• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL THINGS COMICS OR TRIM JOB CENTRAL?
1 1

196 posts in this topic

This guy is at it again (all_things_comics).   Be on the look out for a trimmed/restored FF #52 cgc graded at 4.0.  I just sold it last week and didn't know who this guy was until he didn't pay me for 5 days and I started digging into the name/seller.  I'm sure we'll see a FF #52 for sale raw with a much better grade and no mention of it being restored.  

4 hours ago, Chlear27 said:

This guy is at it again (all_things_comics).   Be on the look out for a trimmed/restored FF #52 cgc graded at 4.0.  I just sold it last week and didn't know who this guy was until he didn't pay me for 5 days and I started digging into the name/seller.  I'm sure we'll see a FF #52 for sale raw with a much better grade and no mention of it being restored.  

At it again? When did they ever stop? From the days of BijouBaby, and other e bay IDs that had to be abandoned, these people have been three-edged deep-trimming low-grade key books bought from other e bay accounts, some of them appear to have over an inch of book missing. The color-touch is more like a sloppy paint job and they cobble crumbled spines together with glue. That's their spine reinforcement. Glue. Thousands of key, unrestored books, over the past 10 years, transformed into heavily, amateurishly restored cannon fodder. If anyone can figure out how to trim a spine, they'll be the ones to do it, I have every confidence in their finding a way!  :facepalm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-52-Vol-1-Very-Nice-High-Grade-1st-Appearance-of-Black-Panther/401398938279?hash=item5d753dbaa7:g:06IAAOSwNiNZr5Fk

What they should do is offer an option for the buyer to purchase the rest of the book for a percentage of the "winner's" winning bid (actually, the losing bid, as far as I'm concerned, in most of the cases of their sales). Store the 1/4" strips of cover and pages that they trimmed off of the top and the 1/2" strips of cover and pages that they deep-trimmed off of the right edge in another comic bag so if the buyer wants the rest of it, that option is theirs. For a fee, they could also include the glue and marking pen, to further shore up the spine and have an artistically adept individual straighten out that wavy and irregular spine line.

FF52atc.jpg

Another near perfect, super high grade gem, with over an inch of cover and book MIA. That's about 10% of the book trimmed off. The mismatched, splotch-green paint job adds to its near perfection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-100-Vol-1-Super-High-Grade-Black-Panther-Appearance/253454539139?hash=item3b03115983:g:ewkAAOSwoDValNeA 

And no, there's nothing wrong with your monitor. And the scan isn't severely cropped. The book is.

Like the typical All-Things-Trimmed inventory, the spine resembles a coastline. :roflmao:

Cap100.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

6 hours ago, manetteska said:

Is that a recent development?

Some listed as unrestored get through that don't have the resto disclosed, though your guess is as good as mine as to whether it's accidental and due to restoration detection dysfunctionality or intentional, by design. So many of their books are deep-cut that I assume all of them are chop meat unless it's stated otherwise, the resto details typically buried 4 lines into their description section spiel, in an effort to conceal the begrudgingly disclosed facts. 

Edited by James J Johnson

I started a thread awhile back about how I sold them a SUPER rare Golden Age book Hangman Comics #8 which was known to them and listed as INCOMPLETE. It then showed up in a Blue Label PGX slab as a complete copy. There was an entire story missing from the book. Still a cool item but even incomplete but this was blatant tomfoolery and I called them out via ebay message and on the boards. The listing got pulled and I haven’t seen the book since. Just a horrid experience. I am almost certain from what I have seen they recycle the same keys over and over with shill bidders until some poor chap wins it at the price they are looking for. They threaten that we are slandering their names but the evidence speaks for itself. I’m no lawyer but I would have to imagine some of their activity at least in the past would be considered criminal.