• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any books red hot 5-10 years ago that have now fallen?

197 posts in this topic

Every single Bronze book in 9.8

Hulk181, GSX1, X94, GL76 etc ...

The multiples in 9.8 have dropped but those books have been slowly rising in all lower grades.

At some point the lower grades will push up the highest grades again...which is the way it should be. There needs to be a relationship between all tiers for stability.

People paying many multiples of 9.6 prices for a 9.8 was just too much volatility for the market to accept over the long term.

The multiples in 9.8 have dropped but those books have been slowly rising in all lower grades.

At some point the lower grades will push up the highest grades again...which is the way it should be. There needs to be a relationship between all tiers for stability.

People paying many multiples of 9.6 prices for a 9.8 was just too much volatility for the market to accept over the long term.

Still, those books will not get back to those levels. ie 181@30k, X94@25k

The demand will always been there, it's the supply that outpaces it.

I agree, and I didn't intend to imply that.

Only that they will now grow at a more reasonable pace.

I agree, and I didn't intend to imply that.

Only that they will now grow at a more reasonable pace.

(thumbs u

What RMA said. Nearly every 9.6/9.8 Bronze or Copper book that was still considered "impossible" or "rare in 9.8" back in 2000-2004.

Harbinger 1 in 9.8 went from a $1,000 (although it later peaked at $1,800+) to $300

Punisher Ltd. # 1 in 9.8 went from $400 (though it later peaked at $550+) to $300

Batman 428 in 9.8 went from $700 to $200

Ghost Rider ('73) # 1 in 9.8 went from $6,500+ to $2400

Hero For Hire # 1 is flat since its 2008 high ($3,200 in 9.6 -- only recently recovering to about that level, which is impressive considering there are now a few 9.8s above it as well).

Ditto Werewolf By Night # 32 -- peaked around $3,200 in 9.6 in 2009; now 9.6s would sell for about $2,000 -- impressive given that there were no 9.8s six years ago; now there are.

For moderns, Origin # 1 was still a $100-110 book in 9.8 in 2004; now it's about $60-$65.

GI Joe # 21 had multiple 9.8 sales above $2,100 as recently as 2009; now it's ~$500.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

2009: $30,500

2010: $25,000

2011: $10,158

2013: $7,335

2014: $6,274 (Don & Maggie copy)

Perfect example of a hot artist being hot with his generation`s fans and not with the modern generation.

Steranko books have taken a hit, as well.

So in conclusion

A hot first appearance of a character will trump a hot first appearance of an artist in the long run.

Fantastic Fours in CGC 9.8 white have been cut in half since 10 years ago, because I sold my first batch in 2005 on Pedigree for at least twice what I'd get for them now.

Fantastic Four 166 and 167 are the two that leap out.

Interesting history lesson here. The drop in the great majority (nearly all?) 9.6/9.8 Bronze Age books over a 10-year period is a careful lesson that applies with greater force to the crazy-high census-count 9.8 Coppers, issues that have an even greater number out there unslabbed, waiting to be dropped on the market.