• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Please Silver Surfer # 1 9.2 or FF #50 9.2?

29 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm more of a "causal" collector who has revisited my early 90s youth and have been buying 9.2 copies of key books of certain characters I collected years ago.I have been custom framing them as art under UV glass in my man cave and to date my CGC 9.2 collection includes : Hulk 181, ASM 129, Marvel Spotlight 5, GS X-Men 1 , Dare Devil 7.

I'm not looking for FF #48 as I want a key Surfer appearance where his character has a main spot on the cover.

I'm currently between FF #50 and SS #1 both in 9.2 and would like some imput on which one is the better investment /more rare in the 9.2 grade, and more popular / key in the characters history .

Thanks.

Welcome to the boards! Let me recommend that you check the CGC Census- that will give you some insight into the degree of scarcity for each in 9.2.

The real question you can ask yourself is which book do you prefer? The FF 50's cover with Kirby's Surfer or Buscema's SS 1 cover? Would you also prefer a number 1 issue from the Marvel's '68 expansion or the 3rd part of the greatest cosmic trilogy of the Silver Age?

I'm not going to recommend which one is the better investment - these books are so much more to me than an investment. Collecting these classics is a passion- neither one will disappoint the collector!

.... also, the Surfer 4 might make a nice display book from a cover standpoint. the FF 50 would be much tougher in 9.2, but the SS 1 is still a # 1...... I'd have to flip a coin, that's how close it is..... but then I'm an FF fan..... so probably the 50 (...for me)...... but It's not my man cave.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Definitely the Surfer 1 for me as well, although Jimbo brings up a heckuva point with the # 4!

There's just something about the backdrop of the #1 that gets me every time. There's no doubt the cosmic feel is much more present there than on the FF50 brown.

...plus....the cover of SS 1 was a US Stamp........ GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....whichever one the OP ends up with..... get it because you LOVE it....... you're the one who'll have to walk past it every Monday morning with a hangover.....

If you are comparing only FF #50 and SS #1 then I definitely agree with everyone on the SS #1.

Not only is it a classic cover but it is also a HUGE issue. So finding a MN copy would be pretty hard compared to the regular sized FF #50.

yeah, id go with SS1 too, it jsut stands out so much more, and if you are mounting them for display, it would look awesome.

And ive never been convinced about the Human Torch in college! bit at the bottom...

It's a very hard decision. I keep going back and forth. I'm probably 55/45 for FF #50. I tend to like the brown cover, the fantastic four connection, and the fact that the census numbers are much lower in 9.2 and higher.

Both are great books making the decision almost impossible.

Yeah I agree with the rest SS #1 all the way. Besides FF #50's are not that rare and seem to be the least expesive in that issue group.

To me, the easier appears #48, but it’s also the more sought after, so it might be perceived as less common but in fact it’s not…

I would choose FF#50 myself, I just love that cover. :)

It's a very hard decision. I keep going back and forth. I'm probably 55/45 for FF #50. I tend to like the brown cover, the fantastic four connection, and the fact that the census numbers are much lower in 9.2 and higher.

Sounds like you've made your decision to me. You're going to have to look at it every day. Pick the cover you like best. Get it because you love it, not because it's an investment.

I'm sure the vast majority of the collectors here have some high dollar books. I know I do. They're worth a lot of money. The problem is you have to be able to live with selling them, which I know I can't. So it's not really an investment if you don't ever intend to part with it.

Having 50,000 shares of AAPL is fantastic if you cash out. If not, you just own 50,000 shares of AAPL.

Sounds like you've made your decision to me. You're going to have to look at it every day. Pick the cover you like best. Get it because you love it, not because it's an investment.

I'm sure the vast majority of the collectors here have some high dollar books. I know I do. They're worth a lot of money. The problem is you have to be able to live with selling them, which I know I can't. So it's not really an investment if you don't ever intend to part with it.

Having 50,000 shares of AAPL is fantastic if you cash out. If not, you just own 50,000 shares of AAPL.

Exactly my point. ;)

They're both great covers. If it's me, I'm all about Silver Surfer #1. But, as someone also mentioned above, Surfer #4 is quite amazing too. It's been my favorite comic book cover (period) for years.

Good luck! Pick the one you like best (always good advice).

SS 1. Both great covers but there is something iconic about a #1 and SS getting his own comic book. From a value standpoint SS 1 has the greater potential and compares favorably to Iron Man 1. The brown cover is nice though....