• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

I've got Wizard #1- #24 if you're missing any scans from certain issues. lol

These scans initially came from me, and I have a bunch more issues scanned (pages about Valiant, the Top 100 and Top 10 back issues lists), and a bunch more to do. I have issues through 109, missing only 2-9, 25, 28, 29, 32, 46, 52, 54, 91, 98, 105 & 106. I'm putting them on eBay soon, so I'll scan those pages before selling them.

This is where things get fun. Speculation in full force:

jnRF6Ht.jpg

Turok #1 ---- the Valiant book sometimes blamed for the whole market crash... was #6 in its month.

I rarely hear the Reign of the Supermen cited as the reason for the crash... but if you're looking for landfill books... there are more of EACH of them than Turok #1. lol

I just realized... the market was just about to die when every comic shop was FULL of books that said "Funeral For A Friend".

The market was our friend... then it wasn't... we were having our own industry's funeral. hm

Perhaps Reign of the Supermen was the straw that broke the industry's back...

and to signify the near death of the industry... DC literally broke Batman's back. hm hm

Quick -- stockpile the other Top 10 books, like New Warriors 1+2, Darkhawk 1, Gen 13 mini # 1!

My favorite of Wizard's speculation "spotlight on" column was back when Marvel made the big media splash with Northstar coming out as gay in Alpha Flight 106.

Wizard pointed out that DC did it more than a year earlier when the Pied Piper came out to The Flash in Flash vol. 2 # 53 (also a Superman v. Flash race issue).

Like a sheep, I went out & got like 7 copies of Flash 53, only to see it do nada. Cool story though (both on the Superman & Pied Piper fronts).

Lovin these! Really appreciate you taking the time to scan these and share

Credit goes to GeeksAreMyPeeps --- he did the scanning --- I was trying to document the "crazy years" for Valiant, so he supplied some proof.

I didn't realize 2015 would be a crazy year, too. lol