• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

I FINALLY found a Valiant double cover. I've found double covers over the years, but never a Valiant one.

It's weird. It's a Magnus #21 gold with a regular inner cover.

FtJNUn.jpg

WbMNCo.jpg

Anyone else ever found one? This might be a 1/1....Especially since it has the gold on the outside/regular on the inside.

I was just flipping through the 2013 FCBD book. Those that consider previews to be first appearances should probably hunt this down, because it contains the preview of the first appearance of:

• Morris Kozol (head of PRS)

• Generation Zero

• The Torment

• The Faraway

• the VEI versions of Quantum & Woody

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

I FINALLY found a Valiant double cover. I've found double covers over the years, but never a Valiant one.

FtJNUn.jpg

WbMNCo.jpg

Anyone else ever found one? This might be a 1/1....Especially since it has the gold on the outside/regular on the inside.

:takeit:

I was just flipping through the 2013 FCBD book. Those that consider previews to be first appearances should probably hunt this down, because it contains the preview of the first appearance of:

• Morris Kozol (head of PRS)

• Generation Zero

• The Torment

• The Faraway

• the VEI versions of Quantum & Woody

I would add that I was once in possession of 1/10 of the print run of one of the variants, but Valiantman would put that to shame.

I have never come across a Valiant VH1 double cover.

Knowing a little bit about how comics are printed, your copy of Magnus 21 with two different covers makes little sense. I almost want to think it was fabricated. Not sure why anyone would bother though. The chances of it happening for real that way are beyond small.

Of course I have made a career in computer science cleaning up after other engineers who do their work saying "oh that could never happen". So I know better.

It's not fabricated. I've had loads of double covers over the years. I even worked at a printing company for a couple of years if that means anything. Maybe the dye wasn't set properly for some of the covers. Maybe that sheet got in with ones that were stamped correctly, and then the cover also got doubled down. Weird things happen. Everything lines up perfectly. Only 2 staples, no extra holes or tearing , or bend in the staple, no evidence of any tampering etc. It's legit. I've seen some weird comic mishaps over the years. One time I had a book that had two separate cover images printed on the same cover. The books weren't even from the same comic company. (obviously printers print books for multiple companies) Wasn't there a DC book with a Hulk cover printed in the middle of it somehow? That's even more bizarre than this one. My point being that while it is odd, and seems unlikely, it obviously happened because I've got the book right here.

Also, as an aside, I've searched for a Valiant double cover of anything for a long time. I can't tell you how many hundreds of long boxes I've searched through of Valiant commons hoping to find one. This one was in a stack of 12 golds/VVSS books I picked up over the weekend. After finding this you better believe I went through the rest of the stack hoping one of the VVSS with the stamp could be a double. Obviously none of them were, but man that would have been awesome.

FtJNUn.jpg

WbMNCo.jpg

Slab it!

If I'm keeping it i'd rather not because I'm going to show it off to some people. It's not going to get a 9.4+ anyway since it has some creases that aren't going to press out. A buddy of mine thinks it was made by Valiant as a sample on purpose to see if they should just make all the gold variants the same way with the gold cover on top of the regular cover (which might explain the wear). The other 11 golds/vvss books that I got from the same place are all pretty much pristine. This one has the appearance of a book that was passed around a bit.

If I do decide to sell I will slab it though just to silence the paranoid. For now I just like having what is possibly the rarest Valiant book ever made. To me this is better than the Bloodshot 0 platinum.

If I'm keeping it i'd rather not because I'm going to show it off to some people. It's not going to get a 9.4+ anyway since it has some creases that aren't going to press out. A buddy of mine thinks it was made by Valiant as a sample on purpose to see if they should just make all the gold variants the same way with the gold cover on top of the regular cover (which might explain the wear). The other 11 golds/vvss books that I got from the same place are all pretty much pristine. This one has the appearance of a book that was passed around a bit.

