• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL THINGS COMICS OR TRIM JOB CENTRAL?
1 1

196 posts in this topic

I am biased for CGC, they are the single main reason I started collecting comics again after a 35 hiatus, in between I collected graded sportcards and have always collected graded coins,..CGC may not be perfect but I respect them, warts and all and am prepared to defend them,.. alone if necessary Friday thread or not. , against any and all who would side with either of the other two brand echh grading companies.

ANYONE who has a problem and is calling me out for my bias in defending CGC on this chatboard regardless if the circumstances needs to start spending more of their time on other comic chatboards or facebook where any anti-CGC viewpoints might be more appreciated.

During that 35 year hiatus color was invented, so everything is no longer black/white.

It's perfectly possible to both like, support and use both CGC and the new company. It's you who are creating "sides" and this after you were clearly shown your assumption regarding CGC and trimmed books was wrong.

It takes a big man to admit he messed up, clearly you are not that man.

I think CGC is great , I have no dog in the hunt for them I just really like them, I don't like brand ecchh, I could not imagine calling someone/anyone out who was biased FOR CGC on their own website wrongly or not, anymore than I can imagine someone going on a the Ford motor sponsored website and bashing someone who was criticizing Honda

I believe you're being called out for being ignorant, not for taking sides or being biased. (thumbs u

It's not about picking sides. It's about presenting correct information, which wasn't the case.

It doesn't matter whose site we're on. Wrong is wrong. And 1950 was wrong.

And just because we are on "their" site doesn't mean we have to always cheerlead. CGC has benefitted from these boards. I've been on them from nearly the inception on them and some of the "haters" have brought to light some extremely important events/situations. Stuff that really could've ruined CGC's integrity.

If all they allowed here were sycophants and lapdogs, Jason Ewert might still be "King High Grade".

I think we ALL really like CGC as evidenced by our presence here. But criticizing their rivals for using the same standards that that they themselves admit to is hypocritical and generally eye-roll-worthy. There's a lot of reasons to prefer CGC over the rivals but this isn't one of them.

way to hijack the thread, 50s. if i thought you were doing it on purpose, i'd have given you a gold star for trolling. as it stands, it will merely serve as a template for future use

Grading companies shouldn't be handing out 9.4s to trimmed books, regardless of the label color. The book hasn't been restored, it's been doctored. They should treat all trimmed edges as if the missing edge had been chipped, torn, stained or otherwise damaged, so depending on the size of the trim, 7.0 would probably be about as good as it gets, and for a book like that X-Men #1 where it looks like at least an 1/8th of an inch was taken off all sides, a 5.0 at best. The GL is now an apparent 2.0.

I think you have made a very good distinction. if that much cover was just ripped off the cover it would be a major defect. this CT is so bad it is no better than a 3 year old getting the comic with a marker.

Correct AND the new brand X grading company revealed their lack of integrity with that X-men 9.4 (we now know they are comparable to that 3rd other brand X grading company that slabs their own books)

thank god for CGC !!

What a ridiculous statement.

doesn't cgc do the same thing with trimmed books?

i 'd like to know how that othercompany confirmed stan's signature from 1994 though

GL 76 was removed :applause:

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

"On Feb-12-15 at 00:23:01 PST, seller added the following information:

Hi everyone, I've been getting a lot of e-mails regarding the trimming on this book and the color touch. The color touch is located mostly along the spine and far edges of the front cover and all three edges of the book have been trimmed. Thanks as always."

Hi everyone, I've been getting a lot of e-mails regarding the trimming on this book and the color touch. The color touch is located mostly along the spine and far edges of the front cover and all three edges of the book have been trimmed. Thanks as always."

:headbang::headbang::applause:

:applause:

One down, many to go.

Wow. :facepalm: The Pages look like they extend past the bottom of the cover. Did he trim just the cover of the book and not the pages ?

Nope, the whole book is indeed hacked. Click on the interior page shots -- Petey himself narrowly avoids getting nicked on page 5.

:applause:

One down, many to go.

Oh it'll be back some day...just shuffled back to the bottom of the deck for now... :preach:

One might be able to work the margins with some of these books, trimming a restored 2.0 and calling it a restored mid-grade, etc., but I don't see it as a very viable business model. Looking at the guys feedback, he sells a lot of books he claims as unrestored, so he's probably not chopping the hell out of everything.

I don't see how he makes money on that GL. if he really want to profit from sleazy business practices he should just keep the hard to judge pictures and give inflated grades.

My guess is that he pulled the GL #76 auction only because it wasn't hitting the numbers he was hoping for.

Check out the hack work on this ASM #3... :facepalm:

This kind of stuff is an atrocity to the hobby.

It's like those people who get radical plastic surgery to get a naturally-aged modestly-attractive face turned into some "sharp and tight" monstrosity that everyone can see is just a hatchet-job.

Almost reminds me of that Q-Project insufficiently_thoughtful_person.