• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

1 week and I have been a very busy boy

02a58cee-55fb-4f2c-b867-fd15b50c2224_zps6nqgoblt.jpg

Remind me what the deal with Harbinger #15 is again. I remember picking up a stack of this issue when it came out for some reason, but I don't remember why. Is this the first Livewire and Stronghold?

So it is. Just double checked. While I do think that the first VEI appearance should be considered more important in this case, there will be people looking for this book that don't read the books. Time to get some of my OO copies graded, I think:

GgGZ8St.jpg

I'm sure I picked up more as I tried to complete my collection.

I've got Wizard #1- #24 if you're missing any scans from certain issues. lol

These scans initially came from me, and I have a bunch more issues scanned (pages about Valiant, the Top 100 and Top 10 back issues lists), and a bunch more to do. I have issues through 109, missing only 2-9, 25, 28, 29, 32, 46, 52, 54, 91, 98, 105 & 106. I'm putting them on eBay soon, so I'll scan those pages before selling them.

So, are you someone from the Valiantfans board...?

hm

Yep. My understanding is that you're a former member? I joined back in 2008 but only became active on the boards in late 2012.

Oh, then you wouldn't be anyone I know. Nevermind. :)

Trying to pinpoint the bloodshot keys as now I think he will be the face of the valiant franchise...know that was a survey question earlier. After seeing all the wizard top 10 postings I and reading all 3 issues, I think eternal warrior 5 is the bloodshot key to have. 4 is meh to me and rai 0 is awesome for so many other reasons. Bye the way who is on the cover of rai 0? Is that bloodshot or rai? Always thouht it was bloodshot. So did rai come out before EW 5 ???

I would like to hear opinions on this.

Thanks!

Trying to pinpoint the bloodshot keys as now I think he will be the face of the valiant franchise...know that was a survey question earlier. After seeing all the wizard top 10 postings I and reading all 3 issues, I think eternal warrior 5 is the bloodshot key to have. 4 is meh to me and rai 0 is awesome for so many other reasons. Bye the way who is on the cover of rai 0? Is that bloodshot or rai? Always thouht it was bloodshot. So did rai come out before EW 5 ???

Thanks!

Eternal Warrior #4 (1st cameo appearance) and Rai #0 (1st Full appearance) are the two keys. Eternal Warrior #5 is important to the story, but is a minor Valiant key.

Thanks!

It's Bloodshot. But supposedly, there is a story behind its origin.

Rai 0 silhouette The Punisher

I want to find the Shooter interview this site references.

I had never heard of an unused Rai 0 cover.

Unpublished original

Thanks!

Eternal Warrior #4 (1st cameo appearance) and Rai #0 (1st Full appearance) are the two keys. Eternal Warrior #5 is important to the story, but is a minor Valiant key.

Thanks for the feedback, I would disagree but want to get a feeling of everyone else. At some point the community thought this was a very important book as it was on the Top 10 wizard list several times

I had always thought it was Rai on the cover!

:facepalm:

:sorry:

I'm not sure there's a wrong answer.

Rai #0

rai0.jpg

The Rai trade paperback from 1993 shows both Rai and Bloodshot in that circle:

Rai trade paperback:

rai.jpg

Rai #1 Companion book (bagged with the Rai trade paperback) - shows Bloodshot (different gun):

raicompanion.jpg

Neither of them has the "shoulder pads" of Rai #0 though. lol

ok, another discussion point.

I came across some HARD corps Comic Defense System No Price Variants this weekend. What other type of 90's valiant variants were there? Not sure if this was discussed yet besides the Rai #0 covers.

ok, another discussion point.

I came across some HARD corps Comic Defense System No Price Variants this weekend. What other type of 90's valiant variants were there? Not sure if this was discussed yet besides the Rai #0 covers.

In addition to the HARDCorps #5 Comic Defense System No Price, there is an X-O Manowar #15 Pink Title No Price. Both are associated with the Comic Defense System (or Ultra Pro) comic protectors.

There is also a green Deathmate Preview that was included with Comic Defense protectors. There is a green Deathmate Preview from Preview Magazine as well.

All of those are pretty common, since there were probably 100,000 comic protector packs around at the time, and lots of copies of Previews in 1993-1994.

The limited variants for Valiant are:

A red variant for Chaos Effect Alpha, where the sky on the cover is red instead of blue... 2,500 copies.

A red variant for Unity #0, where the top quarter of the comic is red instead of blue... 5,000 copies.

In alphabetical order... Gold variants (5,000 copies) for:

Archer & Armstrong #0, Armorines #0, Bloodshot #0, Chaos Effect Omega, Eternal Warrior #1 (two versions), HARDCorps #1, Magnus #21, Ninjak #1, Psi-Lords #1, Rai #9, Second Life of Dr. Mirage #1, Shadowman #0, Turok #1, Unity #1 (gold and platinum versions), X-O Manowar #0

Probably more than 5,000 copies for dual-publisher books like:

Predator vs. Magnus Platinum

Deathmate books (Black, Blue, Red, Yellow, Prologue, Epilogue)

Deathmate Red was extremely delayed, so it might have the fewest Gold.

The most famous (or infamous) Valiant variant is the Bloodshot #0 "Platinum":

No cover price --- all platinum logos

b0plat.jpg

About 15 copies have been located. Perhaps as many as 100 were printed.

This was not an intentional variant for Valiant.

It's possible that someone in production either tested this version as a possible variant or maybe ran a few just for the fun of it.

It's also possible that the gold ink layer may have run out during the printing of the gold variants, which left the "platinum" chromium cover showing (the lowest layer of the chromium cover process). The fact that it has no cover price tells us that it was related to the gold variant somehow.

platinumdifferences.jpg

There are some other variants --- blue versions of trade paperbacks, newsstand editions with price variations, newsstand editions without price variations, second printings, etc.

I made an Excel spreadsheet for collectors years ago that covers the majority of books:

http://valiantfan.com/valiant/vh1list.xls

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, I would disagree but want to get a feeling of everyone else. At some point the community thought this was a very important book as it was on the Top 10 wizard list several times

Check ebay sales. Eternal Warrior #5 is not the key Bloodshot book to own. The wizard list is 20 years old. :baiting:

Just scored some pre-Unity Valiants from 2nC for a buck a piece before they hit the store floor... highlights are Magnus #0 (no card), Magnus #1, Magnus #5, and Magnus #7. Now, I get the significance of the other issues, but what makes #0 significant? Skimmed through the thread quickly before posting, but didn't see anything to suggest why it goes for so much.