• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

FORBES.COM Box Office: 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Nets Superior $117M Weekend

Sony got a much-needed win this weekend, as Spider-Man: Homecoming earned $117M on its domestic debut weekend. That’s, not adjusted for inflation, Sony’s second-biggest debut weekend ever, right between Spider-Man ($114M in 2002) and Spider-Man 3 ($151M in 2007). And it's still in third place even adjusted for inflation, although the 2D [The Da Vinci Code]'s $77M debut in 2006 would be around $107M today.

That’s an okay 2.31x weekend multiplier, on the lower end of MCU debuts but with larger overall numbers than anything outside of the last five May summer kick-off movies.

Even though we don’t yet know if Spider-Man: Homecoming will make substantially more than The Amazing Spider-Man, Sony is in a healthier position both in terms of budget (this one only cost $175M) and fans and audiences wanting a sequel. Even as one of the few critics who didn’t like the movie, the characters are great, the world is an enjoyable one and I assume Peter will become a more competent superhero between now and Phase Four.

Also, no spoilers, but the film ends with the best comic book sequel tease since Jim Gordon handed Batman that blood-soaked playing card at the end of Batman Begins. Yes, this was a Marvel production, complete with a much-publicized Robert Downey Jr./Iron Man extended cameo, with Sony funding and distributing the picture and getting the much-needed financial victory. But to quote Batman & Robin, sometimes counting on someone else is the only way you win.

Edited by Bosco685

Although it didn't break the newly forecasted $120M-$125M domestic target, there is no debating Homecoming has started off very strong.

:applause:

m42tZ0a.jpg

Yl5sF3N.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

14 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I am sure I will enjoy this film that I haven't see yet.  My problem is I am usually dying to see any Spider-man film since growing up Batman & Spider-Man were my favorite superheros because they have the best rogue gallery.  However, I must admit I am not really excited to see this movie.  As a kid growing up in the late 90's my Spider-man was a serious art rendered 30+ something year old Spider-man by the best artist in my opinion to ever draw in comics Todd "your  garbage art blows compared to him" McFarlane.

amazing-spider-man-316-cover-121152.jpg

I am that early born millennial who is caught in between 60/70's Spider-man (Tobey Maguire) and the Ultimate Spider-man (Tom Holland) which this movie audience is clearly geared towards.  I get it, Spider-man was truly supposed to be in the beginning a superhero with acne. haha

AF 15's are just becoming more and more important/expensive because of this movie so again I am happy most people enjoyed it.  I just know my personality and the kiddie stuff in this movie will annoy me.  That is one of the big reasons I am excited for the R-rated Venom movie.  I feel finally I get to at least to see one of my favorite villians of all time in a serious/mature manner and played by one of my favorite actors Tom Hardy.  Comic books to me have always been very serious because the first comics I  read.....Spider-man: (1990) Torment, Batman: The Killing Joke, and Batman: Death in the Family were so serious and adult in nature as I kid that is why I started to love comics books.  Slapstick stuff bores me to death.

Seeing McFarlane art when I was little was my first experience reading Spider-man. I just cant go back to anything else other than an adult Peter Parker.

7b07771f557a3e6af247eef3ce5067f0.jpg

Again I am sure I will enjoy Spider-Man: Homecoming, but I feel the Tom Hardy VENOM movie is more in line with my Spider-man universe expectations.

Sorry for the non-review of this movie and reading my thoughts....

I agree with much of this. I started reading Spider-Man when he was already going to college, I also enjoyed reading Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man and the characters/storylines that would appear there. While I did enjoy very much Ultimate Spider-man, and felt the last Spider-Man movies finally touched on the Gwen Stacy character, this movie doesn't seem to be that exiting for me. Especially with all the (VOMIT) Tony Stark references. That being said, my wife just said we are going to the 2pm showing and will have my thoughts on the movie later today.

