• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will history repeat itself. Hm

163 posts in this topic

hehe...

the reason I "shared" is that typically, our families do not understand our connection to the books or the collecting of the books... it wasn't so much for "advice" (I'm a big boy now lol ) but for reactions of "do my fellow boardies feel the same way I do"... but the biggest sales I have made, have typically not resulted in the ending I expected.... my guess is this time (hopefully) it will...

the cgc board community (many of which are or have become some of my bestest most goodest friends) is a good indicator of what I and many feel...books come and go, but the relationships we build are of far more significance to me.... I have steadily been reading and collecting comics since my first one in 1973...I doubt that will ever change....

that said, I stopped having a serious income in the mid 2000's.... I made great money mid 90s-mid 2000's, enough my family wouldn't have to worry, but at the same time, I either have to recyle my comic money,or hope I make enough selling books I buy for resell, to allow me to further collecting...

when "big" opportunities arise (much like bill buying dream house), I can't create money out of thin air....so I either borrow (and I don't like to debt finance anything because I don't have a steady or reliable income), or I sell existing assets....and the only "liquid" assets I have are my comics (and mego's)...

these days, I certainly enjoy the hunt as much if not more than the acquisition...that much is readily obvious.... but even though my personal books just sit in a box or on a shelf, I like knowing they are there....ready for a visit any time I want/need to...

my fear is that in the past, I have been able to part with a few "big" books, and for the most part, keep the quantity of my collection in tact...this time, I would have to part with the majority of my collection (not all mind you), and even then, there is no guarantee my endeavor will end in success....hence, the dilemma :o

in any event, I wish all a great day! enjoy life

... some I will likely never own again reasonably.

This phrase is far more dignified than the many other ways one could phrase this. (thumbs u

You site an opportunity.

Ignore this if it is too personal -- but are you exchanging your books for another physical object or a business investment opportunity?

One would seem to be a shift in the collecting game, the other -- a game changer.

my wife has always desired to live "on the beach"....I tried a few years ago to purchase her dream house, only to miss by a hair.... sometimes when you miss opportunity, you relegate yourself to never having a similar opp again....

keep in mind, I don't have a "job" or steady income, so even with hard assets (real estate), it is difficult to get a 7 figure loan to purchase a house....so I have to come in "cash" ready....

but timing is critical...so, we will see!

also, when can we expect the sell-off ? :popcorn:
If I jump on this opt, I will have to consign my books to an auction house, as I will need to show significant cash "fast"...I can't do that selling book by book, as I will require a cash advance check well into the mid 6 figures....

I'm leaning towards that, but I don't want to rush my decision...

This phrase is far more dignified than the many other ways one could phrase this. (thumbs u

You site an opportunity.

Ignore this if it is too personal -- but are you exchanging your books for another physical object or a business investment opportunity?

One would seem to be a shift in the collecting game, the other -- a game changer.

my wife has always desired to live "on the beach"....I tried a few years ago to purchase her dream house, only to miss by a hair.... sometimes when you miss opportunity, you relegate yourself to never having a similar opp again....

keep in mind, I don't have a "job" or steady income, so even with hard assets (real estate), it is difficult to get a 7 figure loan to purchase a house....so I have to come in "cash" ready....

Stray thought: Are there books (say, PCH or 1950s DC or whatever) that you have an interest in but haven't really collected? If so, then selling off the bulk of your current collection may be less painful because you can look forward to tracking down these other books in future years.

what I have noticed is that the mainstream books are "easy"....meaning, I can re-acquire virtually any dc or timely that I currently have...

it is the smaller publishers (specifically centaur), that for me, will result in the biggest regret...

as I have been collecting the publisher (for the second time), every time I look at my "needs" list, I think back to when I owned a particular issue on that list, before, and how I regret or wish I hadn't of sold... but I really believe it is the challenge that drives me, and the first time I sold, the frustration at the thought that I couldn't realistically complete (and thus fail that challenge)..

oh well, we shall see!

You site an opportunity.

G.A.tor you need 7 figure. I live in CA and the price hear are way more than Florida. I have been in the same spot as you and it went wrong.

I sold my Action 2 my 7 and 10 20 and 23 Bat 1 two copys Tec 3 and 4 and 28 few others Tec 27 coverless nice unrestored Cap 1 and you get the point this was in 2008.

I have /Had a wife 23 years 5 kids they grew up. Wife went to school to be a nurse.

