• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I'll Probably Order Never Another Book From Mile High (a Little Long)

115 posts in this topic

These days, there is really only once circumstance when I will place an order with MHC - I need random modern age issues to fill some holes in some incomplete runs and strict NM or better is not required.

Pick out enough for free shipping, utilize the code word, get books.

In fact, I'm waiting on my first purchase from MHC in about 3-4 years, about a dozen New52 issues to fill some runs I got super cheap from Craigslist.

:banana:

This is why I only buy from them if I'm doing so through their ebay store on $1-$3 filler books.

Same here. Filled in a lot of my run of New 52 Batman and Suicide Squad as well as some older Marvel stuff like Annihilation and the tie-ins for ~$1 an issue. Even got a NM Legends 3 for $1.20 before the movie hype.

My experience has been good, but I rarely buy from them and it has been a year since my last purchase. I had a single comic that they no longer had, nothing heating up, and they gave me a $20 credit for my next order. Used that credit and one comic I order was Captain America 6 for about $2. Well, surprise surprise, they must have found out how much it's worth and told me they were out, but once again, I got another $20 credit. And I really didn't even have to order from them again as they deposited the $20 straight into my Paypal account.

Watch Chuck's new video on youtube. It will explain everything mentioned here.

Fascinating. It was good to hear his side. I'd never heard him speak before, nor have I seen him in person, or visited his "store". I get where he's coming from now, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the suggestion on the video. It actually does explain it. He really doesn't want to sell it seems. Which would be great except for his emails of constant pleading for sales and complaining about lack of sales at SDCC and other cons to the comic book media. Seems to me he wants all the money and all the comics. If his warehouses are worth so much why not sell them move to a cheaper rent district buy a massive warehouse and swim in his books like Scrooge Mcduck. I've got quite a few long boxes I'll even sell him for 30 bucks a pop! :D

Watch Chuck's new video on youtube. It will explain everything mentioned here.

You would think with the hundreds of millions of dollars of comics he has sold, he could afford a tripod to shoot that damn video with. I was getting motion sickness when I watched it.

I'm amazed anyone here still orders from them at all after Chuck R's plea for business due to those inconvenienced by the New York Flood from Hurricane Sandy who were unable to make purchases during the crisis.

But... ya know... cool books. :eyeroll:

This is the exact reason I stopped ordering from MHC two years ago. I have never personally experienced bad customer service when dealing with them and there are good deals to be had if you monitor the site regularly and wait for 50-60% discount codes. And generally speaking I don't even really mind the constant hucksterism, but I could no longer do business with Chuck after he attempted to make money off of a natural disaster that affected millions of people.

at around 6:30 in the TPB back room, he explains the answer, pretty interesting. I have read his other stuff from time to time, and I know he operates from a different underlying principle.

Everything that people view as common and easy to get, he thinks one day will be very hard to get.

Although moderns are preserved from the moment they are printed and everyone views them as easy to get. I think (and there is some merit to it), he views it from two alternative points of view.

1.) The absolute number of comics being printed has essentially declined continuously. What constitutes a top selling series from the Big 2 nowadays is (for the most part) the lowest its ever been and still falling.

2.) Books, overtime, continue to be dispersed. Moving from points of high concentration to low concentration. From retailers, to individuals, etc. Eventually, the stuff printed now, though not rare compared to GA/SA, and preserved much better than in previous years, will be dispersed to the point where it just cant but easily found. There is no more over printing, no warehouse finds of moderns will ever occur, etc.

I think he believes he will eventually be the only place you can find what you are looking for, and its that long term strategy that he operates towards, and is speaking of in the video.

The biggest question is how does Chuck stay so thin.......

If I lived in THAT state, and smoked THAT much dope, I would either have to join the circus, or I would be one of those people getting cut out of their house that you see on TV. That's how much weight I would gain.

Code word : MUNCHIES

I don't get it. He sounds off his rocker. He doesn't want to sell comics but he's sure interested in their value - especially how that value goes up the older something is.

I think he's just a very focused hoarder. Why else would he be happy to hold on to 30 copies of a TBP that'll either be in print for the foreseeable future or will be reprinted later with a new cover and additional material?

Getting back to the original topic though, I'd be pretty frustrated by the entire ordeal. It they had communicated to you that they we low on stock and couldn't sell you that many then fine, but to just not give you the books you ordered without communicating anything is terrible.

For the record, My Comic Shop did this to me...

I liked a book because it was a sketch variant graded 9.8, pulled the trigger on a Friday Night.

The next day, Saturday was one of the major comic conventions and they released news of a movie.

Monday my order gets canceled, and shortly after the book jumps from 90 to 300 on their site.

Mile High and MCS have both sent me laughable books advertised as "NM".

Every seller on eBay and MyComicShop fulfilled their orders on Valiant books that I snagged as the announcement hit. Could they have said that something went wrong? I guess. But EVERY seller fulfilled their obligation. They are all saved in my favorite sellers lists to see what I can get in the future.

Chuck is a jerk. He always has been. He always will be.

I guess this whole thread boils down to 2 things.

1. They handled the order wrong. They took the order shipped me 5 percent of the order. Took away the free shipping, charged the insurance rate for the whole order and increased his price 1000 percent. No matter what widget you sell this is horrible practice.

2. He has created a video defending himself against what he sees as enemies which are probably just customers like me. He then goes on to explain he doesnt care about sales. This is crazy considering its the same person who complains in newsletters that sandy hurt his business, sales at sdcc are awful, and just this past week the stress of company debt was really getting to him.

He should change his website to a 1 comic qty. Per issue. Each time an order is placed double the price of that comic. This would assure no one would ever get a good deal from him and he would always have an increasing inventory year after year.

I think that MCS grading is pretty tight to tell the truth. Usually the raw books I have purchased come back higher than the advertised grade. Last book I submitted through them was a Weird Fantasy 11. It was purchased as a 5.0 and just came back from Voldemort as a 7.0.