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I agree with much of this. I started reading Spider-Man when he was already going to college, I also enjoyed reading Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man and the characters/storylines that would appear there. While I did enjoy very much Ultimate Spider-man, and felt the last Spider-Man movies finally touched on the Gwen Stacy character, this movie doesn't seem to be that exiting for me. Especially with all the (VOMIT) Tony Stark references. That being said, my wife just said we are going to the 2pm showing and will have my thoughts on the movie later today.

I thought this as well. The movie was so much better than I thought possible.

Fun movie, lighthearted but also had some good suspense and twists.  As many said, I thought Keaton was great, I really liked how the Vulture suit moved and attacked in various ways like a real bird of prey.  I didn't notice the PC'ness others were sensitive to.  Seemed like NYC to me.   Iron Man/Stark stuff did drag a little at times.  I don't see how a boat cut in half could ever be saved...  but besides that I thought it could be in the top 10 super hero movies since Iron Man.  Maybe just me, but my theater had it's volume cranked which took me out of it a few times.

Spider-Man: Homecoming Writers On How The SPOILER Fits In The MCU

Fans know the Sinister Six hasn't had the best on-screen luck. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 tried to set up the villainous gang a few years back, but nothing ever came of the tease. Spider-Man: Homecoming is the newest film to nod towards the rough-and-tough gang. And, now, the film’s writers are talking about how the nefarious squad settles into the MCU.

During a chat with The Hollywood Reporter, screenwriters Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley opened up about their Spider-Man gig. The pair touched on some of the film’s most important scenes, and they expanded on...

Spoiler

...the post-credits blip that referenced the Sinister Six. Rather than introduce the entire swath of baddies, the writers said Spider-Man: Homecoming didn’t have room for a Sinister Six showdown since Peter Parker is just starting his vigilante career.

“It's all for the intention to make this movie exist in a much more grounded, and in some ways, a low-stakes world, where it's not about world domination, or these abstract things. It's just a guy with a beef who's trying to provide for his family,” Goldstein explained, nodding to the Vulture’s motivations. “We also felt this is a starter version of Spider-Man. If you put him up against Doc Octopus or someone like that, he's going to get his kicked.”

Daley chimed in to explain how the threat of the Sinister Six may draw the attention of the Avengers. “That's the other thing,” the writer said. “We have to acknowledge the existence of the Avengers in this world, so if the threat became world-threatening, you would obviously bring in the big guys to handle it.”

Edited by Bosco685

ok just got back. I felt a bit empty after seeing the film. It's a good entertaining movie but I didn't see enough Spider-man for my taste. The amount of action was very short and most of the movie felt like I was watching a teenage kid coming of age type of movie. Nothing wrong with that and it's entertaining, the performances are solid. Holland is good as Peter, Ned was very funny and Keaton is a great villain but it seemed like there was a lot of action missing from the movie.  I give it 2.5/4 stars.

some stuff in spoilers for those who have seen it

biggest eyeroll

Spoiler

that in this "universe" Peter hears Tony's words of wisdom instead of Ben. I'm sorry but as a Spider-man fan, the core of him is what happened to Uncle Ben. I understand the need to fit him in to the MCU but not using this instead of "great power comes..."

I can live with it

Spoiler

MJ.  I'll never get my version of Mary Jane but its a nice surprise and I'm curious to see what happens next with this character and Peter

The ending

Spoiler

was a great surprise. I liked it and I want to see how he explains it to Aunt May. I also liked how the whole how hot she is was a running joke . Nice touch.

31 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

some stuff in spoilers for those who have seen it

biggest eyeroll

Reveal hidden contents

that in this "universe" Peter hears Tony's words of wisdom instead of Ben. I'm sorry but as a Spider-man fan, the core of him is what happened to Uncle Ben. I understand the need to fit him in to the MCU but not using this instead of "great power comes..."

I can live with it

Reveal hidden contents

MJ.  I'll never get my version of Mary Jane but its a nice surprise and I'm curious to see what happens next with this character and Peter

The ending

Reveal hidden contents

was a great surprise. I liked it and I want to see how he explains it to Aunt May. I also liked how the whole how hot she is was a running joke . Nice touch.

