• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst excuses deadbeat buyers give for not paying for purchases on eBay?

99 posts in this topic

The preceding the "?" that you replied to.

No....you cannot neg a buyer on eBay.

:makepoint: Still didn't answer it.

You can leave a negative comment on positive feedback, but there's a chance it could be removed by ebay and even if it isn't, most people wouldn't read it anyway as your negative comment would get drowned out in the sea of positive feedback.

Not worth the time or headache. My 2c

Back around 2005? I actually did have someone hack my eBay account.

I was locked out of my account, all of my listings were cancelled and they did not buy a single thing.

However they started using my account to list automobiles. That was a shocker.

I called up eBay and they took care of everything for me.

had that too but with 25 25in flat screen LCD tv's for 1k each

got my acc back and called/emailed all 25 buyers explaining what happened and to not send payment (1 did)

i then went on a fact finding mission to gather as much info as i could on the "guy" who put them up......got where he worked, address/phone# and some other info. turns out he didn't work where he told people he did (i called)

after getting all the info i went to the local police for identiy theft (which i think he did by hancking my acc), they wouldn't do anything and told me to contact ebay. in the end i just droped the issue

iirc 2-3 people from that left me neg feedback and that is the only negs i've recived

BTW, forgot to post the name of the buyer who used the "my kid bought it" excuse: ucr84

Also...DeathToHemingway: Your story about the buyer who was too sick to pay but not too sick to send you messages reminded me of a very similar excuse I was given a few years back. I mean if they really are sick that's a shame, but come on, if you can type on your computer you can certainly click the PAY button as well! doh!

BTW, forgot to post the name of the buyer who used the "my kid bought it" excuse: ucr84

Also...DeathToHemingway: Your story about the buyer who was too sick to pay but not too sick to send you messages reminded me of a very similar excuse I was given a few years back. I mean if they really are sick that's a shame, but come on, if you can type on your computer you can certainly click the PAY button as well! doh!

Added to block list..."DeathToHemingway" shows invalid ID...

I once bought something/paid for it, only to have the seller tell me he "accidentally dropped the comic in a bucket of bleach, and it was destroyed" so he could no longer sell it to me. That's probably the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard on eBay. (He likely sold it to another bidder for a higher price than I won it for at auction).

I had a similar incident with an eBay seller once. I managed to score a $50 book for $3 in an auction with only one other low-ball bid. Since the seller offered combined shipping, I bought a few other dollar-bin books (which I'd never have ordered on their own) to take advantage of the fact that I was already paying the shipping fee.

A few weeks later, the package arrives minus the $50 book. Instead, there's a note saying that he "accidentally ripped the book putting it back into its bag and didn't want to sell me damaged goods". Along with which he enclosed three US singles. So basically I got hosed into paying international shipping for a handful of cheap books.

If he'd emailed me to tell me about the damage, I'd have told him to send the book anyway or cancel the whole order.

I once bought something/paid for it, only to have the seller tell me he "accidentally dropped the comic in a bucket of bleach, and it was destroyed" so he could no longer sell it to me. That's probably the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard on eBay. (He likely sold it to another bidder for a higher price than I won it for at auction).

I had a similar incident with an eBay seller once. I managed to score a $50 book for $3 in an auction with only one other low-ball bid. Since the seller offered combined shipping, I bought a few other dollar-bin books (which I'd never have ordered on their own) to take advantage of the fact that I was already paying the shipping fee.

A few weeks later, the package arrives minus the $50 book. Instead, there's a note saying that he "accidentally ripped the book putting it back into its bag and didn't want to sell me damaged goods". Along with which he enclosed three US singles. So basically I got hosed into paying international shipping for a handful of cheap books.

If he'd emailed me to tell me about the damage, I'd have told him to send the book anyway or cancel the whole order.

And this is the perfect example of when you nail a buyer with negative feedback and file a SNAD claim via PayPal.

I had a hockey goalie mask up for sale several years and some guy put a bid in at the last minute and won.

I sent the invoice and no reply for a few days.

Then someone emailed back that the bidder died in Iraq and can I cancel the sale...

Um...don't know what to say to that one.

me neither............so I offered to the next highest bidder and he bought it (this was back in the ebay days when you could offer 2nd chances)

Sandflea, sorry if I wasn't clear...the only buyer to block is UCR84, the next paragraph was me simply responding to fellow boardie DeathToHemingway about his experience with a buyer who was "too sick to pay". So DON'T block him! :)

This thread is very timely. I just got a message saying that they cant sell me the comic i ordered because his grandson just got into his attic and ripped all of his copies up. hm very timely considering the book might get hot now after the FF trailer was released....

I had a hockey goalie mask up for sale several years and some guy put a bid in at the last minute and won.

I sent the invoice and no reply for a few days.

Then someone emailed back that the bidder died in Iraq and can I cancel the sale...

Um...don't know what to say to that one.

me neither............so I offered to the next highest bidder and he bought it (this was back in the ebay days when you could offer 2nd chances)

You can still do this, my account informs me that "1 item I sold is eligible for a Second Chance Offer."

Sandflea, sorry if I wasn't clear...the only buyer to block is UCR84, the next paragraph was me simply responding to fellow boardie DeathToHemingway about his experience with a buyer who was "too sick to pay". So DON'T block him! :)

doh! All apologies... doh!

When I first started selling on eBay, in 2004, I was selling a lot of Yugioh and Pokemon, but man did it attract a lot of children and it ruined my feedback back then. I had a lot of people asking to cancel, also, stating that their kids bid on the auction.