• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EVERYTHING SOLD.....thanks all!

1,469 posts in this topic

I don't mind the thread derailment, it's an important discussion I guess.

I want to be clear. I don't have a problem with dealers or resellers buying my stuff. 75% of more of my sales, on and off the boards, go to guys who immediately mark the books up. I am fine with that. I have a full time job and I don't have the time or patience to retail my books. I would much rather spend the time I have tracking down more stuff to buy and leave some money on the table when selling wholesale.

That said, I do empathize with the guys who had slightly slower internet. I tried, on a few books, to give it to the third buyer instead of the first. I will also talk to Brian about ideas on how to spread the purchases around a bit more in the future.

Thanks to everyone for buying. These threads are a lot of work, but they are also a lot of fun. I will plan to do another one of similar quality 6-12 months from now.

I think he limited the amount of books you could snag to like 1 or 2 for a certain time limit. Something like that I believe.

Glad I was able to pick up a few books before the real frenzy here began. After that I was way too slow and was working.

I think I'm the opposite. As a seller here on the boards, I'd love to sell as many books to the same person as possible, provided everyone has an equal chance. You save time on creating multiple packages, you save money on packing materials, tracking payments and shipping is easier, you save on fees, its faster to go through your thread to create invoices... etc. This is especially true if you're selling online here the forums, but I'd feel differently for sure if I was a real dealer who did this for a living, and creating a repeat customer base was integral to my livelihood.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see one dealer primarily muscle everyone out of a sales thread. Not everyone is buying books on here to flip. Some people still want decently priced books for their personal collection.

I feel the same way. I got two books and the dealer made a stink about me getting one of them because I beat him to it. I even sent him a pm and offered the book and he declined. Oh well. As the Rolling Stones say, "you can't always get what you want".

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see one dealer primarily muscle everyone out of a sales thread. Not everyone is buying books on here to flip. Some people still want decently priced books for their personal collection.

It could have been worse, he could have chosen to pre-sell to known dealers first. To his credit, he didn't.

Some days you get the bear. Some days the bear get you. (shrug)

I don't think that you can say everyone had an equal chance based on internet & pc speed! Many potential buyers dropped out after an hour or so of seeing a few members hitting :takeit: within 2 - 5 seconds of each comic that was listed. I have extreme high speed internet, with a quad core i7 processor & even I couldn't even keep up with that. You'd think they were using esnipe or something. :/

I want to be clear. I don't have a problem with dealers or resellers buying my stuff. 75% of more of my sales, on and off the boards, go to guys who immediately mark the books up. I am fine with that. I have a full time job and I don't have the time or patience to retail my books. I would much rather spend the time I have tracking down more stuff to buy and leave some money on the table when selling wholesale.

That said, I do empathize with the guys who had slightly slower internet. I tried, on a few books, to give it to the third buyer instead of the first. I will also talk to Brian about ideas on how to spread the purchases around a bit more in the future.

Thanks to everyone for buying. These threads are a lot of work, but they are also a lot of fun. I will plan to do another one of similar quality 6-12 months from now.

I think he limited the amount of books you could snag to like 1 or 2 for a certain time limit. Something like that I believe.

Glad I was able to pick up a few books before the real frenzy here began. After that I was way too slow and was working.

I think I'm the opposite. As a seller here on the boards, I'd love to sell as many books to the same person as possible, provided everyone has an equal chance. You save time on creating multiple packages, you save money on packing materials, tracking payments and shipping is easier, you save on fees, its faster to go through your thread to create invoices... etc. This is especially true if you're selling online here the forums, but I'd feel differently for sure if I was a real dealer who did this for a living, and creating a repeat customer base was integral to my livelihood.

I don't think that you can say everyone had an equal chance based on internet & pc speed! Many potential buyers dropped out after an hour or so of seeing a few members hitting :takeit: within 2 - 5 seconds of each comic that was listed. I have extreme high speed internet, with a quad core i7 processor & even I couldn't even keep up with that. You'd think they were using esnipe or something. :/

fair enough, but I don't think the inequality was created by the seller, that's what I mean. Obviously someone working from a Iphone 4 with 3G in rural North Korea would have a lesser chance (I exaggerate for effect), then a network engineer at Google. Like if I sell an AF 15 at my LCS for $100. Everyone has a fair chance at it. People who happen to be in the store have a much better chance at it, but the inherent 'unfairness' of that is not something I can control. There's no reason (ok its tough to get a visa) someone can't be visiting from rural North Korea and happen to be in my store at the time.

I don't think he was secretly hoping to sell to people with faster internet refresh. Although if he was, I guess its within his right to give them the advantage if he wants to.

