• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walt Simonson artwork and other artists who don't sell their work

65 posts in this topic

Many moons ago I asked Walt why he didn't sell his art, and I swear he said he was saving it for his children. Nicest guy you ever met in person.

That would be my guess for his reasoning. I met him at Jeff Jones' wake a few years back. He's an incredibly nice person.

Seconded re: Walt and Louise being the loveliest folks you could ever want to meet. About a year ago I lucked into finding Walt's original (penciled and inked) cover to Eternals #2 from the 80s at a comic shop that got it with a collection of comics they bought. Knowing Walt didn't sell his art, and seeing that there was no separate inker on this, I contacted the Simonsons, intending to give it back if it had been stolen. (I paid very little for it.) They said that many years ago, Walt had donated some art to be sold at charity auctions (which he no longer does with published art, now creating brand new art for this purpose) and they recalled this being one of them. They told me to enjoy it in good health.

I too have heard that Walt plans to donate the art to his alma mater and would love to be able to see it all at a museum or something.

Best,

CNG

Everything I've heard about Walt and his wife have always been stellar. Actually most of the artists I have met, thankfully, have been pretty cool. That would be wild to see all that original work donated to his Alma Mater. Good lord the amount of work that would be. Either way it would be great to see some of the other pages he has outside of the AE book. Speaking of donating it, I believe Jeff Smith recently donated all of his run of Bone to his college as well in Ohio. I will have to make a trek someday if they let anyone check it out, since that is another one I can cross off the list of ever having an original from. Part of me is kind of thankful some artists don't sell since I don't have to worry about paying crazy money for having a piece of their work.

Sergio Aragones has kept most of his art.

Jerry Ordway generally keeps art where he drew the cover and interiors. That's why it's almost impossible to find his 87 Superman out in the market.

I remember reading Marvel: The Untold Story and seeing the anecdote from the Shooter years about Walt wanting to fight Jim in the office, and having to be restrained from doing so.

I've always wondered what would take someone like Walt -- who by every account and personal interaction I've had is as affable and easy-going as could be -- to want to throw some 'bows with another person.

Jerry Ordway generally keeps art where he drew the cover and interiors. That's why it's almost impossible to find his 87 Superman out in the market.

Wow another artist that makes a lot of sense, Ordway. You never see his stuff. Good info in this thread.

Walt's inkers on X-Factor do sell their portion of art from the series. So there is some Simonson art out there for sale

Well then that makes me wonder does Tom Palmer have any of his work that he sells or did Walt get all of his Star Wars run? I see that the Ron Frenz/Tom Palmer work has found homes so one wonders if Tom got some from Walt?

I know that some of Walt Simonson's recent (around 2012) work on THE AVENGERS (Volume 4) which was inked by Scott Hanna are in the marketplace, so it's one of the few ways you can get a published rendering of THOR by SIMONSON in his style similar to the Thor #337 era, as opposed to the earlier run he had on Thor.

Walt's inkers on X-Factor do sell their portion of art from the series. So there is some Simonson art out there for sale

Well then that makes me wonder does Tom Palmer have any of his work that he sells or did Walt get all of his Star Wars run? I see that the Ron Frenz/Tom Palmer work has found homes so one wonders if Tom got some from Walt?

I know that some of Walt Simonson's recent (around 2012) work on THE AVENGERS (Volume 4) which was inked by Scott Hanna are in the marketplace, so it's one of the few ways you can get a published rendering of THOR by SIMONSON in his style similar to the Thor #337 era, as opposed to the earlier run he had on Thor.

Kinda. These were inked off blue lines I believe. Anthony Snyder has some I think.

Kinda. These were inked off blue lines I believe. Anthony Snyder has some I think.

I know some were off of blueline pencils, others have been straight off pencils from what I was told and read.

Here's a link to some of the pages for sale (and some sold)

http://www.anthonysnyder.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=659&Details=0

I got a page from Issue #27 which was supposed to be inks over pencils, so all original.

Anthony's good as having full disclosure and details on his merchandise to the best of his knowledge and ability, I know he's a straight shooter who's always been honest and forthright in my interactions.

