• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Flash Story Arcs

18 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

Just wanted a bit of advice, I recently got round to reading a few early Flash issues (on my iPad, can't afford real comics!) and found I really enjoyed them - I am trying to widen my reading here outside of Marvel haha

Just wondering if there are any particuarly good issues / arcs you can recommend picking up, or maybe I should start at 1 and keep going.....

P.

Which series are you reading? The SA doesn't start at 1, so you'll need to be a bit more specific about which Flash you're interested in reading. He's the only DC character I read and collect, though it may be sacrilege here to say that my Flash is Wally (never got into the SA Barry stuff).

Mark Waid's 1st run on the book is probably my favorite. I believe it started issue 62 of the 1987 series. One of the all time great matches between character and creator.

sorry guys, noobish post, I started with Jay Garrick in Flash Comics number 1 (only one on the DC iPad app), and then moved onto the Barry Allen Showcase 4, which I think I prefer to be honest.

So yeah, good Barry Allen stuff would be a good start.

- 'Born to Run', issues 62 to 65

- 'The Return of Barry Allen, issues 74 to 79

- 'Reckless Youth', issues 92 to 94

- 'Terminal Velocity', issues 95 to 100

- 'Blitz', issues 197 to 200

- 'Born to Run', issues 62 to 65

- 'The Return of Barry Allen, issues 74 to 79

- 'Reckless Youth', issues 92 to 94

- 'Terminal Velocity', issues 95 to 100

- 'Blitz', issues 197 to 200

I'd second all those, for a start. I forgot how good Waid's original run was, and the return of Barry storyline was excellent. I'm working on putting the 247 issue Wally run back together after foolishly selling off all my OO run about a decade ago.

sorry guys, noobish post, I started with Jay Garrick in Flash Comics number 1 (only one on the DC iPad app), and then moved onto the Barry Allen Showcase 4, which I think I prefer to be honest.

So yeah, good Barry Allen stuff would be a good start.

Since you're interested in the Silver Age Barry Allen character, there are some hidden gems, depending on whether you're more into the artwork or comics history.

For some of the most polished art of the DC Silver Age, check out these issues where Murphy Anderson inks Infantino's pencils:

Flash 110 first Weather Wizard

Flash 111 "Invasion of the Cloud Creatures"

Flash 114

Flash 115

Flash 117 first Capt Boomerang

Flash 118

Flash 119

Flash 148

Flash 149

Flash 150

The Gorilla Grodd 3-parter is a fun one, from what I remember

Flash 106

Flash 107

Flash 108

The double-Flash issues contain a lot of Silver Age history:

Flash 123

Flash 129

Flash 137 (JSA returns)

Flash 151

And a few others stand out:

Flash 131 - GL crossover

Flash 135 - Kid Flash change

Flash 139 - first Reverse Flash

Mark Waid's 1st run on the book is probably my favorite. I believe it started issue 62 of the 1987 series. One of the all time great matches between character and creator.

Haven't read those, but that does sound like a perfect match.