• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

:news:

Well, the mystery has been solved. I hung out with Kathryn Bollinger this past week, and bought some art. I showed her the book and she said she remembered it being a Bob Layton idea to have the golds be double covers with a gold on the outside/regular on the inside. Obviously it never gelled, but at least this one copy was produced. She said she couldn't remember if there was more than one, but she remembered it floating around the Valiant office for a while. (which also explains why the book isn't NM since it was handled by several people)

I'm excited to own it as it's a cool part of Valiant history. :)

FtJNUn.jpg

WbMNCo.jpg

Makes a lot of sense. My "impossible" detector was really ringing on this one but I could not imagine that was the answer. Thanks for sharing that info... if I ever get a chance to talk to Bob Layton at the Boston show again I will see if he remembers that stunt, too.

Fosho. I was planning on asking him too. Also, I think I'm going to post the art I picked up in this thread since idk how many people would care in the original art thread. I'll probably post on the Valiant boards too. Should have that up in a little while. Definitely got some cool stuff.

Makes a lot of sense. My "impossible" detector was really ringing on this one but I could not imagine that was the answer. Thanks for sharing that info... if I ever get a chance to talk to Bob Layton at the Boston show again I will see if he remembers that stunt, too.

:news:

Well, the mystery has been solved. I hung out with Kathryn Bollinger this past week, and bought some art. I showed her the book and she said she remembered it being a Bob Layton idea to have the golds be double covers with a gold on the outside/regular on the inside. Obviously it never gelled, but at least this one copy was produced. She said she couldn't remember if there was more than one, but she remembered it floating around the Valiant office for a while. (which also explains why the book isn't NM since it was handled by several people)

I'm excited to own it as it's a cool part of Valiant history. :)

FtJNUn.jpg

WbMNCo.jpg

I didn't think the book was a fake at all when I saw your original post earlier.

Anyway, that is a very interesting stor.Your book is as one of a kind as can be and is definitely a piece of Valiant history.

Cheers for sharing this story :applause:

Hanging out with Kyn is always awesome. She is such a cool chick, and getting to hear her stories about old school Valiant stuff was truly the highlight of my trip to New Orleans. I was beyond tired when I arrived, but drinking bourbon and swapping stories is a memory that I will cherish forever regardless of how loopy I was.

First, BOOM!

Double splash from Harbinger #0

1ZnQ8v.jpg

Cool splash with Dr. Silk, Spider-alien and X-O

qPlt13.jpg

Awesome X-O pages

V9eB6v.jpg

IuCP2i.jpg

YDepyg.jpg

iPZugp.jpg

I always thought this page was mega creepy with the creation of the new X-O armor..

QA1Igd.jpg

Oh, just a couple of splash pages from X-O...No big deal lol

TfJrOT.jpg

SX4oWO.jpg

This one is extra awesome. Kyn informed me that Jim Shooter actually penciled this page himself!

ynnD7X.jpg

These are cool. Ernie Colon prelim pages. Pay close attention to the dialogue on the 2nd one. I can't believe it didn't make it into print!

X8R3Bc.jpg

gEgVhX.jpg

Pre-unity Rai pages

zPMaeO.jpg

xSfCXd.jpg

9IFpV1.jpg

cVam4G.jpg

HR0AqS.jpg

rrqvr8.jpg

Switch it up with 3 X-O #0 unused Flats

aGy1Mg.jpg

Magnus beating Talpha

KDseIE.jpg

Rai and the Future Force #9 was such a huge deal for me. The Malev war in general was one of my favorite Valiant storylines.

Wc39fG.jpg

XbStRE.jpg

a56PMI.jpg

N6WOjf.jpg

2H36Ff.jpg

Now these next pages are probably my favorite. Apparently after drawing 8 pages of Rai #7 for the Unity crossover, Shooter changed the story and these pages were not used. Likely due to Rai being killed in the issue... I present to you for the first time, what would have been the first several pages of the Unity issue Rai died in...Rai #7:

F0kSIy.jpg

NA937w.jpg

o248Ea.jpg

khw9FO.jpg

OPEtAG.jpg

2VqwRa.jpg

ZDiiTl.jpg

fBiBjO.jpg

Opening splash and a few pages from Rai #8

e1pb9E.jpg

MJNzxk.jpg

8j7dkx.jpg

Xt6Sms.jpg

Couple of painted covers

77ZKk5.jpg

3O2FdL.jpg

And finally a Solar splash

xrkBx9.jpg

All in all, I'm a very happy camper with these additions to my Valiant art collection.

Would cgc grade the tpbs?

Yes. They graded my Summer of Valiant TPBs.

Yes, but as far as I know the DIAMOND Unity TPBs exceed the limits of their holders. Unless something has changed recently they are unable to grade them.