one, they aren't considered "reprints."

Perhaps "version" is a better word?

They are originals with a variant price on them.

No different than a $0.30 / $0.35 price variant or a $0.10 / $0.15 price variant (and these do exist).

I only wrote "variant" for lack of better words, because what I know from other threads about Pence copies and than this one, they aren't considered "reprints."

Perhaps "version" is a better word?

They are originals with a variant price on them.

No different than a $0.30 / $0.35 price variant or a $0.10 / $0.15 price variant (and these do exist).

Yes, they are different. 30-35 cent price variants are still American comics. Pence copies are not.

Pence are also usually missing the month of publication on the cover that is present on the original American copies, since it could never be known for sure exactly when they made it overseas to their foreign market. I've also read that their indicia is different as well.

-J.