• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25 Cent Picture Frame Marvels

641 posts in this topic

In reorganizing/rebagging my collection I realized I have a fair amount of these. So now I'm attempting to get a complete list together and collect all the picture frames, not just the 25 cent ones. This thread is a great help and using it along with ebay and the Standard Catolog of Comic Books, I think my spread sheet is comming along pretty well. As far as this thread goes, I think I'm still reading pg 20.

In reorganizing/rebagging my collection I realized I have a fair amount of these. So now I'm attempting to get a complete list together and collect all the picture frames, not just the 25 cent ones. This thread is a great help and using it along with ebay and the Standard Catolog of Comic Books, I think my spread sheet is comming along pretty well. As far as this thread goes, I think I'm still reading pg 20.

Welcome to the Thread!

I posted a somewhat incomplete version of the Pictureframe Master list early on in this thread (some 3-4 years ago); I hope that's been helpful. If I ever get a few hours where I have nothing to do, I will post an updated list.

Its been great funny hunting down these books the past few years. When I started in 2003, I honestly thought I'd be done by now putting together the 400 or so issues. Not even close. Barely at 150, though I tend to focus mostly on the westerns, teen, romance, humor, reprint, and other off-beat titles instead of the mainstay Superhero ones. I've passed on a lot of nice (but ultimately replaceable) Superhero books just to conserve resources for when the really tough oddball ones become available.

A lot has changed in those four years. What was a real tiny handful of collectors buying these books has grown to at least a dozen or so active Forumites, if not more. When I ask dealers at conventions if they have HG Pictureframe Marvels for sale, I don't get nearly as many blank looks as I used to. Some dealers, like BlazingBob, even note when books are "Pictureframes" directly on their website. And a few really notable sales in the last couple of years of books like ASM # 104 in 9.6, X-Men # 79 in 9.6, Our Love Story # 15 in 9.6 have also shown us that these books are legitimately tough (and desired) in the uber grades.

Even today, I think there are 30-40 genuinely scarce in very high grade books among the Pictureframes with Guide values nowhere near reality. Personally, I hope that doesn't change until I find all the copies I need.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Even today, I think there are 30-40 genuinely scarce in very high grade books among the Pictureframes with Guide values nowhere near reality. Personally, I hope that doesn't change until I find all the copies I need.

I agree and the vast bulk of these are non-superhero oriented. Lil Pals/Kids, Millie, Chili, Wyatt Earps, and the romance titles are tough...

But outside those titles, with the exception of X-Men #79, what superhero pic frame issues do you think are scarce in HG if any? My first thought would have been the reprint titles but I've seen more than a couple HG pic frame issues with MTA and Marvel Tales being the most plentiful...

My vote would be Marvel Super-Heroes #32...and as you can see my copy is far from HG...

msh32.jpg

Jim

Most of the ones I have are the Westerns and reprints with Kid Colt and Captain America being the only completed groups I have other than some of the short groups and singles like Defenders, Luke Cage, and Night Nurse. Now that my want list is pretty complete, it's time to hit the back issue stores. Fortunatly my collection is *more reader copies than high grade so I'm fine with finding lower grades.

*in some cases I take pride in having the most beat-up copy of an issue that anyone has ever seen.

-Lon

My vote would be Marvel Super-Heroes #32...and as you can see my copy is far from HG...

Certainly a tough one. There was a 9.4 copy that sold on Pedigree six months ago for $60 or so....I was so frustrated I didn't see it before someone else nabbed it. frustrated.gif

I've never seen a HG copy of the MMW--far and away one of my favorite BA cover--another unsung Kane masterpiece.

Yes, very tough book. I own the Don Rosa copy, the highest on the census at a paltry 9.2. tonofbricks.gif

And WE 30 is a BRUTAL book in NM, with the # 31 or slightly less so.