• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

negotiation skills

133 posts in this topic

A lot of books on ebay are priced over double what the sold auctions are showing so a 50% offer is entirely legitimate-if they decline, all I gotta do is wait-I always get the book I want at the going price.

They can huff and puff all they want

I have been doing okay by asking if the price is "firm". Today I asked if I could get a break by buying a bunch of retailer variant/wall books. The store owner asked "how many is a bunch?" and I said "I have a hundred dollar bill. What would spending it all get me?" He got up from his chair in the back of the store immediately while saying "I haven't wheeled and dealed in a long time!" It got better from there. He offered a kewl book as a bonus, I made a counter offer and while he thought it over for a good minute or so I took out the hundred dollar bill. "let's do it" were his next words. Then we both wondered if I could get the agreed upon value off the wall! I did.

So be courteous and show them the money! Money on the counter is hard to turn down in these parts.

My negotiation skills are lacking :(

Does anybody find it offensive when a buyer ask what is the lowest price the seller is willing to let something go offensive versus putting in a low ball offer? Or is that the same?

Offensive? No. Irritating? Absolutely. It makes me think the "potential buyer" isn't really serious and we're just wasting time. 10 times out of 10, I'd prefer a lowball offer as a starting point over the above phrase.

A lot of books on ebay are priced over double what the sold auctions are showing so a 50% offer is entirely legitimate-if they decline, all I gotta do is wait-I always get the book I want at the going price.

Really you use sold auctions as your justification? That can be skewed wildly either way.

I have been doing okay by asking if the price is "firm". Today I asked if I could get a break by buying a bunch of retailer variant/wall books. The store owner asked "how many is a bunch?" and I said "I have a hundred dollar bill. What would spending it all get me?" He got up from his chair in the back of the store immediately while saying "I haven't wheeled and dealed in a long time!" It got better from there. He offered a kewl book as a bonus, I made a counter offer and while he thought it over for a good minute or so I took out the hundred dollar bill. "let's do it" were his next words. Then we both wondered if I could get the agreed upon value off the wall! I did.

So be courteous and show them the money! Money on the counter is hard to turn down in these parts.

Yeah that pretty well sums it up. Cash still works especially well with smaller dealers.

Really you use sold auctions as your justification? That can be skewed wildly either way.

Well for high dollar books yes but like a $20 book no one's gonna bother.

Someone has a $20 JIM BIN for $50 I shoot em a $20 offer. If they decline I just wait.

Yeah that pretty well sums it up. Cash still works especially well with smaller dealers.

I was in the store yesterday as well.("Forget something?" he asked as I walked in today. "Yeah, I want to see the turtle die!" I said.) But when I was there on Wed I asked why he was closed on Monday when I came by during open store hours. "If I don't get to the bank on Monday there may not be books on Wednesday" was his answer. Hence the $100 bill.

I sell mostly live at shows and flea markets. All kinds of vintage "Americana". I like most dealers, have the "discount" already figured into the price. ie: $225.00 automatically means $200. If I quote a price and am asked "What is your best price?" I ask them "What did you have in mind?" If I don't get a reasonable reply, I give them my best price. When they come back and try to go lower I reply "You asked for my best price, and that is what it is". I won't say I still won't go down a bit if the buyer is nice, pays cash, it is a big enough sale or others reasons. But "best price" means just what it says usually.

I also hate 1/2 price offers or whiners. I've been know to take it out of their hands and put it behind the table and tell them it's not for sale.

I had a kid find a hot movie book in my 1/2 guide box once and offer me less (only book he wanted of course). I put it in the car and told him "When some one gives you a sweet deal, don't insult him, take the book and run". He was shocked because he thought I was too stupid to know better.

I once had a whiner who wanted a book behind the table that I told him wasn't for sale. I'd bought it for myself. He kept coming back all day and whining and offering me next to nothing for it. Finally, I said OK, took his money and tore it in half before I handed it to him. I thought the kid was going to cry or wet his pants. (Yeah, I gave him his money back)

The other thing I hate is when some one tells me "It isn't worth that". I usually look him in the eyes and say "You are entirely right. This is something that was thrown away, 99% of the world wouldn't give me a dollar for it. You don't believe me? Take it to 7-11 and see if they will give you a carton of milk for it, It is worth that price for me to take it home". That ends that discussion fast...

I have made a good number of lowball offers here on the Boards, and have made many of them into deals.

BUT! I wait at least a full day after an item is posted, giving the seller a fair shot at selling the item at their asking price.

This seems to work well for me.

If I want it badly enough and the price seems fair I fly the flag, no negotiations

I have a good relationship with several Boardies, and I have no fear of PM'ing them asking what they will let a book go at.

eBay is a totally different story though.

I'm fair, and usually offer a tad under GPA, but I usually get declined, and countered with an unacceptable offer.

I usually just stick with auctions on eBay.

I usually go like this...

Would you consider $x including shipping to NY for the book?

If they say yes, then great.

If they counter, then I consider it either way and respond yes or no.

Sometimes I get what I want. Sometimes I do not.

I love auto decline. Its let me not have to deal with buyers who think a starting offer is 50% of asking price.

I've sold more than one book on eBay by responding to those 50% offers with a counter offer.

People are just trying to get the lowest price they can - I doubt many people go around on eBay clicking best offers just to get a rise out of someone :)

The thing that annoys me from the buyer side... people on eBay who list an item Best Offer capable that then program it to deny anything other than basically their asking price.

Thanks for wasting my time - I typically put them on ignore when I stumble across them.

I once had a whiner who wanted a book behind the table that I told him wasn't for sale. I'd bought it for myself. He kept coming back all day and whining and offering me next to nothing for it. Finally, I said OK, took his money and tore it in half before I handed it to him. I thought the kid was going to cry or wet his pants. (Yeah, I gave him his money back)

eric-cartman-110.jpg

I usually go into a purchase knowing what I WILL pay for a book and I find a middle ground. If it's something that is readily available I don't sweat it. I can walk away easily. I'm of the understanding that dealers are In the business of making money and I want to buy for as low as possible...finding a middle is key.

I typically ignore questions like what is the lowest you will take. I will negotiate with people if they sub an offer. If I want something I throw out an offer and start from there.

It's strange, isn't it, how we analyze, interpret and discuss an "awkward social moment" online when transacting about a good that interests both our pocketbooks and our passions?

As for board transactions:

I've asked people for their best price. Some deflect the question by requesting your best offer, some folks tell you, but you don't know unless you ask. When I'm asked, I might respond with a price, or I might ask them what they have in mind.

If someone pitches me an egregious lowball, I'll politely but flatly decline and not offer a counter-price. They can throw me something closer to my strike zone before I bother to take my first swing. I have one of these in my inbox now.

As for eBay:

Here's what I dislike most about BIN auto-responses. Sometimes I make my first bid, something I think is fair but what I hope is on their low end, and the damned thing accepts my bid. I might've saved another $10!

7SiNcGH.gif

If people could remain professional and not get huffy about offers they might be better salesmen-why get huffy at someone offering 50%? I've had such offers accepted before. Just remain detached and counteroffer. Hell you might sell some other items too or build up a rapport and have a repeat customer.

Getting huffy has never accomplished anything good-ever.

If people could remain professional and not get huffy about offers they might be better salesmen-why get huffy at someone offering 50%? I've had such offers accepted before. Just remain detached and counteroffer. Hell you might sell some other items too or build up a rapport and have a repeat customer.

Getting huffy has never accomplished anything good-ever.

I once made an offer to a guy on the stipulation that he work the word "huffy" into a post at least three times.