• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25 Cent Picture Frame Marvels

641 posts in this topic

Not sure if these have been posted before (and I apologize if they have), but here are 3 from my OO collection that sport new cover renditions and reprint Avengers 15-17. Their state of preservation is a reminder why these picture frame reprints are so scarce in high grade: being reprints and having interiors of inferior quality, we simply didn't give them the same care in reading or storage.

MTA5-1.jpg

MTA6.jpg

MTA7.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

Whether they've been posted before, I never get tired of seeing certain Pictureframes. I think the new covers on the MTA run from # 1-8 were some of the best of the Pictureframe era. As for grade, you can always post your crummy OO Pictureframe books here Bob. thumbsup2.gif

Not sure if these have been posted before (and I apologize if they have), but here are 3 from my OO collection that sport new cover renditions and reprint Avengers 15-17. Their state of preservation is a reminder why these picture frame reprints are so scarce in high grade: being reprints and having interiors of inferior quality, we simply didn't give them the same care in reading or storage.

MTA5-1.jpg

MTA6.jpg

MTA7.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

Whether they've been posted before, I never get tired of seeing certain Pictureframes. I think the new covers on the MTA run from # 1-8 were some of the best of the Pictureframe era. As for grade, you can always post your crummy OO Pictureframe books here Bob. thumbsup2.gif

While we are talking about MTA #5-7...

Do you all find that out of all the reprint titles, these three issues are easiest to find in HG? I've seen multiple HG copies of these three issues...but look for #3 or 4 and it's much tougher...

I caveat this by saying some of the Marvel Tales are relatively easy to find as well but not as frequently as these three issues...

Jim

Do you all find that out of all the reprint titles, these three issues are easiest to find in HG? I've seen multiple HG copies of these three issues...but look for #3 or 4 and it's much tougher...

# 3 and # 4 are certainly tougher (# 3 especially), and the later MTAs are around in HG if you look for them, but I don't know if they qualify as the "easiest".

# 3 and # 4 are certainly tougher (# 3 especially), and the later MTAs are around in HG if you look for them, but I don't know if they qualify as the "easiest".

Which of the reprint pic frame issues would you classify as the easiest? Personally, I see lots of Marvel Tales but not in HG. Same for Marvel's Greatest...

Jim

Which of the reprint pic frame issues would you classify as the easiest? Personally, I see lots of Marvel Tales but not in HG. Same for Marvel's Greatest...

Jim

I agree about the Marvel Tales, picked up some HG ones at a steal this weekend at NY Comic Con. Most of the issues were the squarebound and under # 25.

Jim

I agree about the Marvel Tales, picked up some HG ones at a steal this weekend at NY Comic Con. Most of the issues were the squarebound and under # 25.

I don't know if there is one title I would single out as "easiest" in HG. All have certain issues that are more common then others. Marvel Tales # 33 was a Mile High 2 book I believe, so its more plentiful, but most of the issues from # 34-40 are tough buggers in high grade.

In fact, several of the reprint Pictureframes were warehouse issues. Some of the X-Men issues come to mind, yet there are those (like # 76 # 79) that are VERY hard to find in true NM.

I think its a case by case, book by book type thing.

The only correlation that I would feel comfortable making would be:

90% of the Pictureframe Black covers = tough in high grade.

Last issues of the Pictureframe era = on average, tougher to find in NM.

25-cent Annuals that kicked off the Pictureframe era = assuming they aren't warehouse books, are pretty tough across the board in true NM, with square spines.

I don't know if there is one title I would single out as "easiest" in HG. All have certain issues that are more common then others. Marvel Tales # 33 was a Mile High 2 book I believe, so its more plentiful, but most of the issues from # 34-40 are tough buggers in high grade.

In fact, several of the reprint Pictureframes were warehouse issues. Some of the X-Men issues come to mind, yet there are those (like # 76 # 79) that are VERY hard to find in true NM.

25-cent Annuals that kicked off the Pictureframe era = assuming they aren't warehouse books, are pretty tough across the board in true NM, with square spines.

It's not titles I was talking about though...what reprint pic frame issues do you think are the easiest to find in HG. Personally, I think MTA #5-7 are by far the easiest...

Jim

It's not titles I was talking about though...what reprint pic frame issues do you think are the easiest to find in HG. Personally, I think MTA #5-7 are by far the easiest...

Jim

This hasn't been my experience. I've found some of the X-men issues (# 75, 77, 78) to be more commonplace in 9.0 or better. The census bares that out as those books are readily around in 9.0 or better. Of course, they book for $90 in 9.2, so that might also have something to do with it. tonofbricks.gif

The census also doesn't really support your observation, as # 5-7 in HG seem to have been submitted less often then issues # 2-4. In fact, # 6 apparently has never been submitted as it isn't on the census at all. One could make the case the early issues of MTA are tougher, if relying solely on the census.

The census also doesn't really support your observation, as # 5-7 in HG seem to have been submitted less often then issues # 2-4. In fact, # 6 apparently has never been submitted as it isn't on the census at all. One could make the case the early issues of MTA are tougher, if relying solely on the census.

That's one of the problems with relying on the Census for this type info. If the comic really isn't in demand in the marketplace, and the #5-7 MTA Avengers reprint run would be one example, the Census isn't going to be all that reliable for scarcity info.

Maybe I've just been lucky and have seen them more than the others... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

That's one of the problems with relying on the Census for this type info. If the comic really isn't in demand in the marketplace, and the #5-7 MTA Avengers reprint run would be one example, the Census isn't going to be all that reliable for scarcity info.

Maybe I've just been lucky and have seen them more than the others... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

I agree. The Census isn't the most reliable tool..especially for books with a Guide value of $7.

I have seen the later issues of MTA around in HG...though I don't find them as often as I did, say, 2-3 years ago.

Jim

Those were some beautiful books you showed me. I've thought about them a couple of times since you showed them to me. Definitely a steal. Man, I wish I had more time to shop this weekend.

rk17gx0.jpg

Hey Greggy--did those come from the guy set up two booths down from me in NY? I actually picked up two super nice picture frame Rawhide Kids from him. I was surprised at how nice they were when I finally got to take a closer look at home-definitely better than I remember.