• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crow Rebooted from Relativity Studios
3 3

159 posts in this topic

The Crow remake hits another snag, production possibly stalled

the-crow-reboot-stalled-fb.jpg

Apparently Relativity Studios, who owned the rights to THE CROW and had been developing the film for years (which at one point even had Bradley Cooper as the star), has recently just sold the rights to the property. According to The Hollywood Reporter:

"Samuel Hadida’s Davis Films, Highland Film Group and Electric Shadow have acquired the rights to finance, produce and distribute The Crow Reborn, a reboot of the cult classic franchise."

No word if Jason Momoa (AQUAMAN) is still attached to play this version of The Crow or not. I honestly wouldn't mind if he doesn't, as I don't think he really fits the character. Personally, I always saw Eric Draven - if he indeed was going to play Draven - being somewhat scrawny so that he needed the supernatural powers of healing and invulnerability to defeat his enemies, while Momoa is so big and muscular that it seems like he could take revenge even without the powers. But that's just me.

The Crow Producer Confirms Reboot Will Be R-Rated

the-crow-211948.jpg

F. Javier Gutierrez, who recently helmed the PG-13 rated Rings, revealed that the upcoming reboot of The Crow won't try and water down the material to make some extra box office cash. The film will be R-rated, just like the original.

Gutierrez confirmed that that they wanted to capture the tone of the first film, and they weren't willing to sacrifice that for extra cash. He said the project is definitely going to be as dark as people are hoping.

"With The Crow, I haven’t talked to them in a while so I don’t know what is going on with that, but we are going to do an R-rated movie. I come from Europe, I’m very dark so I’m going to go for it. If any movie has to be R-rated then it’s The Crow. That’s how I got James O’Barr, the creator of The Crow, involved in the project because he said that if R-rated is the way that I wanted to go, he’s in. Even though I’m not directing it now, when I was going to be doing that I explained to the producers that they had to read and understand the comic book and not make the film a PG-13 version because it would make no sense. Some movies are for young people, I get it and maybe you can do it, but this movie is not necessarily for those young people and toning it down would give you a ghost of what The Crow should be."

The project is rumored to have a budget of $40 million, and is reportedly titled The Crow Reborn. Jason Momoa is said to be in talks to star.

Did the 'Conjuring' Spin-Off Director Just Tease Progress on a 'The Crow' Remake?

cubTFmW.jpg

The director that has most recently been attached to direct a remake, Corin Hardy, posted a photo to his Instagram which could potentially hint at talks beginning once again to move forward on the project.

In the photo with Hardy is producer Ed Pressman, who was also previously attached to The Crow reboot. It's possible that Hardy was celebrating the gathering of people who worked together on bringing the film to life, or, since Hardy is currently working on post-production of The Nun, the meeting could signify an opportunity to discuss ways to resurrect the project once that film is completed.

Throughout the variety of attempts to bring the remake to life, multiple filmmakers and stars have been attached to the project. Bradley Cooper, Jack Huston, and Luke Evans have all been attached to star at one point, although they all eventually abandoned the project. In its most recent iteration, Jason Momoa was attached to star, but with his work on Justice League and Aquaman taking up most of the rest of his year, the project most likely won't move forward with him anytime soon.

'The Crow Reborn' Reportedly Lands at Sony

Fans of The Crow have been talking about a potential reboot of the franchise for a number of years, and it looks like that dream is now one step closer to happening. The next iteration of The Crow comic has apparently been given a home.

According to The Tracking Board, Sony has landed the rights to distribute The Crow Reborn to theaters worldwide. This new version of The Crow is said to be a more faithful adaptation of the original James O'Barr graphic novel.

No release date for the film has been set.

'The Crow' Reboot Starts Production In Early 2018

Recent reports confirm that The Crow reboot will be coming back from the dead, as the series creator, James O'Barr, claims that pre-production is aimed to begin in February of 2018 with director Corin Hardy.

“As of right now, it’s slated to start pre-production in February with a very talented British director named Corin Hardy," O'Barr told ScreenGeek at Los Angeles Comic Con. "I’m involved in every aspect of the film and working closely with the director.”