Here's his "NOTES" from some of the art:

NOTE: (for Avengers #29)

Walt Simonson blue lines on Marvel Boards

Scott Hannah PUBLISHED ink art only, signed by both

NOTE: (for Avengers #27)

This is NOT lightboxed or blue lines, it is Pencil AND Ink art by both Walt & Scott.

I know some were off of blueline pencils, others have been straight off pencils from what I was told and read.

Here's a link to some of the pages for sale (and some sold)

http://www.anthonysnyder.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=659&Details=0

I got a page from Issue #27 which was supposed to be inks over pencils, so all original.

Anthony's good as having full disclosure and details on his merchandise to the best of his knowledge and ability, I know he's a straight shooter who's always been honest and forthright in my interactions.

Here's his "NOTES" from some of the art:

NOTE: (for Avengers #29)

Walt Simonson blue lines on Marvel Boards

Scott Hannah PUBLISHED ink art only, signed by both

NOTE: (for Avengers #27)

This is NOT lightboxed or blue lines, it is Pencil AND Ink art by both Walt & Scott.

Thanks, good toknow. Now can I go back in time a week and retrade with Anthony!

And yes, Anthony Snyder is not one to withhold information, unlike certain other dealers.

Wow another artist that makes a lot of sense, Ordway. You never see his stuff. Good info in this thread.

He does sell covers here and there to issues where he did not draw the interiors on. I have three of his covers from his Man of Steel collected editions:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=892291

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1112290

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1112289

The first issue of Superman TPB is also out in CAF. Also a recent variant cover he did for Superman Unchained. So I do assume he still has complete books in his disposal. But I have seen some covers from his Superman run pop up every so often. Maybe he sells if he needs the money or if he doesn't feel a personal connection to it (such as not having all the interiors since half are with the inker). He said he keeps his art to which he has a personal connection to, and interiors from his Superman run never pop-up. I did see a couple of covers in Cartoon Museum Exhibit in SF a couple of years ago which clearly shows a dedication which he gave to his editor Mike Carlin.

Speaking of that exhibit, there was also a Superman splash pencilled and inked by Walt Simonson that was there and with a dedication to Mike Carlin which means Simonson gifted it to Carlin too.

I'd love to see the frenzy if he ever released some of the Thor stuff into the marketplace.

My memory is a little fuzzy here but I believe Walt privately sold off 5 Thor covers a little over 10 years ago. Someone correct me but I think they were all 10k each, and were Walts choice? No key covers sold though.

Scott

I've heard Terry Austin still has much of his share of what he's worked on. All that Byrne, Marshall Rogers, etc. must be worth a fortune!

I completely forgot about Terry Austin. Oh man the treasure trove of work he must have. If he ever sells and I know that is a big IF that will definitely break some banks.

I've gone through it all, including the stuff he's collected himself.. It's gotta be the greatest artwork collection out there. So many key pages or key storylines. Amazing amazing stuff. My hands were shaking holding some of the pages & covers simply because of what they were.

I just picked this up. Super psyched. I got this for a great deal. Wondering what something like this would typically go for as there really isn't much to base it on.

image_3.jpeg

That's a 'Stat Cover' isn't it? I see a shadow along the bottom edge; so the Original Art is not present, the art you see is a photocopy pasted on an Art Board for reproduction.

This was part of The Process for some covers back then; it has some value as probably being the 'Final Cover' but certainly not as much as if it included the original art. I'll let others speculate as to dollars.

Andrew

I just picked this up. Super psyched. I got this for a great deal. Wondering what something like this would typically go for as there really isn't much to base it on.

image_3.jpeg

If that is original art, that is quite a find, congrats.

Malvin

image_3.jpeg

That's a 'Stat Cover' isn't it? I see a shadow along the bottom edge; so the Original Art is not present, the art you see is a photocopy pasted on an Art Board for reproduction.

This was part of The Process for some covers back then; it has some value as probably being the 'Final Cover' but certainly not as much as if it included the original art. I'll let others speculate as to dollars.

Andrew

Ah that would be a bummer if so. It's my first so I'm kinda a newbie to this. Either way I paid peanuts in a collection with a few other things but I would def. be disappointed if this is the case. Thx for bringing it to my attention. I'll have to look into this a bit more.