I bought our dream house and when she got a job it paid 125 hour .

3 mounth later i live in a modular home she has house and i cant get my books back unless i pay 75% more than i sold for.

I only used 50k for down payment so i got more left but i hate not haveing my books.

I want them back but i am 52 now could stroke out anytime.

Do i really want them back that bad :preach: Now that they are gone and money not there to get back i thought maybe i collect money.

I look at that all day long. :idea:

Hello Gator,

Forgive me for intruding on your thread as I am not nearly as acquainted with you as many other boardies here. However as a kindred spirit to collecting, your thread is intriguing to me. I think you are basically asking the question we all ask ourselves at some point... If i didn't have XX money spent or locked up in comics/collectibles, i could be doing XYZ with it. Or the inevitable next question, "Should i get out of the hobby altogether and cash out while i still can?" At the end of the day i am pretty much a stranger to you, but as you said you are a big boy. We dont know all the variables. This is a hard decision only because you CAN. If you NEEDED to sell, it would be easy to liquidate at whatever discount to make quick sales but ready cash. You have been a collector for years and i think to deny that would be unwise. If it is indeed "time", as you have already stated, save the few you can't live without, take pics and move forward. Know yourself, the Centaur comics is a good example. Good Luck with whatever you choose. I am late to the party as far as knowing you, but your reputation precedes you, and your question is something we can all relate to.

Sell, and take the risk, brother.

I've sold my previous collections twice over - once to fund charitable work on behalf of Warchild in the former Yugoslavia, then something similar in India, which included financing a young woman's education.

In both cases, I have never for a single moment regretted my decision, or felt it was a sacrifice - quite the reverse. The collections funded once in a lifetime opportunities I'll never forget.

Now I'm into my third collection, and I'd do the same again without hesitation.

You know you can get the books back, even Centaurs, or most of them, or different books.

So the question is, will the opportunity you are looking at likely come again or not?

The books most certainly will.

Rick I guess it depends on what your buying! I gather your taking a run at a blue chip key book? If so then go for it because like you said go for the quality over the quantity.

Also, chances are you eventually will rebuy many of those books again down the road. We all have seen rare. High grade books change hands many times over the last 10 years (bunky's latest Church Centaur comes to mind).

Sell 'em and get the beach house.

Then sell some more to buy the maximum amount of hurricane and flood insurance. Then use the insurance money to buy them back. Then start the process all over. See...history repeating itself.

Gator

Although our circumstances are different, I too faced an existential question regarding my comic book collecting future this past fall. As has been documented in my Flash Comics Journal, I really enjoy reading GA Comics from cover to cover. Now that I have completed that series, I have been selling the collection slowly without any regrets. My collecting interest have turned to PEP Comics. This time, rather than spending years and more money for a title in greater demand, I have made the transition to reading PEPs on my iPad. I was skeptical at first. Seeing how touch and smell are senses as important as the eyes when reading a GA comic. However, the experience of reading a hi-res digital copy comfortably in bed is very satisfying. I have now been redirecting my GA comic buying budget into another 'opportunity fund' that the whole family will benefit from.

Sell 'em and get the beach house.

Then sell some more to buy the maximum amount of hurricane and flood insurance. Then use the insurance money to buy them back. Then start the process all over. See...history repeating itself.

:idea:

Beyond Belief... what a great song!!

History repeats the old conceits

The glib replies the same defeats

Keep your finger on important issues

With crocodile tears and a pocketful of tissues

-Elvis Costello

I'm just the oily slick

On the windup world of the nervous tick

In a very fashionable hovel

-Elvis Costello

You site an opportunity.

G.A.tor you need 7 figure. I live in CA and the price hear are way more than Florida. I have been in the same spot as you and it went wrong.

I sold my Action 2 my 7 and 10 20 and 23 Bat 1 two copys Tec 3 and 4 and 28 few others Tec 27 coverless nice unrestored Cap 1 and you get the point this was in 2008.

I have /Had a wife 23 years 5 kids they grew up. Wife went to school to be a nurse.

I bought our dream house and when she got a job it paid 125 hour .

3 mounth later i live in a modular home she has house and i cant get my books back unless i pay 75% more than i sold for.

I only used 50k for down payment so i got more left but i hate not haveing my books.

I want them back but i am 52 now could stroke out anytime.

Do i really want them back that bad :preach: Now that they are gone and money not there to get back i thought maybe i collect money.

I look at that all day long. :idea:

what is this rubbish?