I think...

Spoiler

Obviously Peter and May suffered some sort of trauma, like the death of Uncle Ben, which is why he puts on the suit in the first place to fight crime...While I don't want them to keep rehashing the origin, it needs to be said at some point.

I think with Tony it is a "secondary" father figure/mentor but Tony is also someone he wants to impress and I mean, what kid with super powers wouldn't want to be an Avenger? An outsider to "fit in" with arguably  the "coolest" (in the eye of a teenager) group on the planet?  Perhaps on the next solo outings there will be less Iron Man and Iron Man tech and more Spidey being Spidey.  

Also, I loved the end bit with May finding out. GOLD.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

ok just got back. I felt a bit empty after seeing the film. It's a good entertaining movie but I didn't see enough Spider-man for my taste. The amount of action was very short and most of the movie felt like I was watching a teenage kid coming of age type of movie. Nothing wrong with that and it's entertaining, the performances are solid. Holland is good as Peter, Ned was very funny and Keaton is a great villain but it seemed like there was a lot of action missing from the movie.  I give it 2.5/4 stars.

I'd give it a bit better star rating because of how fun it was to watch, but I agree on your points about it lacking Spidey. It really made it feel like a huge part of the character was missing. 

I will say that my 5 year old loved it though. He's been Spider-Man obsessed for two days now too. Nothing else had really worked and he's been an Iron Man fan for a couple years now. 

19 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

I'm super curious about them introducing Gargan, will he temporarily wear the Venom suit in the new Venom movie?

What does the Scorpion (Max Gargan) have to do with Venom?

Loved the film.  :headbang:

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

He was the second major person to wear the Venom symbiote after Eddie Brock.

Edited by Meeklo

Less Spidey than you would expect, but a great film none the less. It felt more realistic with Spidey learning the ropes rather than just being a Superhero right from the start like the 2 previous incarnations.

Spoiler

Man is he a klutz though. I thought Hulk left a lot of damage in his wake. It was hilarious how almost every attempt at him being a Superhero ended up in some major catastrophe.

I think this is my favorite Spidey. Can't wait to see his development throughout the next 2 Avengers films. I expect we'll see a much more mature Spidey as he brings in phase 4 of the MCU in 2019.

Why the movie ended the way it did. I wonder if this is going to lead into...

Spoiler

...Super-Spy Aunt May.

Spider-Man: Homecoming Writers Reveal Why Discovers Peter’s Secret

During an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, screenwriters John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein expanded on several of Spider-Man’s biggest scenes. The pair turned their focus to the final scene where...

Spoiler

Aunt May walks in on Peter Parker donning his newly returned Spider-Man suit. As the writers explain, Peter needed to have May discover his secret so that she can truly become a part of his new life.

When asked how Spider-Man's story moves forward now that May knows about her nephew, Goldstein said, “It just sort of diminishes what is often the most trivial part of superhero worlds, which is finding your secret. It takes the emphasis off that, lets her become part of what's really his life, so it's not cloak-and-dagger stuff.”

“It's how does he best use these powers to help the world, help himself and his family and act responsibly,” the screenwriter continued. “What's funny is, when we first went in to Marvel, we said we were imagining that Aunt May would be a Marisa Tomei type, and they kind of exchanged a look, because they were already secretly in negotiations with her. So things worked out well; we were all on the same page.”

Edited by Bosco685

6 hours ago, Meeklo said:
9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

He was the second major person to wear the Venom symbiote after Eddie Brock.

Ah, missed that.  How long did that pairing last?

What most impressed me was similar to what impressed me about Spider-Man 2--they took a villain whose concept seems rather dumb and somehow tweaked it to seem cool as hell.  I thought their job with the Vulture was even harder than with a guy wearing radiation-handling arms, but they really pulled it off.  And tying it to the scavenged Chitauri weaponry gave them a plausible explanation for regular humans having the insane technology that went into Vulture, Shocker, and probably Scorpion.