• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A note from Stephanie Buscema via Facebook.

20 posts in this topic

I think we, as collectors should sometimes reexamine how we go after our collection. How far is too far? This is what Stephanie just wrote via Facebook.

Apologies in advance for the following, but I've been pushed around a lot lately and pretty much at my breaking point in dealing with this and certain folks.

Lately, I've been getting some rather aggressive, rude and pushy messages (here on Facebook often and in e-mails) in regards to the sale of my Grandfather's artwork. It's gotten to the point where I feel I need to say something. Firstly, please know that I have nothing but absolute respect and love for my Grandfather and the work he's left behind (and myself and my family are so happy to see people still appreciating the incredible body of work he's left us all!). If you know me, you know I don't speak about him openly, if ever publicly, or parade his name and artwork around.

I am not and have not, ever sold a piece of his art he's left me. I don't plan on it. Do not contact me in regards to this, especially in an aggressive and pushy manner. You will be blocked immediately. Please do not approach me at a convention asking to purchase my Grandfather's artwork, it's not for sale, ever. I'm not interested in offers. I would never ask someone to sell me the belongings of a deceased family member and I expect the same courtesy in dealing with the artwork my family has. It's upsetting to me that I even have to write this here, but I will not tolerate any , via internet or in person, and certainly won't be pushed around by anyone, ever. Thanks for listening.

I saw her note posted yesterday and shared it with some friends.

I've collected a fair bit of her work in the past and I'm an unabashed fan (she did a commission for me that turned into a gift that my partner -- who isn't even into comic art -- has as one of her favorite things on the planet.) Stephanie is easily one of my favorite people to talk with at conventions and I don't think I've ever heard a cross word about her.

Its stuff like this that, for me, is both completely surprising and not surprising. One the one hand, I'm floored that folks lack the tact and social skills (ie: manners) not to be jerks about this, particularly something that is clearly near and dear to Stephanie. On the other, I'm not surprised because comics can attract some folks who lack exactly what I referenced in the prior sentence.

Its incredibly insulting and disrespectful to Stephanie. If it were me, that note to people would have a lot more four letter words in it.

I think it's a well written note that will hopefully remind people to be a bit nicer when asking for or even selling art. Sometimes those "grail blinders" make us become something that we are truly not.

Yeah the problem I've had is I can become over enthusiastic a few times in my quests but I try to never be a pest to anyone. The difficulty is always the timing issue. I don't think people would bother if they knew 100% without a doubt that the work will never sell but if you just ask at the right time you can maybe luck out and secure the work. While I applaud Stephanie on getting the word out that this will never happen, that still won't stop the asking since not everyone visits her site or these forums to see what is occurring. I've worked numerous shows for a booth and even though we are in the digital age it still surprises me that people don't know what an artist looks like and I'm always asked if I'm the artist when I'm standing by their booth. Just like on the Walt Simonson post I started, I know he's not going to sell and that is fine and I'm not going to bother him until he changes his mind, but I'm sure he's asked every year when he goes to conventions if he wants to sell his work so hopefully he's flattered by it instead of annoyed since people want to have a piece of his creation. Always a line to be aware of in this hobby unlike any other I've seen.

anyone know what she has? Its it hundreds of pages/covers etc ???

Why does it matter? I agree that sometimes we as collectors overstep boundaries which should not even be approached.

Sometimes those "grail blinders" make us become something that we are truly not.

Oh, I don't know. I think it sometimes removes the false veneer some collectors like to project about themselves and shows their true face.

The people who have hounded her are despicable, but not exactly uncommon in this hobby.

At this point, people should just stop asking her.

She has consistently for years said she would "never, ever consider selling."

My understanding is that she plans to keep the art in the family in order to pass it on to successive generations and while it is unclear how much art it is, she once described "owning a lot."

She seems like a nice person who over the years likely has gotten inundated with inquiries.

People should stop asking her.

My 2c

So, she's John Buscema's granddaughter? I've never heard of her.

I'd be interested to hear what exactly constitutes "rather aggressive, rude and pushy messages." I don't see anything wrong with asking if she'd be willing to sell some of her grandfather's work. Especially if, like me, the asker doesn't know the story. Seems like a pretty natural question really. Once she says no, anything much beyond "Well, if you ever feel differently, keep me in mind" or whatever would start to be lame.

I'd be interested to hear what exactly constitutes "rather aggressive, rude and pushy messages." I don't see anything wrong with asking if she'd be willing to sell some of her grandfather's work. Especially if, like me, the asker doesn't know the story. Seems like a pretty natural question really. Once she says no, anything much beyond "Well, if you ever feel differently, keep me in mind" or whatever would start to be lame.

