• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EVERYTHING SOLD.....thanks all!

1,469 posts in this topic

Impossible to police. The market is what it is, and it's a free market at that. We can be gentlemen about it though :)

...and yet we have an eBay banned buyer list.

That's different. That's workable. Ensuring that an offering is only sold to a collector who wants it for their collection is not.

Impossible to police. The market is what it is, and it's a free market at that. We can be gentlemen about it though :)

That's different. That's workable. Ensuring that an offering is only sold to a collector who wants it for their collection is not.

... nor should it be. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think there is a discussion to be had on this subject, but we should probably take that to the "General Discussion" area, rather than here in october's thread...

Good god, please don't :facepalm:

[EDIT] - Too late

:D

Just trying to steer the discussion out of this sales thread ;)

And whoever can make indictments and judgments against me on here but I do give up books and let collectors, or even dealers :o have them often. I think some people can testify to that. BesidesI lost the two books I really wanted. One to a dealer and the other to someone who recently had a sales thread on here. You win some, you lose some. You just have to be grateful for the wins and happy for others.

You have a lot of wins to be grateful for, and it seems mostly with the intention of getting collectors to pay that bit extra for them.

Don't get me wrong, you did nothing against the rules and you're entitled to sell books that you've purchased but deliberately trying to Hoover up a very large percentage of books offered before others can get them so that you can quickly flip them is bad form IMHO, especially announcing it in the thread.

Others opinions may vary.

... nor should it be. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...and a probation list of BOARD MEMBERS. Somehow, if there were a list had the potential to increase $$ for a flipper, the unworkable may seemingly become workable.

That's the last I will say in this thread because I don't have any ill feelings to the posters' sales thread but I can see how others are feeling a bit miffed right about now. I am glad the OP had a successful sales thread just the same.

I would not be happy with a customer at my lcs trying to sell things to my customers in my store that he just bought from me, IN MY STORE. That is what's happening here, and it seems like bad form, it seems like you're disrespecting the store owner. Of course i don't have all the facts. Maybe got approved by the store owner ahead of time.

Flipping is a non issue to me. The bold advertisement in the thread especially while there are still some books for sale....

I have to chime in as well, I have no problems with Nik or anyone else who was superhuman fast on the "take its", I got beat on all but one book and I'm not even sure about that. I am a collector that would like to start selling off undercopies that are building up, and definitely would not be one to pass up a killer key at a flea market for resale, but don't consider myself a dealer. I have also bought a book or two from October, top notch. All that being said, this sales thread was an absolute BLAST to watch and try to participate in, one of the best I've seen. This Monday off was a real treat for me as I don't have access to computers at work. My 2 cents, if its even worth that. :cool:

And whoever can make indictments and judgments against me on here but I do give up books and let collectors, or even dealers :o have them often. I think some people can testify to that. BesidesI lost the two books I really wanted. One to a dealer and the other to someone who recently had a sales thread on here. You win some, you lose some. You just have to be grateful for the wins and happy for others.

You have a lot of wins to be grateful for, and it seems mostly with the intention of getting collectors to pay that bit extra for them.

Don't get me wrong, you did nothing against the rules and you're entitled to sell books that you've purchased but deliberately trying to Hoover up a very large percentage of books offered before others can get them so that you can quickly flip them is bad form IMHO, especially announcing it in the thread.

This is a morality issue. You can look toward theories on "egoism, utilitarianism and deontological" ideology for guidance as to what is considered "bad form" but most sub cultures tend to drink their own cool-aid. It's no different here.

Perhaps put yourself in someone elses shoes. If you were a dealer how and where do you restock? And how does it differ from other commodities?

