• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARCH Madness Grading Contest

616 posts in this topic

Dice, er Death, you're still missing two second round columns! then comes Sweet Sixteen foreheadslap.gif

No respect at all!

That's what I have...refresh your browser. Oh and thanks for letting me know via PM like I asked. thumbsup2.gif

Geez! Have you ever used the words "thank you"? refresh this thumbsup2.gif

"thank you?" For what? What did you do for me? How did I benefit from your post? confused-smiley-013.gif

Dice, er Death, you're still missing two second round columns! then comes Sweet Sixteen foreheadslap.gif

No respect at all!

That's what I have...refresh your browser. Oh and thanks for letting me know via PM like I asked. thumbsup2.gif

"thank you?" For what? What did you do for me? How did I benefit from your post? confused-smiley-013.gif

I suppose not. Why dis me?

No respect at all!

I suppose not. Why dis me?

slow night? confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

still daylight from my window poke2.gif unfortunately, work is a bear right now - leaving town for the weekend tomorrow morning . . . flowerred.gif

Next time we have lunch, remind me to bring my 1994 Sotheby's Comic Books and Comic Art catalog. There is a nude Frazetta painting of Vampirella based on the cover of Vampirella #1 that you have to see. cloud9.gif

still daylight from my window poke2.gif unfortunately, work is a bear right now - leaving town for the weekend tomorrow morning . . . flowerred.gif

Next time we have lunch, remind me to bring my 1994 Sotheby's Comic Books and Comic Art catalog. There is a nude Frazetta painting of Vampirella based on the cover of Vampirella #1 that you have to see. cloud9.gif

Is it this one or something different?

394010-Frazetta%20Vampi%201%20Cover%20Painted%20Over.jpg

foreheadslap.gif

I have the 1993, all of the 1995, 1996, 1997, and 2000 catalogs. No 1994 Sotheby's catalog. frown.gif

Thanks for posting Jayman. laugh.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I have the 1993, all of the 1995, 1996, 1997, and 2000 catalogs. No 1994 Sotheby's catalog. frown.gif

I'm not certain on my facts here but I believe I heard that Frank reworked over the original painting! 893whatthe.gif If that is true I think it's a shame, removing the clothing adds nothing to it IMHO. If you look at Vampi's feet I think it looks as if he just painted over her boots. frown.gif

I DEMAND A RESUB! I'DVE GOTTEN AN 8.5 on that book!! sign-rantpost.gif

Ooops. I mean, Congrats, NR! . flowerred.gif

9.4 my 893censored-thumb.gif.

I agree completely. A 9.4 with 4 soft corners and a chip in the back cover? You've got to be fvck1ng kidding me... foreheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif

I don't know whether to be more pissed about being knocked out in Round 1 or the fact that I never get grades like that... 893censored-thumb.gif

How a book with a piece missing out of the back cover gets a 9.4...I'll never know. confused.gif

Damn you greggy....damn you to hell!!! flowerred.gif

poke2.gif

What a bunch of whiners! 27_laughing.gif

Nikos - I may be mistaken, but it looks to me like that chip out on the back cover may be a production defect - are the pages right there also notched/nicked/whatever you want to call it? I've seen many a silver age Marvel with uneven cover edges where the pages are equally uneven, and I believe this is caused by the cutting process, and I don't believe CGC downgrades for this defect.

I went with a 9.2 on this one, although at first impression I was thinking 8.5-9.0-ish due to the soiling/dull color. Upon closer inspection, the spine does not appear to have any spine stress, and the spine corners are pretty sharp. Therefore, I concluded that the book was probably pretty fresh/tight and without any real notable creases or tears (that little bindery tear at the top of the spine is allowed in OS up to 9.4 I believe) I upped my grade. thumbsup2.gif

Funny, I went the exact opposite. I did a quick view at work and thought 9.2 but over the next day I kept coming back looking over the scans, and seeing more defects, which had me thinking 9.2 was too high.

Oh well, maybe there can be a Group B for the 32 gone to follow along? Hell I can use the grading practice.

Thanks again Nikos, I enjoyed my 15 minutes in the game.... thumbsup2.gif

#25 fantasyfootballbono vs. #10 jeffreykli

Looks like FFB is going to have to work for it. smile.gif

Jesus, I'm just glad that I didn't get flat out eliminated. When I saw that the book was a 9.4, I thought I was toast. (And of course, I still might be.)

So my fellow teammates rjpb AND inconceivable both got knocked off in the first round? Inconceivable! 893whatthe.gif

Looks like we all guessed 9.0. At least you still have overtime. Sometimes it is better to be lucky. And thanks to Nik's kids for putting me up against one of the 6 (good job imagemask btw) who got the 9.4. Good luck to everyone else.

tonofbricks.gif

Dan

Thank you. Thank you very much. Was gonna go 9.2 cause that chunk out the BC but other than that and the LRC the book looked pretty solid. We'll see how I do next round. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No Alex was one of the 6 that nailed it, the others were

Fan4Fan

Aces

Scrooge

Imagemask

DiceX by far the funniest PM

bumpit.gif

This post was worthy of a bump.

bumpit.gif

yay.gif

Fan4Fan

Aces

Scrooge

Imagemask

bumpit.gif

bumpit.gif

yay.gif

sleeping.gif

Fan4Fan

Aces

Scrooge

Imagemask

bumpit.gif

bumpit.gif

yay.gif

sleeping.gif

poke2.gifhi.gif

Fan4Fan

Aces

Scrooge

Imagemask

Way to go Imagemask! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It's nice to see another member of the old team hitting a bullseye. thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I goofed anyway. It's in the 1991 catalog, not the 1994 catalog. foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

I reveal myself as the lowballer who submitted the 7.0.

"I was sure the scratch going across Cyclops' forearms and into his chest knocked it down a bit."

Umm yeah, and the spine crinkle beneathe the scratch, the lower right corner blunting and crease, slight miswrap,and the small chip on the back cover, the top right corner on the back looks like it has a small rip, the sheer amount of dirt on the back cover..

/shrug

I clearly have no clue how to grade comics at all.

The good news is my collection "suddenly" is filled with 9.4's that were 7.0's

In all seriousness, I think It is that grading comics from a scan is much more difficult than grading the comic in front of you. Maybe the dirt isnt as bad in person, maybe the scratch across the front cover isnt noticeable.

I am humbled.

Artboy99

Sorry about your luck Artboy99. If it's any consolation, my submitted grade was 9.2 so you were in a world of hurt even if you graded it anywhere from 9.0 or lower.

From my perspective, the only thing I really factored into my grade was the back cover chip and the LR corner blunting & crease.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif that gives me a 2.2 point winning point spread... might hold that record spread for the entire contest... poke2.gif

Is it this one or something different?

Yes, that's the one! cloud9.gif

Fan4Fan

Aces

Scrooge

Imagemask

bumpit.gif

bumpit.gif

yay.gif