• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Import fees question UPDATE

46 posts in this topic

Where are you shipping to? US to Canada? I'm honestly not sure. I just know that customs is very strict on declaring value and they have a lot of power including the right to confiscate your property if they find you intentionally neglecting to declare value. I was told this the last time I picked books up from Michigan.

I buy comics from the us and have it shipped to Canada and anything that's valuable I get charged with import fee :(

If you don't like the laws of your country, move. (thumbs u

I am going to save this and use it against you one day, Nick!

Where are you shipping to? US to Canada? I'm honestly not sure. I just know that customs is very strict on declaring value and they have a lot of power including the right to confiscate your property if they find you intentionally neglecting to declare value. I was told this the last time I picked books up from Michigan.

I buy comics from the us and have it shipped to Canada and anything that's valuable I get charged with import fee :(

We are quite lucky in the UK in having exemptions on books / printed matter, but the $ exchange rate is a bit rubbish at present.

This is the most reasonable option. BUy a PO Box accross the border, and go there to pick up and mail packages whenever you need to. Of course, this also takes time and money, and there may be size limitations depending on how big your packages are and how often you get them. Do some real math and see if that's worth it, because it takes GAS money and PO Box money and/or possibly currency translation fees to do this too and a bunch of time depending on where you live to do this too..

Are you not still liable for import duties when you bring the goods across the border ?

hmmm hm I've never done that before so I couldn't tell you

We are quite lucky in the UK in having exemptions on books / printed matter, but the $ exchange rate is a bit rubbish at present.

that's cool I never knew that

This is the most reasonable option. BUy a PO Box accross the border, and go there to pick up and mail packages whenever you need to. Of course, this also takes time and money, and there may be size limitations depending on how big your packages are and how often you get them. Do some real math and see if that's worth it, because it takes GAS money and PO Box money and/or possibly currency translation fees to do this too and a bunch of time depending on where you live to do this too..

Are you not still liable for import duties when you bring the goods across the border ?

hmmm hm I've never done that before so I couldn't tell you

yes yes you are... you could lie and say you dont have anything and see how that goes when you get caught.

It depends whether the form of shipment requires a statement of the contents: up to 2.2 lbs from Italy it is not necessary to do so for Priority and Registered.

I pay the import fees when I buy from the US as well, but not when I buy from Europe (thanks Nick! :hi: ) but when I sell people do not pay any fee.

I (knock on wood) buy somewhat regularly from the US and very rarely do I get a customs/import fee...Luck of the draw?

I’d say so, Ty – time ago it was very uncommon in Italy too that packages were always checked at the customs – they just sampled a few, but now that the government needs money it’s the opposite (just rarely they pass, almost always they are stopped and you pay the fees).

How often are you getting dinged with a customs/import fee?

It it is eBay you are buying on, are the sellers part of the Global Ship Program?

I (knock on wood) buy somewhat regularly from the US and very rarely do I get a customs/import fee...Luck of the draw?

I've been coming to the same conclusion and think that it's ebay doing this and luckily I bought something coins off these boards valued 500 bucks so I think it's be the perfect test to see if ebay is ripping me off

It depends whether the form of shipment requires a statement of the contents: up to 2.2 lbs from Italy it is not necessary to do so for Priority and Registered.

I pay the import fees when I buy from the US as well, but not when I buy from Europe (thanks Nick! :hi: ) but when I sell people do not pay any fee.

I’d say so, Ty – time ago it was very uncommon in Italy too that packages were always checked at the customs – they just sampled a few, but now that the government needs money it’s the opposite (just rarely they pass, almost always they are stopped and you pay the fees).

yeah I've been coming to the conclusion that I can only buy comics from Canada unless ebay is the only place that charges those import fees luckily I'll find out very soon and that means only buy comics I think that are worth 150 bucks and below

..... and with "used" printed matter, "value" is even more subjective. These comics are worth something to some ..... but certainly nothing like a case of watches or software that have specific wholesale and retail values subject to verification. If I pay 500 USD for a pea pod..... that doesn't mean the pea pod has a value of 500 USD...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... and with "used" printed matter, "value" is even more subjective. These comics are worth something to some ..... but certainly nothing like a case of watches or software that have specific wholesale and retail values subject to verification. If I pay 500 USD for a pea pod..... that doesn't mean the pea pod has a value of 500 USD...... GOD BLESS....

are you trying to give me a hint? lol regardless of the subjective value if it's past a certain amount I get charged import fees and I don't know if that's only from ebay or in general but I'm gonna find out

I do know one thing, if that parcel gets damaged or lost..... you'll quickly find out what the "value" of that item is. GOD BLESS....

.... you definitely want the insurance and the "value" to be the same.....

Gentlemen - Under NAFTA, there are no "import fees" to bring comics across the border from the USA into Canada. But Canadians are still legally obligated to pay sales tax on such old comics. I have typically found that if a comic has a declared value under $100, the government does not care and it gets delivered in the mail just fine. But for comics worth over $100, I receive a pickup notice asking me to come to the post office, where I must pay 13% sales tax (5% federal and 8 % provincial) on the declared value.

If you have a postal box in the US and drive across the border to pick up comics from that address, you are required to declare their value when you cross back into Canada. Customs Canada can then ask you to pay sales tax on any amounts that exceed your tourist limits (which is $0 for a trip under 24 hours).

I do know one thing, if that parcel gets damaged or lost..... you'll quickly find out what the "value" of that item is. GOD BLESS....

.... you definitely want the insurance and the "value" to be the same.....

lol I was told if those don't match you're in trouble

Most places near the border are parcel stores where people pick up their parcels. You can Google that in your area if you are close by.

This is the most reasonable option. BUy a PO Box accross the border, and go there to pick up and mail packages whenever you need to. Of course, this also takes time and money, and there may be size limitations depending on how big your packages are and how often you get them. Do some real math and see if that's worth it, because it takes GAS money and PO Box money and/or possibly currency translation fees to do this too and a bunch of time depending on where you live to do this too.

The other option is to include the import fees into your budget/cost model, and evaluate if its really worth it for you to be dealing comics at this point in your life given your circumstances, whether or not it is really viable, or if you need more business and comics experience and/or education first.

http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1093.pdf

Not going to work. If you open a PO Box in the United States you need TWO forms of valid ID. If you use your passport as one of them then you leave an easy paper trail for the Canadian government to audit you if need be.

Same thing in France : ten years ago I did not pay any custom taxes, now, I must pay them every time...

Some dealers declare lesser value and you can save a little but not all of them.

Gentlemen - Under NAFTA, there are no "import fees" to bring comics across the border from the USA into Canada. But Canadians are still legally obligated to pay sales tax on such old comics. I have typically found that if a comic has a declared value under $100, the government does not care and it gets delivered in the mail just fine. But for comics worth over $100, I receive a pickup notice asking me to come to the post office, where I must pay 13% sales tax (5% federal and 8 % provincial) on the declared value.

If you have a postal box in the US and drive across the border to pick up comics from that address, you are required to declare their value when you cross back into Canada. Customs Canada can then ask you to pay sales tax on any amounts that exceed your tourist limits (which is $0 for a trip under 24 hours).

man that's a pain