• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

I saw it last night.  Disappointed overall however there were moments where I thought it was pure genius  (maybe 20 minutes total throughout the movie)  Seems to me that what I didn't like was marvel's influence and Watts (the director) had a real cool kid movie approach that would have worked better (for me) throughout the entire flick (much like what they did with Deadpool for adults)  Holland is great.  Keaton aint bad.  Tomei and Downey Jr over act and Downey is starting to finally look long in the tooth--too old to play the part that he owns.  They have some great easter eggs and omage (sp?)  to the early and late comics throughout but I still think they haven't gotten it right .  They 've come along way since Nicholas Hammond in 1977 but aren't there yet IMO.  That said Im going to go back (and give them more money)  to give it another shot--Ive changed my mind before

Saw it last night as well -- super fun summer movie overall, with Tom Holland's eager earnestness the key.

The best of it --

Holland, hands down -- I cared about his action scenes because I cared about the character and wanted him to succeed

Keaton's Vulture -- menacing, tough, but has relatable motives

Ned Leeds -- funny and spot on as the sidekick nerd

Growing relationship between Stark as wannabe mentor and Parker as a rising star in the "Universe"

Minor cameos -- all fun, lifting the joyful tone of the film

The worst of it --

Opening scenes were clunky

Spotty CGI with Spider-Man

No memorable action set-pieces, but plenty of cool smaller moments

Agree that Tomei over-acted

Zendaya underused, but want to see where they take her character

Overall, 8.5/10 and a great time at the movies.

Dan

5 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Saw it last night as well -- super fun summer movie overall, with Tom Holland's eager earnestness the key.

The best of it --

Holland, hands down -- I cared about his action scenes because I cared about the character and wanted him to succeed

Keaton's Vulture -- menacing, tough, but has relatable motives

Ned Leeds -- funny and spot on as the sidekick nerd

Growing relationship between Stark as wannabe mentor and Parker as a rising star in the "Universe"

Minor cameos -- all fun, lifting the joyful tone of the film

The worst of it --

Opening scenes were clunky

Spotty CGI with Spider-Man

No memorable action set-pieces, but plenty of cool smaller moments

Agree that Tomei over-acted

Zendaya underused, but want to see where they take her character

Overall, 8.5/10 and a great time at the movies.

Dan

I also thought the opening scene was clunky and the CGI with Spidey reminded me of the SPider man movie from 2002.  you'd think 15 years later it wouldn't be so noticeable.  enjoyed Holland,  Zendaya,  and Ned Leeds as well. 

Saw it and I honestly think that they would be hard pressed to do a  better job with this movie, was great. Any complaints were minor. Like, Marvel's attempt to recast [at every single opportunity] traditional characters with minorities. At the end of the day I don't care and for the most part the characters are great but they seem to go out of their way to do this for whatever reason. The Stan Lee clip was brilliant. 

I really enjoyed the film. It was fun and fit the new Marvel mold really well. I'm excited to see Spidey in the cinematic sand box and this really set it up really well.

Having said that, I felt like the movie lacked depth. We never heard Uncle Ben's name or anything about responsibility. That felt off to me. 

21 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

I think I'm in the minority here. But I was pretty disappointed.

Great cast. Weak story. Not much emotion or drama. Too much Iron Man gadgetry.

I can't think of one really standout moment.

I agree. Marvel made Spidey looked like a lost puppy without Tony Stark's technology. 

The movie was fun but this was made for my 14-yr old. 

I do believe the school tribulation parts would've resonated more had I watched as a kid or teen.  That said, I'm glad the movie didn't bludgeon Peter and reduce him to tears with the crushing weight of responsibility as we saw happen in the Garfield flicks.  Holland starts and wraps up with his innocence intact, no small feat.

A big part of Spidey's appeal to youth is accessibility -- getting them to feel they can walk right into the role. I think the movie aced this. Although the suit gadgetry was excessive, it again probably was better suited to the pipsqueaks. lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

1) Will it satisfy all adult movie-goers, esp. those looking for more mature themes?  Of course not.

2) Does it absolutely hook the next gen of littler Spidey fans while packing enough charm for the old guard?   Totally.

Aunt May FTW hahahahaha... the more hot MILFdom in cinema the better, I say.  We've got the comics for the senior citizen versions.  Here's looking at you Ms. Grundy !

Edited by exitmusicblue

Saw it last night, and I liked it!

What they did with the Vulture was what Raimi was able to achieve with Doc Ock in sharing a background that forced his hand, leading to the villain we experience today. So audiences could relate to the situation somewhat. But at least with Spider-Man 2, Doc Ock's motivation was driven by a horrible life event that drove him mad. With the Vulture, it became about greed and power. Which makes me still favor Spider-Man 2 over Homecoming. But it was cool to see a Spider-Man as part of a much larger Marvel Universe.

The mid-credit scene made me feel like someone had found their way again (or was saving any action for himself - but I like seeing the positive in the situation). The post-credit scene was funny.

8.0/10.0 for me.

I saw it opening night with some friends and I must say it was fantastic!

Finally there is another Spider-man movie worth watching. I equate the fun level with watching Iron Man 1, just a great overall experience!

My only critique is that the supporting cast felt a United Colors of Benetton ad (I honestly felt that every nationality was represented), but honestly I didn't think that interrupted the story, it was just an odd take.

i.o.w.'s if they want to go the total PC route for these movies I don't care as long as the movie is well written and well acted in which it was.

Oh yeah I loved the homage to ASM 33!!!

:headbang:

53 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

Finally there is another Spider-man movie worth watching. I equate the fun level with watching Iron Man 1, just a great overall experience!

My only critique is that the supporting cast felt a United Colors of Benetton ad (I honestly felt that every nationality was represented), but honestly I didn't think that interrupted the story, it was just an odd take.

i.o.w.'s if they want to go the total PC route for these movies I don't care as long as the movie is well written and well acted in which it was.

I thought it more closely represented who might live in Queens in this day and age?

58 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

That was cool ...