If I do decide to sell I will slab it though just to silence the paranoid. For now I just like having what is possibly the rarest Valiant book ever made. To me this is better than the Bloodshot 0 platinum.

There are five golden ticket variants to Unity #1 that we know they only produced one of, so at best it would be a tie. Regarding slabbing double covers, the number on the label is generally the better (usually the inner) cover, so even if the outer has creases, if the inner is better it will grade higher.

I've slabbed double covers before. The wear is similar on both covers. It's not going to make a difference in all likely hood.

I wouldn't trade this for all 5 of those golden ticket Unity issues. Something from the original Valiant line like this is way cooler to me than books that Dinesh decided to add a tiny bit to the barcode area for use in a contest. Maybe I should have said possibly the rarest "original" Valiant book ever made. New Valiant could print up unique 1/1 books all day long if they wanted to. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

It's not fabricated. I've had loads of double covers over the years. I even worked at a printing company for a couple of years if that means anything. Maybe the dye wasn't set properly for some of the covers. Maybe that sheet got in with ones that were stamped correctly, and then the cover also got doubled down. Weird things happen. Everything lines up perfectly. Only 2 staples, no extra holes or tearing , or bend in the staple, no evidence of any tampering etc. It's legit. I've seen some weird comic mishaps over the years. One time I had a book that had two separate cover images printed on the same cover. The books weren't even from the same comic company. (obviously printers print books for multiple companies) Wasn't there a DC book with a Hulk cover printed in the middle of it somehow? That's even more bizarre than this one. My point being that while it is odd, and seems unlikely, it obviously happened because I've got the book right here.

I think my "know better" comment was unclear... I meant that I think it is real despite the very low chance of it happening. Not that it's fake despite the extremely low chance of someone going through the trouble to fake it.

When it comes to automated machine processes, the one in a billion thing happens all the time. How the two cover stocks got mixed is a real stunner. I guess this confirms Valiant ordered both editions from the printer at the same time to save money.

I've slabbed double covers before. The wear is similar on both covers. It's not going to make a difference in all likely hood.

I wouldn't trade this for all 5 of those golden ticket Unity issues. Something from the original Valiant line like this is way cooler to me than books that Dinesh decided to add a tiny bit to the barcode area for use in a contest. Maybe I should have said possibly the rarest "original" Valiant book ever made. New Valiant could print up unique 1/1 books all day long if they wanted to. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I agree, I would only slab that for sale. The condition is irrelevant on a one of a kind thing like that. Why would I need to make sure it's a great copy, it's the only one.

:) Yup. My thinking exactly. I'll be honest, I think I've taken it out of the bag like 10 times now just to look at it.

I agree, I would only slab that for sale. The condition is irrelevant on a one of a kind thing like that. Why would I need to make sure it's a great copy, it's the only one.

Yeah. They determine books with a married cover with a green label. There would be signs if the book had been messed with. Like I mentioned in my above post I have checked it multiple times and it's sound. Everything is secure, everything lines up, no extra staple holes, no tiny rips near the staples, no bend in staples. It's as legit as any double cover I've seen, and I've seen a lot. I look for them all the time.

Yeah. They determine books with a married cover with a green label. There would be signs if the book had been messed with. Like I mentioned in my above post I have checked it multiple times and it's sound. Everything is secure, everything lines up, no extra staple holes, no tiny rips near the staples, no bend in staples. It's as legit as any double cover I've seen, and I've seen a lot. I look for them all the time.

Just pointing out that if selling, the pool of potential buyers, and the ultimate price paid, might be worth the price to slab even something that's one of a kind, since buyers might value that third-party verification of legitimacy. Moot question since you're not selling, but something to keep in mind if your mind changes.

I slab roughly 2000 books a year, and I couldn't possibly fit it in lol . But yeah, I had thought of that to alleviate any skepticism. I doubt I would give it up for anything less than some early Valiant OA honestly. That's my favorite collecting focus. Otherwise I think I'd rather keep it in my Valiant rarities portfolio.