• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:
2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

It doesn't crack my top five superhero films, but it might hover around five just considering Marvel films.  The best superhero films are, in order, Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, Logan, and X-Men: First Class.  Homecoming probably fits somewhere from 6 to 10, although given more time to think about it I could see it passing First Class, not sure yet.  It's not passing into that top four though.

spidey 2, dk and the avengers sit tied atop the medal stand for me--because of my life-long love for the character, spidey 2 is probably first among equals.

I think I agree that Avengers is better than Homecoming.  I've got full Spidey runs of multiple titles--Spectacular Spider-Man as a kid because it was affordable, Amazing Spider-Man as an adult because I could afford it by then--and have always liked him better than any DC character, Batman included, so I was fairly surprised I ended up liking the Nolan films so much.  But they're just SO freaking good that the quality overcame ALL of my character or Marvel VS DC biases.

10 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

spidey 2, dk and the avengers sit tied atop the medal stand for me--because of my life-long love for the character, spidey 2 is probably first among equals.

Those are my Top 3.  

I think the Avengers is probably my #1.   When I first saw it, it really was like watching the Silver Age come to life. 

The one thing I have learned most from this thread is that I need to watch Spidey 2 again.  I've never ever thought it was better than the first Spidey movie, but it's thrown around here as being in the top 3 of all time.  It's been a number of years, need to watch the entire first trilogy again and see if I missed something.

Jim

3 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

The one thing I have learned most from this thread is that I need to watch Spidey 2 again.  I've never ever thought it was better than the first Spidey movie, but it's thrown around here as being in the top 3 of all time.  It's been a number of years, need to watch the entire first trilogy again and see if I missed something.

Jim

I think overall it was the best of the Spidey movies.  

The first half of the first one was the best "act" in any of the Spidey movies.   I think they missed the mark with the Goblin though (the power ranger look wasn't the best choice, IMO.  Especially considering how "goblinesque" Dafoe already looks.   Some make up and a little bit of prosthetics would've been fantastic). 

3 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

When you sort superhero films out by average critic reviews on MetaCritic, MRQE, or the Rotten Tomatoes "Average Rating" score, it also sorts high towards the top of all superhero films.  You will rarely see ANY superhero film get over 80% on any of those scales, but Spider-Man 2 is one that did.  It's just all-around exceptional top to bottom.

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

The first half of the first one was the best "act" in any of the Spidey movies.   I think they missed the mark with the Goblin though (the power ranger look wasn't the best choice, IMO.  Especially considering how "goblinesque" Dafoe already looks.   Some make up and a little bit of prosthetics would've been fantastic). 

Yea, as soon as that movie flips over to Spidey versus Goblin around the point you're referring to it significantly slides in quality.  Such a horrible suit.  The first half origin was told as well as I can imagine it ever being told; they really did NOT need to re-tell that in the first Garfield movie.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, as soon as that movie flips over to Spidey versus Goblin around the point you're referring to it significantly slides in quality.  Such a horrible suit.  The first half origin was told as well as I can imagine it ever being told; they really did NOT need to re-tell that in the first Garfield movie.

Agreed that the Goblin suit is not the greatest...but the chemistry between Dafoe and Tobey translated to the near perfect climax of a superhero movie.  The only one that rivals it in my opinion is Cap/WS vs Tony in Civil War.

Jim

For those who have this movie in their top 5, I am not sure what was so special about it. It was an okay movie and if not for Keaton it would have been subpar.

i really can't recall a moment where I felt "that's Spider-Man!"

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

yep, I still love to watch Spidey take on Bone saw in the ring. You can see Toby smile through the "Human Spider" mask when Bruce Campbell declares him the winner!

:headbang:

38 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:
1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

yep, I still love to watch Spidey take on Bone saw in the ring. You can see Toby smile through the "Human Spider" mask when Bruce Campbell declares him the winner!

Just an awesome scene.  :headbang:

The end of my repeat viewings of that film comes right where they show a quick sequence of various New Yorkers expressing their opinions of Spider-Man, including one guy who goes "He stinks, and I don't like him!" and a punk rock girl (surprisingly played by Lucy Lawless and shown below) who says "Guy with eight hands--sounds hot."  That marks the end of the origin sequence and the end of my favorite part of the film.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

What the Avengers do is the equivalent to what national armies do, but what Spider-Man does is more what cops do.  I'm generally intrigued with the idea of meta-humans as cops; wouldn't it be easier for Peter to find crime to fight if he had a central dispatcher deploying him to do it?  The Sekovia Accords seem to be an international framework for global threats, so when you've got a local crime-fighter, do they even bother with such matters?  The United Nations has no idea what's happening locally in Queens, so I'm not sure why the international body enforcing the Sekovia Accords would.  The UN concerns itself with crime or injustice on a broad scale, not an individual one.

Locally, the cops go after Spider-Man when they see him.  Even Stan depicted law enforcement doing that back in the 60s.  Is there reason to think the Sekovia Accords guys would care about local events in the Marvel Universe any more than the United Nations does about local crime?

You're right.  The stuff Peter was doing was beneath the attention of the Avengers.  Tony outright says that, saying it's "beneath my pay grade" or something to that effect when Peter asks him why he wasn't around. 

And you're right, the UN wouldn't care about local crime.  The same is true about whoever runs the Sekovia Accords.  They don't care about local crimes...but things change if they find out an enhanced vigilante is taking the law into his own hands.  Holding enhanced people accountable is the main purpose of the Accords.  If Spidey signed, they wouldn't say "patrol the streets".  They would say "don't get involved, leave it to the police".  But they wouldn't turn a blind eye.  If they heard about Spidey's exploits, they'd send someone(s) to bring him in.  Why wouldn't they?  It's the whole purpose of the Accords. 

Also, I've seen Spider-man 1 a dozen times and never knew that was Lucy Lawless.  :idea:

2 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

Agreed that the Goblin suit is not the greatest...but the chemistry between Dafoe and Tobey translated to the near perfect climax of a superhero movie.  The only one that rivals it in my opinion is Cap/WS vs Tony in Civil War.

Jim

Totally agree on the Willem Dafoe/Tobey Maguire chemistry. If only they had gone with that test mask - this would have been THE greatest superhero movie to me.

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Totally agree on the Willem Dafoe/Tobey Maguire chemistry. If only they had gone with that test mask - this would have been THE greatest superhero movie to me.

I agree, that looks fantastic but the negative is it can't be removed quickly to transition from Goblin to Osborne.

I still wish they had gone that route in the movie, it just looks "creepy" as all get go.

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I agree, that looks fantastic but the negative is it can't be removed quickly to transition from Goblin to Osborne.

I still wish they had gone that route in the movie, it just looks "creepy" as all get go.

The Goblin mask looks great.  I too wish they could have used that.  What would be a plausible in-universe explanation for it?

8 minutes ago, Turtle said:

The Goblin mask looks great.  I too wish they could have used that.  What would be a plausible in-universe explanation for it?

Osborne could have made it to terrify others and wears it to do so.

Well I liked the movie versions of GG and Doc Ock, I thought Keaton's Vulture was fantastic,not Ledger Joker awesome, but great nonetheless.

6 hours ago, Turtle said:

If I remember correctly, it was Dafoe himself that nixed the goblin mask. He said he wouldn't play the part if that is what he had to wear... too corney or something like that. Because of this they redesigned it to be more "high tech" which I think looked even more ridiculous. 

Edited by Jaylam