In its most recent iteration, Jason Momoa was attached to star, but with his work on DC films making for a hectic schedule, it's unclear if Momoa is still attached to the upcoming iteration.

I thought the first film was decent, but it's hard to get excited for a "reboot" when there have already been four sequels.

I don't see anyone clamoring for this any more than folks were clamoring for Mark Walhberg to do Max Payne.

14 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I thought the first film was decent, but it's hard to get excited for a "reboot" when there have already been four sequels.

I don't see anyone clamoring for this any more than folks were clamoring for Mark Walhberg to do Max Payne.

'decent' shows why these movies don't click for you.

Meanwhile, I have to agree this relaunch was not something high on the franchise list. If only they had avoided all the other movies and TV show. It never felt like a tale requiring a follow-up - unless it was going to be something truly amazing.

'The Crow' Director Thinks The Movie Should Not Be Remade

n the more than two decades since its release, The Crow has gained near-mythical status amongst genre fans, not only for its dark take on the comic book adaptation but also due to the star-making performance of star Brandon Lee, who died during a firearm malfunction on set. Justice League's Jason Momoa and The Nun director Corin Hardy are both currently attached to move forward with a reboot of the property, with the original film's director, Alex Proyas, taking to Facebook to claim the film won't be the same without Lee.

The post began with the words "WHY I THINK THE CROW SHOULD NOT BE REMADE" alongside a photo of an infant Brandon with his father Bruce Lee.

"I was privileged to know Brandon Lee - he was a young, immensely gifted actor with a great sense of humour and a bright future ahead of him," Proyas shared. "I was also privileged to have been able to call him a friend. Our working relationship as actor/director went beyond mere collaboration. We crafted a movie together which has touched many people."

Lee had previously starred in a handful of action movies, but The Crow brought out the more emotional depths that he was capable of portraying, ensuring it would have been a breakout role.

"I did not take a 'film by' credit on THE CROW. I wanted it to be Brandon’s movie, because it was, and because he would not be able to make any more movies," Proyas confessed. "He brought all his passion to the movie and it has lasted as his legacy. It is a film I know he would have been proud of."

'The Crow' Reboot To Film In Budapest, Hires Key Production Crew

the-crow-jason-momoa-1065348-640x320.jpg

The upcoming reboot of The Crow starring Jason Momoa is moving forward with plans to film in Budapest, Hungary and with the hiring of several key members of the production crew.

According to Omega Underground, The Crow Reborn is expected to begin filming in Budapest in 2018. Budapest has been a popular filming location with several relatively recent releases shooting in the area, including Atomic Blonde, Blade Runner 2049, and The Martian. Tim Miller’s new Terminator movie is also expected to film there.

Joining director Corin Hardy on the film is cinematographer Martijn van Broekhuizen and production designer Alex Cameron, who both worked on the 2015 horror movie The Hallow. Raymond Gieringer, who worked on Drag Me to Hell, will serve as VFX supervisor.

The original book is O’Barrs one-hit wonder and it’s a shame he never did anything else that achieved that same level. I wish he’d stop riding his own coattails. He’s like Linsner in that regard. The best thing about the original Cry for Dawn was not Dawn. But that’s for another topic.

The Crow was a great story with some wonderful art and an awesome first movie which fit right in with the times.  As much as I love the original, every Crow related project after has been a disappointment for me. In order for them to deliver a proper reboot they will have to follow the source material closer and deliver a different movie compared to the first. I already don’t like the title. I thought they were doing a remake. So just call it The Crow. Add Reborn and it fades into Salvation and City of Angels etc.

Jason Momoa's 'The Crow' Remake Lands 2019 Release Date

crowmomoa-1088020-640x320.jpeg

Jason Momoa's take on The Crow is finally coming to theaters!

According to THR, the Momoa-starring remake of The Crow, titled The Crow Reborn, will open on October 11, 2019. Sony revealed the news on Friday morning.

Directed by Corin Hardy, The Crow Reborn is based on the 1989 comic book by James O'Barr. Originally published by Caliber Comics, The Crow has sold over 750,000 copies worldwide.

Momoa stars in the film as aspiring rock musician Eric Draven, who returns from the dead to get revenge on the criminal organization that murdered his fiancé.