• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

Very interesting story on the Solar 10 Clink 9.8

I am the reason the CLink book just popped.

I got the full story as to what happened today.

I was out on Friday night with a few people. I have been chasing a Solar 10 in 9.8 for awhile and always miss out due to being an underbidder or for being absent from the auction.

I had set an alarm for when the bidding was about to finish. I think I set it for 10 minutes to go. I took to my phone and was bidding heavily on the book... almost as heavily as the drinks that people kept buying. I was into the book (without thinking) at a pretty high level as I was tired of losing and ended up being one of the underbidders even after throwing a "hail mary" bid in for it.

The girl I was with was kind of annoyed that I wasn't paying attention to her at this point and at some point grabbed my phone and decided I needed 'this'. I learned my lesson. lol Phone was turned off for awhile after that. A fellow boardie knows some of that as he facetimed me while the girl and I were on a line for someplace else a little later...

either way... that is how Solar 10 in a 9.8 popped on CLink... and how I ended up with a CGC autographed copy of Supergirl 1 for $110.

RAD6924B20151012_15054.jpg

Buzzetta, You know that Candletric is way cooler than the rest of us, right? I didn't realize it until a week or so ago, but man, he is really cool. He definitely knows a cool story when he sees one.

Cool story bro..........

:blahblah:

I know, that's why I posted it. Glad you thought so as well.

Buzzetta, You know that Candletric is way cooler than the rest of us, right? I didn't realize it until a week or so ago, but man, he is really cool. He definitely knows a cool story when he sees one.

Cool story bro..........

:blahblah:

I know, that's why I posted it. Glad you thought so as well.

I aspire to reach his level of greatness. It won't happen anytime soon, but eventually I will get there.

Can anyone figure out the census for Quantum & Woody? There are two listings for Acclaim, even though there was only one series. It does seem that the trades are in the mix, based on different dates for #1s, but they're not called out as trades.

The first appearance is Quantum & Woody #1 from 1997, but there were two cover versions, a regular art and a "painted art". Since it was from Acclaim (post-Valiant), and after the industry crashed, and since it was "such a weird book", there are few Valiant collectors who considered Quantum & Woody as part of the Valiant universe (or as a "must-have" for their Valiant collections), especially before 2013.

For almost 20 years, the value of Quantum & Woody #1 has been about $2 to $4 for the regular and about $3 to $5 for the painted. Neither of those values, plus the fact that the book was from Acclaim (but not "rare Acclaim"), has made Q&W "slab-worthy" when it comes to getting slabbed Valiant collections completed.

The CGC census has a few listings for Quantum & Woody #1 (June 1997) because they spelled it both ways "Quantum & Woody" and "Quantum and Woody" and there is the painted variant (they just call "Variant Cover"). In total, there are about 8 copies graded, and another two copies of the Retailer Review, which was a black and white preview of Q & W #1.

There are a few sellers who confuse Quantum & Woody #0 as a first issue, but #0 was about five months after #1.

The Q & W trade paperbacks (1998, etc.) had very low print runs, maybe 3,000 or less... so collectors have actually paid a little more for those ($10 to $40, depending on which trade) and it's not surprising that they may also be on the CGC census.

There are also signed versions of Q&W #0 and #1.

Quantum and Woody #0. Signed by MD Bright and Christopher Priest. Unnumbered. Wizard COA.

QuantumandWoody0signedbyChristopher.jpg

Quantum and Woody #1. Signed by MD Bright and Christopher Priest per COA but only Christopher Priest signed. Numbered 154 of 500. Dynamic Forces COA.

Quantum and Woody #1. Signed by Christopher Priest. Unnumbered. Dynamic Forces COA.

DFQuantumWoody500PriestandBright-1.jpg

DFQuantumWoody500PriestandBrightand.jpg

Can anyone figure out the census for Quantum & Woody? There are two listings for Acclaim, even though there was only one series. It does seem that the trades are in the mix, based on different dates for #1s, but they're not called out as trades.

