• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Surfer covers?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

No where near as good as the Jusko one but the FF 72 inspired me to paint a Silver Surfer a few years ago. I remember buying my first FF 72 back in 1981 because of the cover. I got rid of it during college in 1986. Being nostalgic, I bought a FF 72 a few years ago just so I could own it again. Naturally, it's my pick.

The painting is still downstairs in the studio but it might see the light of day someday. lol thanks for letting me share.

005-3.jpg

I have always loved that painting. (worship)

All the old classics have been posted. Let me add to this thread with a little more recent Silver Surfer books:

Silver Surfer, Fireside trade paperback, Earl Norem cover. Don't know where my copy is so I'll borrow this scan from the Inter-Webs:

SS1978_Fireside_zps9986a3d9.jpg

Marvel Premiere #51 CGC 9.8. John Buscema art. Just got this back from CGC a week ago. :)

MarvelFanfare1982-051-CGC98U-0243405010_zps329ede35.jpg

... And I couldn't resist picking up these books on the cheap a few years ago. All Jon J Muth covers! :cloud9:

silversurfer3_140_zps587d4553.gif

silversurfer3_141_zps1c877acb.gif

silversurfer3_142_zps9a15ea87.gif

silversurfer3_143_zpseb366b9b.gif

silversurfer3_144_zps709b071b.gif

I always like the Moebius art for that 2-issue LS he & Stan Lee did a ways back. The cover for #1 was pretty cool.

*EDIT* Here's some pics I found of #s 1 & 2, as well as one piece I just like from the series:

silver-surfer-moebius.jpg

SilverSurfer2.jpg

moebius-surfer.jpg

-slym

Edited by slym2none

anyone know why the SS #4 was such a low print run?

the prices for it are almost as high as a #1

And where would one find the "official" run number too?

I've always heard that it's a "rumor" that SS#4 had a low print run, but never found any official print run numbers.

anyone know why the SS #4 was such a low print run?

the prices for it are almost as high as a #1

And where would one find the "official" run number too?

I've always heard that it's a "rumor" that SS#4 had a low print run, but never found any official print run numbers.

yes-- it seems odd that this issue would have such a low print run for several reasons--

1) Marvel promoted the hell out of Silver Surfer

2) Thor is on this cover which should make you expect a huge crossover draw

3) so early in the run -- how could they see this issue not needing more? perhaps #2 or #3 sold very poorly?

Perhaps we can look at CGC census numbers to give us some sort of proof towards the low print run claim.

All I know is that I wish I had a copy.

Silver Surfer #4 - Vs. Thor classic!

673381.jpg

Anyone else have a favorite?

My favorite surfer cover by far.

Agreed!! This book is a runaway #1 as far as I'm concerned...I have a low grade copy but it presents very nicely and has wonderful centering

16326830110_152fd54f7c_b.jpg

Silver Surfer #4 - Vs. Thor classic!

673381.jpg

Anyone else have a favorite?

My favorite surfer cover by far.

Agreed!! This book is a runaway #1 as far as I'm concerned...I have a low grade copy but it presents very nicely and has wonderful centering

16326830110_152fd54f7c_b.jpg

Oh that guitar! :luhv::applause: (thumbs u

I have to go with FF 72. I honestly dont see why SS4 is as popular as it is. It seems all its value is in the cover art. Im not that fond of heroes fighting heroes, though back in the silver age its more fresh and enjoyable then modern things like civil war. By no means do I think the art is bad or that it isnt an iconic image of the silver age, but I just dont think a heroes iconic cover should be a depiction of them being tricked to fight a fellow hero.

Edited by Vexsus