• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

Not really a variant, but there were also the Valiant Validated Signature Series books. Several of these I would imagine are some of the rarest Valiant books out there.

I have the Turok #1 with dual signatures and Valiant cert, also still has the original Valiant labeled mylar.

According to the certificate, it is limited to 5,500.

Just scored some pre-Unity Valiants from 2nC for a buck a piece before they hit the store floor... highlights are Magnus #0 (no card), Magnus #1, Magnus #5, and Magnus #7. Now, I get the significance of the other issues, but what makes #0 significant? Skimmed through the thread quickly before posting, but didn't see anything to suggest why it goes for so much.

It's more the rarity. About half of these were distributed to those who cut the coupons from the first 8 issues of Magnus, and the other half were given to retailers as thank yous. So they were never solicited like normal issues.

Just scored some pre-Unity Valiants from 2nC for a buck a piece before they hit the store floor... highlights are Magnus #0 (no card), Magnus #1, Magnus #5, and Magnus #7. Now, I get the significance of the other issues, but what makes #0 significant? Skimmed through the thread quickly before posting, but didn't see anything to suggest why it goes for so much.

Magnus #0 (without card) was a retailer incentive book in 1992.

There weren't a lot of those around at the time.

Magnus #0 (with card) was the sendaway book using the coupons from Magnus #1-#8.

Together, there might be 20,000 copies total... which is much lower than Magnus #1-#8.

The inside cover states that it was the first Valiant universe story created.

As far as a key Valiant books from the 1990s go... Magnus #0 is in the conversation near the top.

Valiant collectors who only want key issues for characters still in the Valiant universe might not need a copy of Magnus #0, Magnus #1, Magnus #12, or Solar #1... which were keys 20 years go.

But the Valiant collectors who want to own all the best Valiant books will want Magnus #0. (thumbs u

Not really a variant, but there were also the Valiant Validated Signature Series books. Several of these I would imagine are some of the rarest Valiant books out there.

I have the Turok #1 with dual signatures and Valiant cert, also still has the original Valiant labeled mylar.

According to the certificate, it is limited to 5,500.

Yes, when the Valiant Validated Signature Series started, the demand was high and they did 5,500 copies.

Turok #1, Magnus #25, Rai #9.

Toward the end of the series, the number created dropped.

PSI-Lords #1 VVSS has a certificate that states 800 copies.

Geomancer #1 VVSS and Rai #21 VVSS state "less than 1,000".

The toughest VVSS to find has been Eternal Warrior #27 VVSS.

Trying to pinpoint the bloodshot keys as now I think he will be the face of the valiant franchise...know that was a survey question earlier. After seeing all the wizard top 10 postings I and reading all 3 issues, I think eternal warrior 5 is the bloodshot key to have. 4 is meh to me and rai 0 is awesome for so many other reasons. Bye the way who is on the cover of rai 0? Is that bloodshot or rai? Always thouht it was bloodshot. So did rai come out before EW 5 ???

I would like to hear opinions on this.

Thanks!

Eternal Warrior #4 (1st cameo appearance) and Rai #0 (1st Full appearance) are the two keys. Eternal Warrior #5 is important to the story, but is a minor Valiant key.

Thanks for the feedback, I would disagree but want to get a feeling of everyone else. At some point the community thought this was a very important book as it was on the Top 10 wizard list several times

Check ebay sales. Eternal Warrior #5 is not the key Bloodshot book to own. The wizard list is 20 years old. :baiting:

:facepalm:

2nd & Charles.... hm

Where are you located?

Columbia, SC... I've found so many nice books here for a buck or (less often) two, that I'd say this store is what got me back into collecting full swing after ten years of non-interest. Within the month of opening I had found, among other less notable issues, UXM 266 and NM 98 for a buck a pop.

Check ebay sales. Eternal Warrior #5 is not the key Bloodshot book to own. The wizard list is 20 years old. :baiting:

:facepalm:

No problem. I just want to make sure you have the correct information. Eternal Warrior #5 is still a book to collect if you are a Bloodshot fan. (thumbs u

What makes #0 significant is that it is awesome. For $1, I'd be jumping for delight inside.

But otherwise, it's the very first Valiant superhero story ever written, and you couldn't just buy it off the shelves.

(Man, I still have completely sharp memories of my when Valiant was new.)

Which of the Magnus 0's are more desirable?

I have one with the card that is in great shape.

Just curious, as I'm not selling anything. It's a book I got from a LCS many moons ago.

To back up this question with another, is there any way to distinguish a difference between comics pressed without the card and comics that previously had the card yet was carefully removed? If not, I'd imagine the one with the card to be more valuable?

Which of the Magnus 0's are more desirable?

I have one with the card that is in great shape.

Just curious, as I'm not selling anything. It's a book I got from a LCS many moons ago.

Magnus #0 with card is more desirable.

Exactly! These were produced based on the number of coupons submitted, versus the retailer incentive that was based on Magnus orders placed. And the card is from Barry Windsor-Smith, which makes it even more desirable.

Magnus1card.jpg

All of the trading cards were released later as an uncut sheet (400-450 released?).

Magnus_posterampblack_card_sheet.jpg

The reason I hoard Magnus 0 (&, to a great extent, built that CGC silver age Gold Key set)?

The very first Previews I ever saw highlighted Magnus # 1 as a "Gem of the Month" and explained the Magnus 0 (w/ BWS art) coupon giveaway.

While I ultimately passed on the stack of Magnus 1s at my LCS when they were released (even with a sticky noting it was the employees' favorite book released that month) because it was too "sci-fi" rather than "superhero" for my taste, I jumped aboard with Magnus 12 off the shelf.

But as to why I hoard Magnus 0? My LCS had a copy (with card) in their Showcase with a $90 price tag, right next to Platinum Spider-Man 1, ASM 129, AF 15 and (yes) Detective 27.

For a time it was seen as that exclusive.

Harbinger 0 pink never had that hype because it was so delayed that by the time it was released it never really matched Harbinger 1 in price (say, $60-$75 for Harbinger 0, vs. $125 for Harbinger 1). Also, Harbinger 0 was readily available via the blue version w/ the trade paperback.

Magnus was the cornerstone of the VH1 ('91-96), just as Solar was the cornerstone of VH2 (Acclaim) and (arguably) X-O is the cornerstone of VEI today.

Harbinger 0 is also a good one to pick up. 2nd printing Blue Cover (non mail away version was blue instead of the mail away pink) and included in the Trade Paperback.

Really cheap for the non mail away issue, but a key Harbinger book.