The first appearance is Quantum & Woody #1 from 1997, but there were two cover versions, a regular art and a "painted art". Since it was from Acclaim (post-Valiant), and after the industry crashed, and since it was "such a weird book", there are few Valiant collectors who considered Quantum & Woody as part of the Valiant universe (or as a "must-have" for their Valiant collections), especially before 2013.

For almost 20 years, the value of Quantum & Woody #1 has been about $2 to $4 for the regular and about $3 to $5 for the painted. Neither of those values, plus the fact that the book was from Acclaim (but not "rare Acclaim"), has made Q&W "slab-worthy" when it comes to getting slabbed Valiant collections completed.

The CGC census has a few listings for Quantum & Woody #1 (June 1997) because they spelled it both ways "Quantum & Woody" and "Quantum and Woody" and there is the painted variant (they just call "Variant Cover"). In total, there are about 8 copies graded, and another two copies of the Retailer Review, which was a black and white preview of Q & W #1.

There are a few sellers who confuse Quantum & Woody #0 as a first issue, but #0 was about five months after #1.

The Q & W trade paperbacks (1998, etc.) had very low print runs, maybe 3,000 or less... so collectors have actually paid a little more for those ($10 to $40, depending on which trade) and it's not surprising that they may also be on the CGC census.

Yes, I have always been of the mindset that Quantum and Woody were outside the Valiant Universe so I never bothered to pick up their title in either incarnation.

There are also signed versions of Q&W #0 and #1.

Quantum and Woody #0. Signed by MD Bright and Christopher Priest. Unnumbered. Wizard COA.

QuantumandWoody0signedbyChristopher.jpg

Quantum and Woody #1. Signed by MD Bright and Christopher Priest per COA but only Christopher Priest signed. Numbered 154 of 500. Dynamic Forces COA.

Quantum and Woody #1. Signed by Christopher Priest. Unnumbered. Dynamic Forces COA.

DFQuantumWoody500PriestandBright-1.jpg

DFQuantumWoody500PriestandBrightand.jpg

Those are probably the best Quantum & Woody items from the Acclaim era... and maybe the fourth trade paperback since it's nearly impossible to locate.

Yeah -- I'm close to complete on the Acclaim run but never managed to find the 3rd or 4th Quantum & Woody trades.

It was a good series. Acclaim gets hate from the Valiant purists but they knocked it out of the park with Shadowman vol. 2 + 3, Bloodshot, and Q+W.

Thanks, Greg. I know what all of the different books are, and I figured that the #1 with the different date was probably the first trade. But that still left multiple entries for #1 from 6/97, one of which includes all three variants (regular cover, painted cover, and retailer review). I was wondering what the other entry was, but if it's a matter of CGC using the ampersand and "AND" to label the comics, that would explain it. BTW…

Neither of those values, plus the fact that the book was from Acclaim (but not "rare Acclaim"), has made Q&W "slab-worthy"…

Nonsense!

WbUaF0M.jpg

Neither of those values, plus the fact that the book was from Acclaim (but not "rare Acclaim"), has made Q&W "slab-worthy"…

Nonsense!

WbUaF0M.jpg

lol

OK, I'll adjust that statement...

"Neither of those values, plus the fact that the book was from Acclaim (but not "rare Acclaim"), has made Q&W "slab-worthy" prior to 2009". :grin:

ok, so, sell in lots by title or by single issue? taking pics tonight.

Which books?

Generally speaking, the titles with one or two key issues get bids based on those issues, with the rest of the books "free" (in the bidder's mind).

On the other hand, titles missing a few issues (especially if they're missing the keys) might get a few cents per book anyway.

hm

I'm still looking for a nice copy of that book.

Good luck to you and your search.

As I sated, last one I saw that was High Grade was on eBay, and had a low auction starting price with a BIN. I missed it, it went unsold, was not relisted and I thought I would never see one again.

This was at my LCS, and I was looking for Deathstroke in that box, but I'll take it!

Stumbled upon a gold label Ninjak 1 in a 50 cent box the other day... happy to have found that!

That gold is pretty cool, in addition to being a wraparound chromium cover, it's got a holo-rainbow effect thing going.

The gold ones are rarely in the 50 cent boxes, but if it doesn't have a cover price... it's the real deal.