My comment wasn't meant to criticize the OP in any way! :sorry: I'm just saying that potential buyers seem to have felt bullied out of a chance to buy anything after hanging around for a few hours & possibly even taking time away from their jobs. Not all things are created equal & I don't expect them to be. You'd think that people here would be more willing to share though. :foryou: I've seen threads were 1 buyer will offer a comic to the next guy as a courtesy, not for a profit. :taptaptap:

fair enough, but I don't think the inequality was created by the seller, that's what I mean. Obviously someone working from a Iphone 4 with 3G in rural North Korea would have a lesser chance (I exaggerate for effect), then a network engineer at Google. Like if I sell an AF 15 at my LCS for $100. Everyone has a fair chance at it. People who happen to be in the store have a much better chance at it, but the inherent 'unfairness' of that is not something I can control. There's no reason (ok its tough to get a visa) someone can't be visiting from rural North Korea and happen to be in my store at the time.

I don't think he was secretly hoping to sell to people with faster internet refresh. Although if he was, I guess its within his right to give them the advantage if he wants to.

My comment wasn't meant to criticize the OP in any way! :sorry: I'm just saying that potential buyers seem to have felt bullied out of a chance to buy anything after hanging around for a few hours & possibly even taking time away from their jobs. Not all things are created equal & I don't expect them to be. You'd think that people here would be more willing to share though. :foryou: I've seen threads were 1 buyer will offer a comic to the next guy as a courtesy, not for a profit. :taptaptap:

I think that has happened a lot in this thread, the 'offer to the next guy', but that would be a logistical nightmare for the OP with this many books and this many buyers. I understand people aggressively pursuing these books, but if you or anyone else feels bullied, then you should absolutely report that to the OP, and more appropriately the mods. There is ABSOLUTELY no place in this thread or these boards (or really, in life) for bullying. If someone bullied you or others, publicly or via pm, you should absolutely report it.

I didn't personally feel bullied & was only waiting on a few comics! My timing was off though, but I did hang around watching for over an hour waiting for those comics. Seemed like other members were a little upset though.

I think that has happened a lot in this thread, the 'offer to the next guy', but that would be a logistical nightmare for the OP with this many books and this many buyers. I understand people aggressively pursuing these books, but if you or anyone else feels bullied, then you should absolutely report that to the OP, and more appropriately the mods. There is ABSOLUTELY no place in this thread or these boards (or really, in life) for bullying. If someone bullied you or others, publicly or via pm, you should absolutely report it.

I hope nobody felt "bullied". If they did, they need to sack up and grow a pair.

unless they were actually bullied.

I hope nobody felt "bullied". If they did, they need to sack up and grow a pair.

How would one get bullied in a sales thread like this? That word gets thrown around way too easily.

Spoken just like a bully, so maybe you don't get the concept! :kidaround:

How would one get bullied in a sales thread like this? That word gets thrown around way too easily.

It would probably have been too much work for a thread this size but you could run it like a waiver wire. Once you claim a book your name is added to the list at the bottom. As other people buy they get added and you move up. For the 5 minutes after a book is listed you take all the people who want it. First priority goes to new buyers. If there is more than one then first posted gets it. If all the buyers are on the list then the highest name gets it and they get moved to the bottom of the list. Just a thought

It would probably have been too much work for a thread this size but you could run it like a waiver wire. Once you claim a book your name is added to the list at the bottom. As other people buy they get added and you move up. For the 5 minutes after a book is listed you take all the people who want it. First priority goes to new buyers. If there is more than one then first posted gets it. If all the buyers are on the list then the highest name gets it and they get moved to the bottom of the list. Just a thought

I like it, a very interesting idea. Probably need a program/algorithm for it though. Really tough to justify putting in all that extra effort if you're getting the same amount of money (less actually due to fees) and have lot more work to do packaging and a lot more orders/payments/shipments to keep track of. I actually tried to do a 'comic draft' snake draft style round by round right here on the boards. I needed I think at least 6 people, but only got 3, so we never did it. ON the other hand, one of those people was the now infamous HUSTRUCK, so maybe I dodged a bullet.

I like it, a very interesting idea. Probably need a program/algorithm for it though. Really tough to justify putting in all that extra effort if you're getting the same amount of money (less actually due to fees) and have lot more work to do packaging and a lot more orders/payments/shipments to keep track of. I actually tried to do a 'comic draft' snake draft style round by round right here on the boards. I needed I think at least 6 people, but only got 3, so we never did it. ON the other hand, one of those people was the now infamous HUSTRUCK, so maybe I dodged a bullet.

Must have missed the Hustruck thing. What happened?