• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL THINGS COMICS OR TRIM JOB CENTRAL?
1 1

196 posts in this topic

I'm down to one trimmed book in my collection these days...my ASM 1 with top and right edge trimmed (9.0). But the overall rest of the book is so nice and the color strike so awesome, I'm fine with it. And it's the only sensible way for me to own a 9.0 copy in my set that I am willing to afford.

Therein lies the problem, it's not a 9.0, never will be. I mean you no offense, and I'm glad you're happy, but this dealer is appealing to a very real and present need by collectors to pay as little as possible for a big number on the label. The fact that this seller deserves eternal punishment by having his extremities trimmed with a paper cutter is complicated by the fact that we as a whole are enabling him to profit from this.

I'm down to one trimmed book in my collection these days...my ASM 1 with top and right edge trimmed (9.0). But the overall rest of the book is so nice and the color strike so awesome, I'm fine with it. And it's the only sensible way for me to own a 9.0 copy in my set that I am willing to afford.

Therein lies the problem, it's not a 9.0, never will be. I mean you no offense, and I'm glad you're happy, but this dealer is appealing to a very real and present need by collectors to pay as little as possible for a big number on the label. The fact that this seller deserves eternal punishment by having his extremities trimmed with a paper cutter is complicated by the fact that we as a whole are enabling him to profit from this.

Well...this thread is intended to keep at least anyone who reads it from not being a part of the "we as a whole..." :taptaptap:

As far as I'm concerned, trimming is mutilation. I will never willingly own a trimmed book and any grade assigned to a trimmed book is a false grade. I mean, how can removing any part of a book by this method not detract from its grade and by the same token, it's absolutely insane for trimming to improve a book's grade? I thought the purpose of grading was to establish how much a book's condition has changed versus how it was originally manufactured and sold! If a book has been trimmed, then that original state has been significantly changed.

Just to address the "we as a whole" thing, I don't buy trimmed books and don't at all encourage what this guy's doing, but I'm trying to be polite and not make anyone feel like I'm pointing fingers.

As far as I'm concerned, trimming is mutilation. I will never willingly own a trimmed book and any grade assigned to a trimmed book is a false grade. I mean, how can removing any part of a book by this method not detract from its grade and by the same token, it's absolutely insane for trimming to improve a book's grade? I thought the purpose of grading was to establish how much a book's condition has changed versus how it was originally manufactured and sold! If a book has been trimmed, then that original state has been significantly changed.

Amen. (thumbs u

i really have to wonder how bad the edges were if the book looks like a 9.0 after a trim. it seems some of these trim jobs might be taking perfectly nice 7.5s and hacking at them. terrible!

Seriously...these guys put forth so many trim jobs I have to imagine they have their own trim-lab. Of course, they've been at it for years... :censored:

Wonder what the grade was pre-trimming...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-Vol-1-Original-1963-CBCS-9-4-Like-CGC-Signed-Stan-Lee-Super-High-Grade-/251817419976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa17ce4c8'>http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-Vol-1-Original-1963-CBCS-9-4-Like-CGC-Signed-Stan-Lee-Super-High-Grade-/251817419976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa17ce4c8

the trimming and the damage done [to paraphrase one neil young]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-Vol-1-Original-1963-CBCS-9-4-Like-CGC-Signed-Stan-Lee-Super-High-Grade-/251817419976

at least it wasn't over 5K :applause:

I just noticed these guys have sold 6 different AF#15s in the last 90 days on ebay, all raw with resto and trimming. They've all sold for less than what an unrestored 3.0 would, so I imagine they all had work done already, as the quality of color touch appears to vary widely, but they all look to have the edges shaved in the same fashion to give them a "sharp" appearance, and probably additional color touch and seals as well, so that creasing is not that immediately evident after a press ( at least in a photo) .

That's half of all restored copies for under 10K sold on ebay - and at least one of the other half of the books was one they purchased to doctor further, going from an untrimmed but heavily and poorly restored CGC 1.5 with married pages, to a three side trimmed and further color touched "mid grade". It does look like after ebay and paypal fees they will only net about $150 -$250 in profit.

At the rate they are going there won't be too many low grade restored copies without trimming available for much longer.

This whole thread is a big yawner. Look at the feedback this guy gets and the very satisfied customers. Frankly this is all that matters. Who cares if the books are trimmed or has some colour touch. I can understand your personal preference to not buy them but to go off and say this is defiling a book is ludicrous. It's a comic for goodness sake not the Bible etc. You can keep it pristine, cut out panels for a scrapbook hang the centre page up on the wall even trim the edges. It's all good. It's your book. And if people are willing to pay big bucks knowing the perceived faults who are we really to judge. Even if those faults are done to improve appearance. There is no deception here as far as I can see.

Too many folks on this forum like getting on way too high a horse for their own good.

Just relax.

Cheers, Howard

This whole thread is a big yawner. Look at the feedback this guy gets and the very satisfied customers. Frankly this is all that matters. Who cares if the books are trimmed or has some colour touch. I can understand your personal preference to not buy them but to go off and say this is defiling a book is ludicrous. It's a comic for goodness sake not the Bible etc. You can keep it pristine, cut out panels for a scrapbook hang the centre page up on the wall even trim the edges. It's all good. It's your book. And if people are willing to pay big bucks knowing the perceived faults who are we really to judge. Even if those faults are done to improve appearance. There is no deception here as far as I can see.

Too many folks on this forum like getting on way too high a horse for their own good.

Just relax.

Cheers, Howard

Howard, these guys buy knowingly restored books, crack them out and then fraudulently list them as unrestored. And the wall of evidence is huge.

Take if from a fellow Canuck, they ain't innocent.

Just relax.

Cheers, Howard

Didn't know Narbeh had shills located north of the border...wow, they're network is broadening... :o