• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crow Rebooted from Relativity Studios
7 7

248 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2024 at 7:44 AM, Buzzetta said:

So here is a question for you.

I think it is safe to say that this movie is a failure to the character and the property.   I am not asking this as a studio, but as a fellow movie goer.  How long does it take for the palate to be cleansed for there to be another attempt at adapting this intellectual property?

I would like to say never would be too soon. No studio would touch this for a foreseeable decade at least. Rly think animation might be a new route to go first. 

On 9/10/2024 at 7:44 PM, Buzzetta said:

So here is a question for you.

I think it is safe to say that this movie is a failure to the character and the property.   I am not asking this as a studio, but as a fellow movie goer.  How long does it take for the palate to be cleansed for there to be another attempt at adapting this intellectual property?

Good question.

I wonder if in only a few years and an incredible creative team and casting if this could be ignored and the general audience moves on?

On 9/10/2024 at 6:44 PM, Buzzetta said:

How long does it take for the palate to be cleansed for there to be another attempt at adapting this intellectual property?

I think this will greatly depend on the studio holding the rights. If it was a big enough bust they may not make another and let the agreement end (best case) or they may want to still recoup money and will pump out a direct to streaming Crow movie every 10 years to keep the rights and try to make money (likely).

On 9/12/2024 at 11:50 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I think the farther along we go in society, the more the story has to adapt to modern philosophies, and then it just becomes a watered-down derivative.

Go back to when The Crow comic originally came out: 1989. From that point, it took a few years in independent circles to really gain steam. By 1992/1993 the tale had gained enough popularity to get the movie treatment, which - by 1994 - it was going to be released. However, aside from all that - the Goth style had exploded, and so did the marketability of the "scene".

Hot Topic had opened when The Crow was first published, so hand-in-hand, as the story became popular, Hot Topic began taking advantage of that sector of customers. Throw in the fact that malls still had social aspects that are unheard of today (accessorizing in your Goth attire and showcasing it at the mall) combined with chat rooms (Vamp Cafe, anyone?), bulletin boards and a fledgling internet to bring the Gothic expression to it's zenith of popularity - and Brandon Lee's tragic death made it the cornerstone film for millions of young people. I was right there in the middle of all this. I was drawing Crow pictures, acting darkly broody and reading atrocious hot goth girl poetry with the hopes of getting in their pants. It was a great time to be in your 20s.

Flash-forward to now. The culture has changed. Like heavy metal music, our teen culture has fragmented into a smorgasbord of sub-sub-genres, where there isn't a large group of dedicated consumers to one stylistic type of film - which The Crow can only fit into.

30 years ago, it was the height of 90's gothic romance to fantasize about coming back from the dead to avenge your love in the most violent way possible while wearing makeup and tight leather. That ideal spoke to a larger majority than it does now. There's plenty of hit movies that appeal to the mass audience, but - for me - The Crow's time is done. That audience is gone, and to retool the story for modern mass appeal makes it "not" The Crow anymore.

Expand on some of your thoughts here and submit it to CBR or another mainstream variety site for publication.  This was pretty good.  I am serious. 

On 9/12/2024 at 11:50 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I think the farther along we go in society, the more the story has to adapt to modern philosophies, and then it just becomes a watered-down derivative.

I was thinking along these lines when I posted in the GL thread. 

Social Media has changed how people think and the original, or legacy qualities of the story mean less with each passing year. Eventually, all that matters is how much revenue they can earn from a derivative, as you put it (great word, BTW).

It's like telling you it's food when it just fills you up and somewhat tastes like food.

It's just a cash grab. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/12/2024 at 9:50 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Go back to when The Crow comic originally came out: 1989. From that point, it took a few years in independent circles to really gain steam. By 1992/1993 the tale had gained enough popularity to get the movie treatment, which - by 1994 - it was going to be released. However, aside from all that - the Goth style had exploded, and so did the marketability of the "scene".

Hot Topic had opened when The Crow was first published, so hand-in-hand, as the story became popular, Hot Topic began taking advantage of that sector of customers. Throw in the fact that malls still had social aspects that are unheard of today (accessorizing in your Goth attire and showcasing it at the mall) combined with chat rooms (Vamp Cafe, anyone?), bulletin boards and a fledgling internet to bring the Gothic expression to it's zenith of popularity - and Brandon Lee's tragic death made it the cornerstone film for millions of young people. I was right there in the middle of all this. I was drawing Crow pictures, acting darkly broody and reading atrocious hot goth girl poetry with the hopes of getting in their pants. It was a great time to be in your 20s.

Flash-forward to now. The culture has changed. Like heavy metal music, our teen culture has fragmented into a smorgasbord of sub-sub-genres, where there isn't a large group of dedicated consumers to one stylistic type of film - which The Crow can only fit into.

30 years ago, it was the height of 90's gothic romance to fantasize about coming back from the dead to avenge your love in the most violent way possible while wearing makeup and tight leather. That ideal spoke to a larger majority than it does now. There's plenty of hit movies that appeal to the mass audience, but - for me - The Crow's time is done. That audience is gone, and to retool the story for modern mass appeal makes it "not" The Crow anymore.

while I agree with a lot of what you have said, I also think The Crow could still be made today and appeal to the mass audiences. All they need to do is make a quality film.

If I was to ask you to name a few films that were recently made that you really liked, and then you analyzed what they had in common the answer is most likely great story and characters that are given time to develop so that you care about them.

Dune/ Dune 2 are examples for me.

What is unfortunate about many creators and executive producers of films today is that they can't seem to see that what they are making isn't good ( or perhaps they don't care ).