• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars - Action Figure Cover Variants

15 posts in this topic

I wanted to pass this word along to others that might be collecting the action figure covers for Star Wars.

I had the privilege of meeting and talking with John Tyler Christopher the artist for these covers at the Indianapolis Wizard World show today. He is a native to Indiana.

He is the nicest, most humble guy you could meet. He absolutely loves Star Wars and was thrilled to find out people had interest in his covers.

For perspective, he was just in a small vendor booth at the show. No "line management", big signs, or anything. He was just sitting in a small booth on the vendor floor displaying his artwork. I was the only person that stopped to talk with the guy for the 5-10 minutes I was there. It was crazy, it was like no one had told him or the attending audience his action figure covers are perhaps the coolest set out there (at least IMO!). In the end, it gave us time to share some Star Wars stories.

I was going to collect these covers anyway, however, after meeting him, I hope everyone else does as well. It is great to see such a nice person achieve success. Frankly, I wish more people at the show would have taken the time to tell him they appreciated his work.

As a side note, he gladly signed all three of my covers and refused to take any money when offered / pressed. He even waited to have someone from the CGC booth come by and witness once I realized no one else was around and I could take the extra step to verify and have them slabbed with almost no effort.

So, I ended up with three CGC verified signature covers (Luke, Han, Darth).

I will be really proud of these when they return from CGC! Another little piece of personal history for my kids one day - the day I met this really nice, local artist who did these covers.

To me, that is priceless stuff when it comes to collecting.

So far yes. I don't know how many action figure variants are coming down the pipe though. I've talked to some people who seem to think they'll have these variants for the first 10 or so issues.

So far yes. I don't know how many action figure variants are coming down the pipe though. I've talked to some people who seem to think they'll have these variants for the first 10 or so issues.

+1

My LCS seems to think the franchise might do the original 10-12 figures as variant covers.

I rarely say this but damn those covers would look good in a slab.

What conversation piece!

But at $25/each (my LCS), I am passing.

+1

My LCS seems to think the franchise might do the original 10-12 figures as variant covers.

What conversation piece!

:o Cover price at mine.

+1

What conversation piece!

:o Cover price at mine.

Mine too!