As a concept no, nothing wrong in asking if you didn't know. Once. But in practicality, based on what I heard a few years ago and based on this latest posting, certain people keep asking and asking, and clearly are not going away after she says no, and worse, they are apparently getting "rude" etc. I'm sure most of can think of examples when we have been annoyingly bugged about something--now instead of one person doing that, how about 10 or 20 or more etc.

I don't know the family tree, and even if pages are sold eventually by different family members in the future, it doesn't change the situation and her unwavering message for years--she is not selling.

*Edited for typos

Nothing wrong with asking politely. A few years ago, Stephanie reached out to me, through a friend, to purchase the Fantastic Four 122 cover. The FF 122 cover depicts the team battling Galactus, with the Cyclone Roller Coaster in the background. FF 122 was apparently her favorite cover because she had fond memories of her grandfather taking her to the Cyclone Roller Coaster on Coney Island.

We never struck a deal, because while her agent said purchase, he really meant trade. But they were polite, so I was never offended by the inquiry.

Granddaughter and got her interest in art from him. She got her start in part by inking some of his pages.

Her style is pretty iconic in its own right, and she does all sorts of illustration work these days.

I have spoken to Stephanie at a few shows and she is extremely polite, patient, and courteous and I would expect from what (little) I know about her that “rather aggressive, rude, and pushy” are well beyond the realm of normal and acceptable behavior. I would not expect the usual and common requests would garner a post like this. I would imagine that this response was probably warranted long ago.

I think we, as collectors should sometimes reexamine how we go after our collection. How far is too far? This is what Stephanie just wrote via Facebook.

Apologies in advance for the following, but I've been pushed around a lot lately and pretty much at my breaking point in dealing with this and certain folks.

Lately, I've been getting some rather aggressive, rude and pushy messages (here on Facebook often and in e-mails) in regards to the sale of my Grandfather's artwork. It's gotten to the point where I feel I need to say something. Firstly, please know that I have nothing but absolute respect and love for my Grandfather and the work he's left behind (and myself and my family are so happy to see people still appreciating the incredible body of work he's left us all!). If you know me, you know I don't speak about him openly, if ever publicly, or parade his name and artwork around.

I am not and have not, ever sold a piece of his art he's left me. I don't plan on it. Do not contact me in regards to this, especially in an aggressive and pushy manner. You will be blocked immediately. Please do not approach me at a convention asking to purchase my Grandfather's artwork, it's not for sale, ever. I'm not interested in offers. I would never ask someone to sell me the belongings of a deceased family member and I expect the same courtesy in dealing with the artwork my family has. It's upsetting to me that I even have to write this here, but I will not tolerate any , via internet or in person, and certainly won't be pushed around by anyone, ever. Thanks for listening.

It's hard to imagine anyone who is seriously trying to buy art from her (or anyone) expecting results by being intentionally rude or mean. That's just a general comment. Not a challenge to her statement. It just seems like a foolish approach.

I agree 100% if people are truly trying to bully her that's unacceptable if that's the case. I think it's very easy to misinterpret a written communication on social media, message board and such because of the lack of inflection in the written word. I have friends and family on facebook who are constantly offended by comments that aren't offensive. I've seen a decades old friendship ended on facebook over a misinterpretation. When yourself available to the public I imagine the opportunity to be offended unintentionally compounds exponentially.

To me it seems like there is some frustration about people who have been impacted positively by her grandfather's work using social media and appearances designed to promote her brand to express interest in John. If you or a family member has had an impact on the lives of others some of them are going to contact you about it, if you have a public platform.

I have a very famous relative and people who know have ridiculous questions, requests for their phone number/email, autographs and personal items. People I barely met or don't even know because friends think it's cool to tell people they know it spins out of control. They think their access to me somehow gives them a personal connection. People send private messages to social media accounts trying to use me as an in. You have to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

I have a very famous relative and people who know have ridiculous questions, requests for their phone number/email, autographs and personal items. People I barely met or don't even know because friends think it's cool to tell people they know it spins out of control. They think their access to me somehow gives them a personal connection. People send private messages to social media accounts trying to use me as an in. You have to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

I have the oppostie problem. The sister of a childhood friend married Darius Rucker. I try to get in touch with the normal guy by going through the famous guy, doesn't work either.

So if your famous relative is my friend's brother-in-law Darius, could you please pass along a message? :baiting:

I have the oppostie problem. The sister of a childhood friend married Darius Rucker. I try to get in touch with the normal guy by going through the famous guy, doesn't work either.

So if your famous relative is my friend's brother-in-law Darius, could you please pass along a message? :baiting:

I checked with Darius rucker when i stopped by carl jrs. today and he would totally do it but his brother-in-law doesn't return his phone calls.

BTW I realize how douchey part of my other post sounded (you know, to the normal people) :D ah, well. what can you do.