• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The last eBay thread?

326 posts in this topic

Kav is good people

Kav and Good should never be mentioned in one sentence

Despite his somewhat odd posting habits, he is the salt of the earth I tell ya

I'm a salty dog from the old salty sea

post3.png

Kav is good people

Kav and Good should never be mentioned in one sentence

What about 'good lord it's Kav'?

And he would sell you some shoes he wore in grade 7

Like a fine wine, my shoes need to age. My shoes will not be for sale until next summer.

so they are similar to cheese

They don't really smell though - they are just old - but hey - if someone wants to pay full retail as if they were new or double retail plus shipping for my shoes - who am I to deny them?

Kav will really grow on you after a while-- he's a fun guy

People that take themselves too serious always have a problem with a joker in the deck

Side note: You own some of the few comic stores that if I was ever on vacation, I would use some of that time to stop at a comic store and look around. This is coming from a guy that never walks into comic stores in other states to "look around."

So... good job... you seem to do very well, and you seem to run an excellent ship. You know what you do and you do it well... Continue on.

Thank you.

Does ebay still cap FVF at $250 for certain items? I always thought that severely limited their profitability on some high sale items. not sure if they agreed to a fee free sale of the Action 1 last year but they could be leaving a lot of money on the table for frequently sold high dollar items. Even if they did a reduced FVF percentages at different sale price points. Though do you think that might prevent sellers from listing high dollar items?

I don't think ebay's going away so this thread will live dormant a long time, I don't think it'll get much better, I don't think it can get much worse and if it does, it'll go through many changes before it dies. If anything, it may be positioned for a merger or a buyout. I like using ebay for buying and selling.

I like buying back issues at LCSs and I've made some decent trades at an LCS and they've actually facilitated a fee free cash sale to another collector in their store.

I'll never sell comics to an LCS unless I absolutely have to. They've never offered me more than I've been able to make from a 10 minute ebay listing with FVF and cost of T&E and shipping.

However, I know that if I ever did need to sell some comics for fast cash today, a comic shop is the only place I can go to do that that will give me the most from my comics vs a pawn shop. Let's say for whatever reason, I needed to liquidate my collection in 24hrs, I could probably get 40-60% (maybe more maybe less) of the value of my collection assuming they have enough cash on hand. I also know that the reason I can get deals on back issues at a comic shop below guide is because they buy their collections at prices that allow them a comfortable margin. I know that their sale price is marked up for an ideal sale often above guide or at least a half grade point higher than it really is but that leaves them some margin to play with. When they are quick to agree to an offer at 70-80% of guide price or a downgrade in grade, I know they had inflated the grade or a margin that exceeds 40% or just needed fast cash to pay shop overhead. Whatever it is I don't care if I'm getting what I want for the price I'm happy with. I just hope they keep finding people willing to sell their collections to them at such low prices so I can keep getting great deals but as information becomes perfectly known, this will be less frequent and only occur if a collector falls on hard times and needs cash fast or a beneficiary just wants a quick buck.

Kav will really grow on you after a while-- he's a fun guy

People that take themselves too serious always have a problem with a joker in the deck

That is kind of a accurate poker-playing comparison. lol

Kav is aces in my book.

running a comic shop nowadays is a tough business. has been for a while. i am sure guys like bedrock do fine, but he has what, 30 years of goodwill and has invested badjillions into his business over the years and even then it is no doubt a game of constant adjustments and so on. plus, he has massive overhead each month he has to worry about.

the solo store owner out there are scraping by, maybe trying to support a family or whatever, even with "ripping off" people selling them comics. paying $3 for a $30 wall book might be what the guy needs to pay the electric bill or buy groceries that day. some of this is due to being lousy business people, but a lot of it is because it is just a tough business to crack nowadays with declining readership and internet competition.

I haven't read this whole thread but I was wondering if any of the more experienced collectors think this is going to change comic collecting back to the way it was? I mean will conventions and LCSs start to take center stage again?

I haven't read this whole thread but I was wondering if any of the more experienced collectors think this is going to change comic collecting back to the way it was? I mean will conventions and LCSs start to take center stage again?

You mean leave my house and actually have to interact with people? That's crazy. I don't have time for that when I have to update every waking second on facebook or instagram with my phone hardwired to my hands. Hell, I can't even drive without texting 12 different people what I am thinking every second of the day. Cause I am special and everyone has to know how special I am. Which only shows off my inadequacies in reality, but I have my head so far up my own I wont see daylight till I am old and tired.

Well....that kinda came out of nowhere lol