• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Silver Surfer covers?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

Silver Surfer 4 is my favorite cover of all time, so...

Me too, but Buscema knocked nearly all of them out of the park in that series.

#1, #3, #11, #12, #13 are terrific as well.

I'm partial to #11 (Gene!) because I was always torn by his love for Shalla-Bal.

O, Bitter Victory!

+1

I'm kind of a sucker for those black covers, so a lot of Surfers are my faves.

I looked through some Lim covers - not a lot of faves. I love Lim's work on Surfer, and he's got some dynamic, expressive covers - but nothing I'd call 'classics'.

My Top Three:

1) SS#4

2) FF#50

3) SS#1

I like the John Byrne one-shot too, the one Joe Satriani ripped a panel off of for his album cover - very cool. [Mental Note: Still gotta get myself a copy of Satriani's album]

And also an honorable mention to SSv3#34:

500px-Silver_Surfer_Vol_3_34.jpg

I remember back in 1967 that cover of FF #72 really jumped out at me from the spinner rack. I just had to have it. Still one of my all time favorites. (It's not only just the art and composition that makes these early favorites so good, but the awesome choice of colors!)

SS4 is the best cover. Ever. The cover is so dynamic and the power that is inferred makes it a magnificent piece of art. Two full figures in such dramatic poses on one comic board - I have had about a dozen recreation/homages done just to see how other artists handle that challenge.

So after I complete my Byrne X-Men run, I plan to move onto some more Silver Surfer. While I have most of the Silver Surfer keys…I'm also trying to grab the cool covers he has been in.

Here's what I got so far:

Fantastic Four #49 - The first one he's on!

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_49.jpg

Fantastic Four #50 - The second one!

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_50.jpg

Fantastic Four #55 - Awesome vs. Thing cover

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_55.jpg

Tales to Astonish #93 - The first cover outside of Fantastic Four

Tales_to_Astonish_Vol_1_93.jpg

Fantastic Four #57 - With Dr. Doom

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_57.jpg

Fantastic Four #72

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_72.jpg

Fantastic Four #74

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_74.jpg

Fantastic Four #75

Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_75.jpg

Silver Surfer #1 - First own title!

Silver_Surfer_Vol_1_1.jpg

Silver Surfer #4 - Vs. Thor classic!

673381.jpg

Anyone else have a favorite?

That SS#4 is one of my all time favorite covers. Would love to get a 9.4 copy one of these days.

No where near as good as the Jusko one but the FF 72 inspired me to paint a Silver Surfer a few years ago. I remember buying my first FF 72 back in 1981 because of the cover. I got rid of it during college in 1986. Being nostalgic, I bought a FF 72 a few years ago just so I could own it again. Naturally, it's my pick.

The painting is still downstairs in the studio but it might see the light of day someday. lol thanks for letting me share.

005-3.jpg

#4, always, forever, the end.

;)

The best SS cover ever.

But...the only thing that keeps #50 from the top spot is that dumb Johnny Storm box. Otherwise...#50.

:D

Ya'know, I think it was in the Liefeld threads that you drove me crazy after a few days and I put you on ignore briefly. I started toggling and seeing nothing driving me crazy so I un-ignored.

This post has assured me of the wisdom of the second decision and the haste and misjudgment of the first.

My apologies kind sir. I erred. Your taste in comics is impeccable.