Hey everyone, and especially Andy, please forgive me for derailing this thread. My main intention for the post offering books was that if someone really wanted the book I would ship it to them for a small mark up once I received it for the trouble. It is tough to manage redirecting books to new buyers and I wanted to avoid that for Andy. I did say some books, not all. Some of these books I will not be letting go of anytime soon. I wasn't flipping these in Andy's face, or that was not my intention. I am a full-time dealer, but I love comics and have since I was 5 years old. I have known some boardies on here since I was that age. It's fun, I've found a way to make a living at it but I am not trying to be disrespectful to anyone of hurt the hobby. I know that what I did and said in the thread may be offensive to some. So please forgive me for that. It was a lack of judgment on my part.

This is a morality issue. You can look toward theories on "egoism, utilitarianism and deontological" ideology for guidance as to what is considered "bad form" but most sub cultures tend to drink their own cool-aid. It's no different here.

Perhaps put yourself in someone elses shoes. If you were a dealer how and where do you restock? And how does it differ from other commodities?

While it was frustrating actually trying to get anythihng and being the 5th "I'll take it" seconds after it's posted, I accept what went down. This criticism is just inappropriate. To call someone out who got more than you just doesn't sound right to me. This is just one avenue people take to buy books. There are many other ways to build relationships and develop a system to purchase key titles.

I don't think he was being as arse buy offering the books with a small mark up...its actually a kind gesture and done out of camaraderie of others. I have no problem with it.

While it was frustrating actually trying to get anythihng and being the 5th "I'll take it" seconds after it's posted, I accept what went down. This criticism is just inappropriate. To call someone out who got more than you just doesn't sound right to me. This is just one avenue people take to buy books. There are many other ways to build relationships and develop a system to purchase key titles.

I don't think he was being as arse buy offering the books with a small mark up...its actually a kind gesture and done out of camaraderie of others. I have no problem with it.

So if you're at the LCS and the guy pulls the last 10 'Comic A' issues off the rack, sees 10 people ask the store owner for more of them, then announces IN THE STORE IN FRONT OF THE OWNER before he's even paid for it that he'll sell it to everyone for more $$? It could easily be construed as doing a solid to the other potential customers, but to a store owner or dealer that could be money that would other wise be spent IN HIS STORE, and it doesn't feel right to me. Its tough to get people to come to a store or thread, dealers/sellers shouldn't have to deal with competition IN THEIR store or thread.

I don't think it was done from an evil place or anything, but it seemed to lack a little forethought into the execution and how it could be perceived.

I don't mind the thread derailment, it's an important discussion I guess.

I want to be clear. I don't have a problem with dealers or resellers buying my stuff. 75% of more of my sales, on and off the boards, go to guys who immediately mark the books up. I am fine with that. I have a full time job and I don't have the time or patience to retail my books. I would much rather spend the time I have tracking down more stuff to buy and leave some money on the table when selling wholesale.

That said, I do empathize with the guys who had slightly slower internet. I tried, on a few books, to give it to the third buyer instead of the first. I will also talk to Brian about ideas on how to spread the purchases around a bit more in the future.

Thanks to everyone for buying. These threads are a lot of work, but they are also a lot of fun. I will plan to do another one of similar quality 6-12 months from now.

Also, I ask that people be a little patient with me. I sold more than I anticipated. The market is just unbelievable right now.

I took two days off of work to do this, but I have to be back tomorrow. I will try to get everyone invoiced by the end of today. Shipping will take a bit longer, depending on how many people pay immediately. I will try to get books in the mail within a few days of payment.

Thanks again to Crassus. Big help.

I'm glad this hasn't soured you on future sales. I look forward to certain sales on the boards and your sales are definitely worth looking forward to. I'm very happy with the one comic I got :banana:

That said, I do empathize with the guys who had slightly slower internet. I tried, on a few books, to give it to the third buyer instead of the first. I will also talk to Brian about ideas on how to spread the purchases around a bit more in the future.

How about this for an idea? Set everything up with clickable thumbnails, listed VCC style. Instead of people just hitting refresh over and over and over, all the books would be listed in a few posts. Buyers would have to look through everything instead of just hitting F5 continuously.

That format would allow the posting of all comics for sale at once, or nearly at once.