• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Annual #14 - Proof of Gambit's 1st published appearance within
3 3

620 posts in this topic

X-Men continuity is confusing enough without bringing CGC labels into it.

I can't name half the characters in any given X-book these days anyways. :blush:

If anyone's interested in reviewing the most recent thread that had most of the same proof shared on this topic, it's right here.

:whistle:

The 266 cover is so much better.

The 266 is fully Gambit

Annual 14 is continuity after 266 and his role is minimal.

Annual 14 is not part of the regular line

If I were a Gambit fan I'd rather get the 266 and call it a day, then worry about an Annual 14. It is similar to Hulk 180/181 but imagine if Wolverine first appeared in the Hulk 1974 annual instead of 180 talking to Canadian Government officials "after" the Wendigo fight in 8 or 9 panels.

I just don't see that having the same value as a Hulk 180 true first appearance or no.

If anyone's interested in reviewing the most recent thread that had most of the same proof shared on this topic, it's right here.

:whistle:

It's like the exact same people are posting the exact same thing in order to move the market in the direction they wish it and still not getting any traction.... :slapfight:

I dont think its that people knew. I dont think the majority had a clue and I kinda heard wispers / "knew" that some people said that Annual 14 was the 1st app but never saw it with evidence. I understand now after this thread myself that Annual 14 is the first App and 266 is nothing more then the 2nd App / Cover and most had it wrong including myself.

I was the same way, I had heard over the years of the Annual being an earlier cameo, but it wasn't until this thread with the scans, comic release dates, and copyright dates that I realized how many panels he really did appear in and how much earlier the Annual actually hit the stands. In my opinion, he is in more than enough panels to constitute a full appearance. For my money, I will gladly buy 2-3 9.8 copies of the Annual over buying one 9.8 #266 for the same price. I don't care about continuity, I care about what comic actually hit the public first with a full appearance of Gambit, and it's been proven beyond doubt to be the Annual.

I couldn't care less about the market, especially since I loathe Gambit and think the whole X-franchise is borderline idiotic at this point.

But Annual #14 is the character's first appearance.

Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of good reasons why #266 is in higher demand, commands more money, and is more sought after by fans. All of that is fine. And I don't see this ever changing.

But a few people seem to be trying to use market popularity to justify rewriting history. I find some of the arguments here in favor of calling #266 his first appearance to be downright bizarre. It's not.

I dont care at all about the market and not sure people are trying to drive it but no body alone can do that anyhow , I for one am glad to be able to get the First App of Gambit for cheap and hope it stays that way (I collect 1st app's) and probably will sell my 266 since its a second app but valued as a 1st app . . Do I think this will change the market for 266' , No I dont , I think 266 will still be the Gambit book for collectors. but for me who want the 1st App the book is Annual 14. I mean it is factually his first app. Thats all I am saying. I also think Hulk 180 is Wolverines and ASM 299 is Venoms so its all personal and a matter of perspective I guess.

And, I believe the label should be notated as such:

Annual #14- 1st full app. of Gambit. Predates #266 by 3 weeks but story take place afterwards in continuity.

UXM #266- 2nd app. of Gambit.1st full cover app. Predates Annual #14 in story continuity.

Does this sound about right??

I think you are on track !

Well then, all of these points are being made for people that don't read the books ! Even on-line sites list the annual as the first appearance.Gambit Info

Also if the x-men #266 is in continuity ahead of the X-men annual #14 It would be a situation Like Batman Adventures #12 and Batmen:Harley Quinn NN The labels should be similar to them !

X-men Annual #14 : 1st appearance of Gambit in comics (future continuity)

X-men #266 : 1st appearance of Gambit in Marvel continuity

:applause:

No.

I'm telling you, the market is not gonna budge on this one.

You all are valiant in your efforts, however. Making me tired, and I'm sitting on the sidelines, haha.

#266 will always be the king dog Gambit issue to own.

I really don't care what the market thinks. I'm not out to profit on anything Gambit,the truth is the Annual is still his 1st appearance whether you like it or not.

You all are valiant in your efforts, however. Making me tired, and I'm sitting on the sidelines, haha.

I really don't care what the market thinks. I'm not out to profit on anything Gambit,the truth is the Annual is still his 1st appearance whether you like it or not.

I like the way you think Dave. (thumbs u

I like the way you think Dave. (thumbs u

:cloud9:

I agree it is not what the market thinks in some respects, but like you mentioned earlier, this should be corrected for future / new collectors. I own both books because I am a UXM completist and will never sell my books, so not bothered what book goes up or down. The issue is making sure that its clear for future /new collectors.

Edited by Waylander

X-men annual 14 is first cameo appearance and 266 is first appearance.

Different story if Gambit would be like Hi, I am Gambit in annual 14 but no just standing in the crowd and mumbling something like ay biiiatch and as X-men collector I was always going to buy both of course cos I also wanted all the annuals but I just dont feel that annual 14 is 1 appearance.

I dont have hulk 180 or 181 but i would be satisfied just owning 180 cause in the last page Wolverine introduces himself.

Batman 357 is better comic to debate which I havent read but I understand that Killer Croc dont show his face, dont say who he is and still it seems 357 is important and not 358.

Ps.I just checked when ASM252 came out and it is definitely 1 app of blacksuit. Secret wars 8 is like the origin story..

Edited by godzilla43

X-men annual 14 is first cameo appearance and 266 is first appearance.

Different story if Gambit would be like Hi, I am Gambit in annual 14 but no just standing in the crowd and mumbling something like ay biiiatch and as X-men collector I was always going to buy both of course cos I also wanted all the annuals but I just dont feel that annual 14 is 1 appearance.

I dont have hulk 180 or 181 but i would be satisfied just owning 180 cause in the last page Wolverine introduces himself.

Batman 357 is better comic to debate which I havent read but I understand that Killer Croc dont show his face, dont say who he is and still it seems 357 is important and not 358.

Ps.I just checked when ASM252 came out and it is definitely 1 app of blacksuit. Secret wars 8 is like the origin story..

Gambit don't has to introduce self to make first appearance. Gambit has just to appear. First. Even if you doesn't feel it.